THR Need advice on Chiropractic treatment

Rdwolfe94

Country
United States United States
It has been awhile since I have been on here. People were great on here and helped me through my recovery. I had my right hip replaced on 08/07/19. Since March 20, 2020 of this year, I have rode my outdoor bike 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, I fell down my basement steps 15 days ago. I went to the emergency room that night. The X-rays were negative and showed no dislocation or fracture. I go to my PCP next Monday as a follow up as I am still bruised up pretty good. Have been back on the bike 2x since the fall, no pain. Most the pain and swelling that remains is around the hip joint i.e. lower back, rib. No actual hip pain.

My question is, my Chiropractor has been adjusting my S.I. joints since my replacement with me face down. Last night, he adjusted my SI joint on my replacement side with my replacement side in the air and lying on my good side. This is the first time I have been adjusted this way (I believe it is called a lumbar roll). I feel fine today. However, is it safe to have this type of adjustment on my replaced side. was hoping to get an answer if this was a safe way to be adjusted with the new joint. Was hoping @Layla or @Mojo333 could let me know whether this type of adjustment is safe?

Thanks,

Bob

Last edited:
@Rdwolfe94 I think this is a better question for your Chiropractor? Did they say why they did the adjustment differently this time?

I had SI joint adjustments by an osteopath post LTHR and they were always done face down.

@Jaycey. I asked him before he did it. He said it was so badly out and that is was safe. He said he was able to adjust it without effecting the S.I. joint. But isn't the S.I. joint part of the hip?

But isn't the S.I. joint part of the hip?
No, the SI joint isn't part of the hip. Here's a good illustration. The arrows in the lower part of the image are the hips.
SI-Joint.jpg

Thanks. I have seen posts in the past where others said they had the type of adjustment I had and they said they had no problems. I just can't believe I feel down my basement stairs. I was doing so well.

I go to a chiropractor. I don't think he's changed his adjustments at all from pre to post hip replacement surgery. And yes, I told him about the surgery.

I avoided the chiropractor for the first few months as the device was fusing to bone. I worried that an adjustment might not be safe yet. But after that three months, when the surgeon and his nurse told me the fusing to bone looked good, I headed straight for the chiropractor.

I admit: I just assumed it was safe. Never crossed my mind that it could be dangerous. You say you felt good afterwards. Sounds like your chiropractor knows what they're doing.

@Going4fun Does your Chiropractor adjust you on your sides both your good and replacement side to adjust your hips and S.I. joints? I rode my bike 15 miles last night and feel good so I am pretty sure I am good.

My chiropractor adjusts me while lying on my stomach ... lying on each side ... and lying on my back (for my neck). Your hip is in there pretty good. It's not some weak glue. It's fused with bone.

@Going4fun Thank you. I am walking okay. Still sore from the fall. I have rode my bike 73 miles in the last week. Pain after but not during.

That's the way hips work in recovery: they hurt afterwards, not during.

Which causes all kinds of problems because it's hard to know where the limit is--since the hip doesn't necessarily hurt in real time (though I had real-time pain multiple times in addition to the delayed pain).

So easy to join what we call the Over Did It Club. You can ease up on the mileage for a while to let your hip recover ... and then ease back up ....

Exactly what I am going to do but rode 32 today. It was unseasonably warm for this time of year in Ohio so I went crazy. Lol. Thanks for the reply. Fill a lot better about my hip from the fall down the steps which will be 3 weeks Monday.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
MaxiHound
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom