Naturaal64 is having a new hip

Natural64

Country
United States United States
Total left hip replacement scheduled September 18th, NERVOUS

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I think you'll be happy you found us.
We were all nervous as surgery approached, we understand. You'll find lots of comfort and support here as well as good information so please stop by often.

We'll try to help you work through your anxiety with what we've learned through personal experience. You will get through this, we all do, and you're going to love the result!

Following you'll find some reading material that may be of interest to you while you wait.
Wishing you comfort and a great rest of the week!

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

We all were/are nervous. In my case, the reality was not nearly as bad as my expectation. Look around, read the stories. There is so much to learn here and everyone is helpful and supportive. You've come to the right place.
Welcome.

It is totally understandable that you are freaked out and scared, @Natural64. But, you are absolutely in the right place to get unwavering support and information from real people who are also facing this surgery or in recovery. It is major surgery but a highly successful surgery. I’d like to say it was so much fun the first time (September 2018) that I couldn’t wait to go through it again, but that would be a lie. However, having gone through it once, I know it is a game changer if you are dealing with miserable hip pain. You can do this, you know, you really can! And when it’s all over and recovery is complete, you will be one happy camper. Hang in there, make some cyber friends here on this forum, and put your chin up. You’re gonna do great!

Hi @Natural64 ! Welcome and read the articles Layla sent you.
We are all anxious for any surgery . Less so the second time around ( but hope you don't need that!)
If there are any particular things that are causing us worry let us know. I bet someone else has had the same concerns..

You are not alone.. Lots of help to keep holding you up here!

@Natural64 Welcome to BoneSmart! Perhaps you could share what you are most concerned about. Those of us who have been there can help you find a more comfortable place. And I am sure there are many new members out there who have the same concerns.

Bravo for writing that first word and breaking the ice! We’re so glad you did. Nervous sounds about right to me. There are lots of ways to help with nerves. Some find information reassuring (me, me, me!), some rely on peace found in the great outdoors or the distraction of a busy schedule, and many find relief from reading the first-hand experiences of others. What helps you? We’re in the helping business around here :)

Hi there
Now you have scheduled your op it all becomes a reality...! That’s when the nerves kick in for sure.
I’ve had two THR’s & they are both great (one 4 months ago).
I’ve no pain now... and you won’t either!

Stay with us BoneSmarties... we will help to stop those nerves if you let us! Of course, we were all the same... it’s only natural to fear the unknown... but there’s a mine if info on here from everyone who has already been down the road.. pre & post op!
Looking forward to hearing more from you! xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Natural64! I totally understand being nervous and overwhelmed; after all, hip replacement is considered a "major surgery". I just had my right hip replaced on 7/15 and am facing a left hip replacement, if all goes well with the right one, on 9/9.

Regarding my 7/15 surgery, I was a nervous wreck beforehand and would burst into tears at any given moment. What I did to combat my emotional state and make me feel productive was go into high preparation mode. You will need to get some durable medical equipment; check out Amazon for that. Believe it or not, there is some fun to be had with the equipment. The walkers are pretty standard and boring so you can always get some glitter tape to decorate yours. You can also find some pretty snazzy canes, such as leopard print and Hawaiian flowers. Finally, order yourself a super extra-large T-shirt for hip replacement patients that can double as a night shirt because you will want comfy clothes in the hospital. Yes, they exist. My avatar is actually one of the hip replacement patient designs Amazon offers. I also suggest ordering a "hip kit" that comes with grabbers, sock donner, long handled sponge and long shoehorn. Trust me, grabbers will be your best friend, especially if bending over is one of your precautions.

Keep in mind that this is a very supportive forum. Folks have been/are in your shoes, and have a wealth of knowledge and tips to share. As enoughpain stated above, you have come to the right place.

Good luck and continue to keep us posted! Look forward to reading your recovery posts!

Last edited:
Hi @Natural64 and welcome! So many of us are so very nervous. I'm unnatural, I wasn't, but that was only because I'd had major surgery twice before with great results, and had gotten the nerves well out of my system decades ago. I think if you do a search of the forums for "nervous", you'll get too many hits to bother with. Are you nervous about the surgery, or about how it will tirn out?

It's less than two months away now; you've got plenty of preparing to do, which can help take your mind off the worries.

The actual day of is a breeze. You may get up at a miserable early hour, in hideous pain from your hip, and once you arrive at the hospital it's a non-stop flurry of prep. And then you wake up, done! And when you take that first step after surgery, you will have the "no OA pain ever again!!" revelation that goes with the territory.

All the best!

Welcome to the best site for support and information. Ask any question that crosses your mind and someone will have an answer or a suggestion.

Hello, it's been awhile since my first post. I was scheduled for ambulatory THR day surgery. I sought this out extensively because my past experience in the hospital for surgery was difficult with nursing staff over medicating me. Well.... from that surgery I learned that I nearly overdosed from fentanyl. Was narcaned multiple times. So... the new hosp and surgeon have taken me off of day surgery and want me admitted. I guess so they can medicate me under supervision? I am allergic to opiods and need to keep off of them. So I am more anxious as I am at the 2 week point. Any info on the post pain killers? I can't take them. Period.

@Natural64 plenty of people on this forum (me included) can not tolerate opioids. I never took them post either THR. There are alternatives and staff will work with you to find what works best. I only took Diclofenac post LTHR and Naproxen (Aleve) post RTHR. Icing works wonders and adding in a bit of Tylenol if things got bad also worked for me.

I don't understand why they are taking me off of day surgery then. They said if a pain plan is difficult I have to be admitted. So they can give me tylenol? I am upset.

They said if a pain plan is difficult I have to be admitted.
The criteria for day case surgery is very strict. You have to "fit" their plan to a T. They obviously have set pain management for day case and it probably includes medication that you can't use. All this is for your own protection - to insure you get the right medication.

I know. I have to comply. I suck at compliance. LOL I am always on my way out the door. I feel bad for them.
Clothes on, shoes on, where do I sign. They have me on Fast Track now. LOL 11am discharge following day.

I suck at compliance.
It's really tough when you finally get your head around proceed with this and then things change. I was told by a junior doctor that I couldn't have a spinal. Turns out it wasn't true but it sure threw me for a few days.

11AM the following day isn't bad at all. Just time to get your pain managed and make sure you can move around well. You'll be fine!

Yes, and the hospital I chose is 50 minutes from our home. So if I leave and there is an issue, returning would be a disaster. I would never want to show up at our local ER post THR. So I will comply.

I have read time and time again that people wake up from the surgery and realize their pain is gone. The thing is, while I do get pain (when I walk too long or work long hours) I believe I have decided to do this ahead of most people. I seldom take any medication and if I do, one Advil is a treat to get work done. So my fear is I'll wake up and find out what real pain is. My xray still describes my left hip as moderate. I have seen 3 surgeons. The 1st alarmed me by saying it was the worst hip he had ever seen. Imagine. The 2nd Dr in Florida revealed I was about half way gone and at 53 years old he voted to hold off. I am now 55 and faced with potentially losing my health insurance so I have made this choice to move forward. I am always questioning myself. This date was set last May with a new CT surgeon. This has been out in front of me for too long. I just want it over for my mental well being more than the physical issues. I do get bad days don't get me wrong but I still have good mobility. I do trust my choice of surgeons. I am having an anterior hip replacement at a major hospital. Initially I was chosen for same day at their bone and joint ambulatory center but I will now be admitted to the large and scary hospital overnight. I don't like that. As of today I am still having the surgery at the ambulatory operating room but will be moved to hospital for an overnight stay. Waiting to hear if that will change? I still want day surgery. I have one more meeting with pre-admissions on 9/11 which will determine their decisions regarding my surgery and stay. They are going to review with me an adverse reaction to general anesthesia 7 years ago. This after uncovering I could not accept fentanyl in my system and was revived. Very scary. My surgery will be on a spinal but that drug is used in the spinal.

@Natural64 I experienced a lot of fear heading into surgery - I think I must be allergic to giving up control and trusting others with such vitally important things. I am currently enjoying an immediate post-op wave of relief, and I am here to tell you, it’s something to look forward to.

In my case, I think the indications were in place to make me a candidate for same-day release, but I couldn’t predict in advance what my preference would be. I kept telling everyone that I was open to both possibilities, depending on how the day went. A lot of things have to go right for someone to be cleared to go home the same day, and anesthesia and pain management have a huge role in deciding this. Because you are not a “typical” patient in these two areas, it seems logical the hospital would allow extra time to work this out. It will most certainly be to your benefit to go home with the anesthesia drugs well clear of your system and proven pain control in place.

Wishing you all the best in your countdown weeks!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts