TKR Nearly 4 weeks post op TKR

It will slowly get better. I still tire out when doing chores and I'm almost 7 weeks post-op. Remember to ease your way into doing more, don't overdo it! Time and patience is what's needed (even though that is hard to do). I can feel myself getting a bit more stamina each day.

Hang in there, @Millie Llanelli! I suspect most of us have dealt with what’s being called “The Energy Drain”! I certainly did; I would get up and make myself a London Fog (tea latte) then feel like I’d done hard labor for 4 hours! But, this time with TKR #2, I knew to expect it, so I followed my new baby knee’s orders and sat in my recliner, knee up on pillows, cat on lap, tea on table and I rested…a LOT!

I am now 6 months out and am really pretending it’s been a year (haha!), because by dinner time, I’m still pooped even now. But, I’m acting during the day like nothing was done to my knee 6 months ago, too!

So, give yourself space and room to rest; it IS important for your healing, and it’s your body’s way to make sure it’s needs for rest to repair happen!

Thank you. I makes me feel better to know that this energy drain is to be expected. I feel guilty if I have to rest during the day but your comments have made me feel much better. Thank you ❤️❤️

I hear you! Lots of us are “DO”ers, going, going, going! So, rest is a foreign thing, and we feel guilty or non-productive when we just sit and relax! Guilty as charged! Hey, but this is at least one time when rest, relaxing in a comfy position and being “non-productive” IS productive!! Finally, this time, I was able to sit, relax, purring kitty to pet, etc. and I really did smile and enjoy it!

I'm so sorry you're down @Millie Llanelli. This is a long journey that will certainly "have you in your feelings" as the kids say.

Do you have a favorite non-physical activity that picks you up? My favorite sitting activities are knitting/crocheting and reading. Another pick me up may actually be reaching out to a trusted loved one who can share the burden. I say that knowing that I tend to isolate when I'm down in the dumps and friends do pick me up if I let them in. Let them know if you need to be heard or helped so they understand.

I'm sorry you are feeling down, @Millie Llanelli . Do you have a friend who's asking what they can do for you? Sometimes just visiting with someone, maybe they can bring you a meal you can share together, is just the ticket to feeling better.

Crying a lot after this suregery is very common, it’s a post major surgery thing. :console2:

Here‘s an article from our recovery guidelines about it:

Hi dogwalker2,
I had my op in Wales.
I am feeling brighter today probably because I actually had a full night of uninterrupted sleep - the first since my op. Also I think I stupidly reduced my pain medication on Tuesday so now back to regular pain relief.
I am going to try not to overdo things as well. Slow going but it will be worth it in the end .
Hope things are going well for you. Take care and thanks for replying to my post.

Millie, this is such a long recovery for most! You are actually ahead of many in this game. It took about 4-5 mon’t has before I could even sleep! The energy drain is SO natural after this massive surgery. Your body is sending all its energy to healing your knee with little left over for other things. Take lots of rest periods in between your activities. Energy will slowly return.

That full night sleep was such a game changer for me. I had my 1st full night sleep this past weekend. It was glorious! I'm glad you're feeling brighter because of your sleep. Hang in there!

Thank you sisterpat and hawk2go. I must admit I do feel better if I don't try to do too much. I was a little teary today but nothing like earlier in the week. I am worried about returning to work next month as I don't want to be a blubbering wreck falling asleep at the keyboard.

Hey, but this is at least one time when rest, relaxing in a comfy position and being “non-productive” IS productive!! Finally, this time, I was able to sit, relax, purring kitty to pet, etc. and I really did smile and enjoy it!
Yes, I had the thought "permission to nap!"

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom