• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Need advice

TKR virgin

Country
United States United States
Hi, wondering if I could hear your thoughts on cemented vs non-cemented TKR's. I've gone to see 2 surgeons and am trying to figure out which way to go. One uses a computer based system and the other does a hands on approach as well as one uses cement and the other doesn't. I have faith in both of them but one spends more time explaining things so that's a plus. It's taken me a long time to just accept the fact that I need this surgery and now I'm having the hardest time trying to figure out which way to go. Any advice would be appreciated. So glad to have found this site!

Jaycey

SUPER MODERATOR
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@TKR virgin Welcome to BoneSmart! Sorry no one got back to you yesterday.

Please don't worry about cemented or non-cement. What is most important is 1) how many TKRs your surgeon does per year and 2) how comfortable you feel about working with them. I would want to go with the surgeon who is willing to spend the time discussing things with you. In my mind they don't have to have great bedside manner. But this is a big deal for the patient so you need to feel comfortable.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
^ What Jaycey said.

My OS used a computer guidance system with my first knee but by the time I had my second he had stopped using it. I think he found he got just as good results "by hand" so to speak. My 2nd knee turned out even better than the first (though the first knee was worse going in so it probably was nothing to do with the computer or not technique.)

maryo52

Sr Bonesmartie
Country
Choose the surgeon with the most experience and trust them to do their best with your knee.

Keep in mind that their interpersonal skills are not a reflection of their skills as a surgeon!

OP
OP
T

TKR virgin

Country
Besides asking directly, is there any other way of finding out how many replacements they do per year. I've already had an appt and didn't ask this question.

Jockette

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You can call the office and ask.

possum65

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
For me, bedside manner is not so important as the experience and skill of the surgeon.

OP
OP
T

TKR virgin

Country
Thank you for the reply’s ! I think I made up my mind and I am going to go for the cemented version with the computer guided system. I will call tomorrow to make an appt to get things moving. Hoping to get a June date for my new knee, been dealing with this since last August!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kurt_H
Recent bookmarks

Trending hash tags