Need advice for prep and recovery bilateral UKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard66

Country
United States United States
Hello fellow bonesmart members, I have decided to have bilateral partial knee replacements and and scheduled for surgery Feb 14 at Virginia Mason Hospital in Seattle.

My doctor says with only medial arthritis in both knees, the partial surgery will work.

He will not allow me to play tennis after the surgery or use a stair master.

I am doing the recommended exercises for strengthening the quads and arms.

I would appreciate any specfic recommendations on how to make the post surgery recovery easier and more effective. Any recommendations for icing or equipment used, pillows, sleeping etc. thanks very much Richard66

Hi Richard66,

Congratulations on making a decision to improve the quality of yoru life. Looks like Josephine has loaded you up with lots of good information about what to expect and how to prepare. You will find the support that you need on this web site. Take care!

Dori
aka GrandyGirl

Welcome to Bone Smart!
Recovery can be challenging at times but it sure helps to know ahead of time what to expect. One of the biggest things I learned was that recovery takes longer than expected. Patience is very important.

Be sure to take your pain meds by the clock not by the pain. I set a timer to remind me to take my pain pills. Don't ever let the pain get a head of you and if your pain medication doesn't do the trick talk to your doc about a different med. You don't have to be in terrible pain.

Use ice a lot. I kept ice on my knees around the clock for the first couple of months it helps so much with the pain and the swelling. Rest a lot with your legs elevated toes above the nose.

Don't over do it. Don't let your PT cause you pain that only makes the swelling worse and slows the recovery.

I was able to sleep good while I was on pain pills. I did have a lot of problem getting to sleep and sleeping all night once I started getting off of the strong meds. I napped a lot during the day. I slept in my recliner for several months because I could not get comfortable in bed. My recliner worked great to elevate my lets and let me lay flat. Just recently (4 months after my 2nd surgery) I have been able to sleep comfortable in bed. Just know that sleeping problems is normal.

Even tho I read all of these things a head of time I felt like my recovery was never going to end. I remember thinking will I ever be able to spend a whole day up and around out and about?...but guess what? it did come and now I can be very active during the day all day.

Keep reading on here you will learn lots.

Hi Richard not much to add to the above, just want to offer best wishes from one who's been there (albeit total rather than partial).

Just wanted to say hi from the PNW - that's where I'll be having my surgery. Looks like we have a nice new ortho wing to recover in.

Welcome to the forum! you have been given some outstanding advice---please keep coming back and telling us how you are doing, ask any questions that you may have, or express any concerns or anything that may be bothering you. We will be with you every step of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom