THR Navigating Recovery...the sequel

ddj

Country
United States United States
Second THR ..... ✔️
60 minutes after end of surgery walked from the post op recovery stretcher to my post op recovery room. Did 3 more walks including stairs to help me get into my home. Home 4 hours later
Hip pain (for now) somewhere in a medical waste bag!!
Some muscle twinges but that intense chronic pain monster quiet right now.

Home 4 hours later

So amazing people can do this these days. There is no place like home for convalescing.
:welome: Welcome to recovery and best wishes as you begin healing. I look forward to following your journey.

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Here is a week-by-week guide

6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@ddj Welcome to the other side again - and to the double hippie club! Hope any pain is well managed. I look forward to following your recovery journey.

Congrats on getting that hip done, and getting home.:flwrysmile:
Hope today is not too rough...Day 2 was definitely my hard day. Thank goodness for pain meds.:yes:

Day 3 was a challenge. Still juggling the pain medication to figure out what to use. However, my new ice machine came and has now become my best friend.
Thank you again to all the people who offered positive pre-surgery comments. Definitely is a different experience pain wise, different focus of using more anti-inflammatory meds than opioids too. Most of the time, hanging onto positive recovery thoughts
I was so fearful and anxious regarding pain that I actually thought about cancelling! Although, the three reschedules did give me opportunity to work through those emotions.
Going to try to go to my granddaughter’s 12 th birthday party tonight as a first outing. 45 minute car ride will be the challenge.
Have decided to stick with the on-line PT program and my own body signals for recovery guidance...The area where I live is still at the high risk level for CoVid so my plan is to not add random people to my “bubble” of contacts.
Odd question:
Instead of spams of pain, lots of “stinging & burning sensations in the area of the incision, tolerable, not overly painful

@ddj It is very early to be trying to go out and be social. I really would not recommend it. The car ride alone will wipe you out.

Pain takes many forms and is different for everyone. Stinging and burning are all a part of this recovery. Ice will ease this.

Please take care of yourself!

Hello and Happy Thursday :wave:
I have to second, Jaycey’s, caution about socializing this soon. Car ride and all. I think you’ll find it to be too much and could pay for it afterward.

Some info I found awhile back on the odd sensations experienced in regard to our healing incision -

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process. This process is not to be confused with the initial post op numbness resulting from anesthesia or a regional block which can produce numbness lasting for up to 72 hrs post op.

Wishing you the all the best as you begin your healing journey. Keep us posted on your progress. We love updates. :)
@ddj

Took your advice and stayed home. I am sad to miss her party but rest a very large family will be there. Thought also about a very rambunctious lab “puppy”.
she is just under a year but big and is still working on the having good doggy manners thing.

Well done @ddj ! There will be plenty of chances to celebrate with your family. Right now you need to prioritise your recovery. And yes, young dogs can be a hazard for new hippies.

Sorry you had to miss the party...I had to miss my son's Jr college graduation...but it was best.
I am hoping to be a jump for joy mama this year when he gets his degree. All good now, hipwise.
Instead of spams of pain, lots of “stinging & burning sensations in the area of the incision, tolerable, not overly painful
I definitely had this type of pain...I was alot more anxious than you when I came to the forum in a panic about it.:sigh:
All normal and all temporary.
Keep the faith.

Day 6
Still less pain than with my first replacement...so thankful. Odd how the focus of time & life narrows to the challenges of walking to the bathroom and managing pain. However, feel like I am sleeping all the time! I feel so fatigued after even a small activity. I assume this is my body directing energy towards healing. Kind of funny looking at all my to do “projects” I set up before surgery.
Ice is still helping the discomfort and swelling.
I so appreciate that thought “All normal and all temporary”. Is a good mantra right now.

@ddj It's wonderful to see that your pain is less than previous experience! And 6 days out from hip replacement -- it's very normal to feel tired and want to sleep a lot! Your body is healing and much of the healing from major surgery is done during sleep. This too shall pass! Over all it appears you are doing quite well!

Day 11
Yesterday I got out of bed by myself! Feel kind of like the toddler that puts his own shoes on for the first time.... Walking with the crutches but it is crazy how quickly I get tired.
According to my post op instructions I use the two crutches for two weeks and then progress to a cane.
My question is, do I just make the change and see if it is doable pain wise? I do not see the MD for about 2 more weeks. Start of PT is not until 3 more weeks. I am thinking I may be back to work before then! (Just have to be able to drive and not on any Rx pain meds.)

So far Tylenol extra strength is enough, although I was out most of yesterday and needed the stronger Rx when I got home. ( My roommate had a massive stroke 3 weeks ago and I am still helping get her settled in the care facility.)

I want to make good progress but also not develop bad compensating habits.

According to my post op instructions I use the two crutches for two weeks and then progress to a cane.My question is, do I just make the change and see if it is doable pain wise?
I would suggest dropping to one crutch first and then if it feels right, transition to the cane. And yes, if this causes pain stay on a crutch. There really is no timeline for changing walking aids. You will know when you are weaning off them because you will start leaving them behind.
I am thinking I may be back to work before then! (Just have to be able to drive and not on any Rx pain meds.)
Easy does it! We recommend 10-12 weeks before a return to work and then a Phased return to work .

And I would not recommend driving until you are released to do so by your surgeon. Should you have an accident and not have a release from your OS, your insurance could refuse to payout.

That is a better thought about using one or two crutches or cane related to how I am comfortable, instead of a timeline.
Have had the experience of being asked “why are you still using that cane?” (Not from the MD). When you are healthy and mobile the tripping hazards do not make an impression.
I have fallen too many times (resulting in two concussion injuries) so do intend to be very cautious in that area.
I think I just woke up fairly restless...wanting to “do something, clean or organize something” Which is my response to stressful stuff. Although there is a benefit when all the labels on my canned foods face front and are separated by subject matter...
Going slower has never been a well developed skill for me. During the recovery of my left hip replacement, I think that is what precipitated a major depressive episode which I do not want to repeat.
Thanks for listening.

Day 14
I suppose that eventually I will go to marking weeks instead of days. But for right now there is a sense of accomplishment in making it through each day.
Pain is still manageable with the Tylenol mostly. I am assuming the deep muscle ache and random twinges are normal. My ice machine is still my best friend.
Per my pre-op instructions in the binder from the surgeon’s office, today is the day I can take the dressings off and try using just the cane instead of crutches. However if it doesn’t work, this time I am going to listen to my hip!
One thing that has changed is at night the muscles in my legs are crazy restless, difficult to relax. Isometric exercises help some and eventually I do sleep but wake several times needing to repeat the contract/release exercises.
Thinking is may be just all the nerves “waking up” or the relative inactivity of life right now. Small stuff compared to what other people are experiencing. Just looking for ideas.

Hi @ddj
I'm not sure if my post is going to be helpful, but I recall the restless legs and first month was definitely the worst.
Soft tissue is angry and healing and I would've tried the isometric exercises you describe as somewhat helpful if I would've known about them.:unsure:
I do think it is a time thing, and it is certainly a normal complaint post THR.
Hope it eases soon.

In wandering through the various reference information, just read the one about magnesium and it’s role in recovery. I am going to go shopping and pick up some different foods that are high in magnesium. Woke up with a tight burning incision and my right thigh feels muscle “bruised”.
I, by the way, am participating in the on-line OneStep PT. So far has been good. Plus if I cannot comfortably do a movement I just stop and mark it too painful. I do not feel like I have to participate in the “no pain/no gain” game this time.
Walking longer distances is a challenge...it is Oregon...it is spring...which means it is raining hard most days. Going to try a masked walk around the mall today. CoVid restrictions are relaxing but I have grandchildren to young for the vaccine and new cases/deaths are still occurring. (Crutches come in handy for keeping people out of my 6 ft bubble)

Good choice on diet adjustment, I found it played a big part in my recovery being sure to concentrate on nutrition that aided recovery. I was all pre-covid in recovery but keeping people away was a good thing even then. I used the shopping cart at the big super store for walking practice and it afforded the keep people away feature.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks
Back