TKR nausea won't go away

PoppyK

Country
United States United States
I am 9 weeks out from a TKR on my right knee and 4 weeks out from a TKR on my left knee. I have cut back on pain meds because of nausea. I might take tramadol once during the day and again before bed so I can get some sleep. I have had nausea since day 1 of recovery. I have lost 14 pounds and the doctor has no idea how to help me. I do have multiple GI problems including getting nausea for no reason at all. Food tastes OK, but I stand and stare at the pantry and frig and there is nothing I desire to eat. We moved a few months before these surgeries and I lost a get GI doc where we used to live. I don't have an appointment with my new GI until March. Has anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions? I do take Zofran and it helps some, but still have no appetite. I am worried that my poor nutrition will hinder my recovery.

Your poor tummy. My nausea was pretty bad, too. I existed on protein drinks for at least a month or more. Also, probiotics helped, too. Are you taking Percocet or something like that? That also helped me. If you can eat at all, try to make it protein. Your body needs that. I hope you can find a doctor before March.

Please tell us the dates of your surgeries and I'll add them to your signature for you. Knowing those dates help us to better advise you.

The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started. As you read more on other members recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect and what not to do, especially regarding PT.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@PoppyK It's not unusual to have appetite issues post op. At only 4 weeks out of your most recent surgery I can well understand not wanting to eat. Try the probiotic drinks and anything protein. Very small snacks like crackers or nuts. Yogurts are very soothing for a troubled tummy.

I hope this eases for you soon!

thanks, My right knee was November 15, left knee was December 20. The main food group I can eat it fruit. Lots of vitamins, not much protein. The nausea gets worst when I stand up. I may call my previous GI and ask for advice. He was a great doc.

Have you tried motion-sickness pills? They help me when I am sick in my tummy.

Thank you for your dates. I'll add them to your signature for you.

do you have anti nausea meds? If not, call your surgeons office tomorrow.

I take Zofran daily and was wearing the scopolamine patch for weeks. I had to take it off cause the doc thought it was interacting with tramadol. I was having some weird nerve problems. Going to see my primary care doc tomorrow.

So, I think that I, along with a substitute doctor at my primary care office have figured out what was wrong with me. I won't go into all the symptoms I was experiencing, but it was bad. Not just nausea! I have Serotonin Syndrome. So, no more meds for me, only tylenol. Unfortunately, the ortho had prescribed 4 meds, simutaneously, that caused this to happen to me. I had mentioned numerous times to them that I am very sensitive to any medication. I had been miserable since January 3rd. I know I have some educating to do when I return for my next office visit. I am still having bad times throughout each day. On the bright side, I was actually hungry, last night, for the first time since November 14th. I still can only eat small meals, but am improving. I actually got 5 hours of sleep last night. Oh, what joy. Hope my posts helps someone.

On the bright side, I was actually hungry, last night, for the first time since November 14th. I still can only eat small meals, but am improving. I actually got 5 hours of sleep last night. Oh, what joy. Hope my posts helps someone.
This is great news!

I’m sorry you had such a bad reaction to your medications.

I'm no good with high strength painkillers either. Tramadol, Oramorph give me terrible nausea. This time they tried Oxycodone and that was the worst of the lot, couldn't face eating or drinking anything, ended up passing out, heart rate kept falling, low sodium and stats. Ended up on IV fluids, anti sickness and oxygen for 24 hours.

Luckily pain isn't bad at all this time round and paracetemol/Tylenol s just fine. In fact I've forgotten to take it more than once, very different to first time round.

I'm glad you've sorted your nausea out. It's miserable when you feel like that all the time.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562