Lounge Doctor

THR Need a THR after a failed Labrum repair

roseynosey

Country
United States United States
Hi all...it’s been a little over a year since I had a Labrum repair surgery; I stepped off a train 7 years ago and tore a ligament, a tendon, my minimus glut muscle and of course the labrum. It took me 5 years for an OS to finally take me seriously and do a MRI, which showed all the tears.

It took another year for me to get a special OS that works with soft tissue repair to do my surgery. I had my surgery on 2/13/20...when Covid was really getting worse and right before the lockdowns.
I had a bad time after surgery and they decided to keep me a few days in the hospital for pain control..... I experience pain very differently, with my nerves sending crazy pain signals to my brain and my body struggles to calm after pain meds, which then leads to out of control pain.

So I had my surgery and was sent home after 3days ..... I was supposed to start PT 2-4 weeks after my surgery, but the Covid lockdowns prohibited me from getting into PT. The OS sent a physical therapist to my home twice, but both times they were scared of Covid and only stayed 10 minutes. So I did not get the right type of PT and my healing process was very long and I had much nerve pain in my hip muscles.

Fast forward a year, my labrum repair surgery was considered a “failed” surgery because of the continued muscle pain, and lack of recovery of ROM. My OS has told me I most likely need a THR, but my last MRI at the beginning of July showed moderate OA, which my OS said isn’t bad.

I have been in pain every day for the last 5 + years...my hip hurts in the groin, back middle buttock, I can no longer sit for any period longer than 10 minutes...walking is hard after 10 minutes, sleeping is horrific!!! Cant get comfortable.

My OS has referred me to get a 2nd opinion for a THR...I am seeing the new OS this Friday.....
I am at the point that if I could gnaw off my leg I would.
It hurts sooo much. I sleep with an ice pack every night, all night long and take pain meds...that are no longer working well.

My concerns, and questions:
I have bad osteoporosis, has anyone with bad osteoporosis had THR and what were outcomes?
Any advice on what I should ask the new OS about my bone strength?

I also have a history of a DVT and PE, so I know I’ll be put on blood thinners for a while after the surgery.
is there more chances of blood clotting after a THR?

I'm scared about my brittle bones, so if anyone with osteoporosis can provide feedback I would truly appreciate.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give background, and I’m really scared, tired of being in pain all the time and my quality of life really sucks right now.
Thank you for sharing and caring.

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@roseynosey Welcome to BoneSmart :welome: I am so sorry you are having such pain and troubles with your hip! The quick answer to your question about osteoporosis is YES! We have seen quite a few members with this issue. Put "osteoporosis" into the search box on the right on the blue tool bar and you'll get a list of all the mentions of this problem here at BoneSmart. Feel free to read any/all that is here.

When you see the new surgeon be sure to mention all of your concerns and give him a list of all your medications and diagnoses. We have seen lots of people with a range of multiple medical problems successfully have joint replacements.

OP
OP
R

roseynosey

Country
Thank you for your reply, I will definitely check out the links with “osteoporosis “

Puggles

Country
Hi,

I don't have knowledge about osteoporosis or any of your other questions, but
I just wanted to send you (( hugs )). I hate that you're in so. much. pain !
I'm NOT in as severe pain as you are, but I do know how tiring and awful
it is to be in pain 24/7. When you said you wanted to gnaw your leg off,
that made me giggle! I'm a very visual person, so when I read that, I could literally imagine
myself doing that when my hip is killing me !!!

I recently joined here, too, and the support and advice you'll get here is
wonderful! I hope you things improve for you soon !!!!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Boy grandma
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom