THR Nanny’s recovery

I live in a biggish city which has a large number of dentist , after covid a lot of them would only take private patients .I have a friend who has waited nearl 8 months to see a nhs dentist

There are no more NHS dentists in my area - none! Please call 111 again and stress you need this sorted ASAP.

Hi all well what a weekend that was couldnt get to see a dentist was in a lot of pain and really worried about infection spreading to my new hip . I finally saw my dentist this morning and have antibiotics and an appointment for next week. Still have pain but it’s a relief to have antibiotics.thanks to all who gave advice

What a relief!!!!

@Nannyh70 Glad to hear that your in the process of getting sorted. I am in exactly the same position. Had a TKR 14 weeks ago, terrible toothache since Thursday. Was hoping it would go away but didn’t so by Friday I was panicking about the weekend coming up and the obvious worry of an infection spreading to my knee. I called my gp, 111 and my dentist and no one could prescribe me antibiotics despite me explaining my predicament. It’s been a very long weekend waiting for tomorrow morning when I can call my dentist and hopefully get an emergency appointment and some antibiotics.

So many of us are programmed to be “goal achievers.” It feels like failure when our body insists on a slow pace for recovery. I have had surgery before and remember the toll that just the anxiety, anesthesia, and tissue trauma takes on my body. I have been trying to set tiny goals for myself- put earrings on today, call my cousin, clean out my email inbox. It’s not much but it usually helps me feel like I’m making progress. I hope today goes well for you.

@Nannyh70 Glad to hear that your in the process of getting sorted. I am in exactly the same position. Had a TKR 14 weeks ago, terrible toothache since Thursday. Was hoping it would go away but didn’t so by Friday I was panicking about the weekend coming up and the obvious worry of an infection spreading to my knee. I called my gp, 111 and my dentist and no one could prescribe me antibiotics despite me explaining my predicament. It’s been a very long weekend waiting for tomorrow morning when I can call my dentist and hopefully get an emergency appointment and some antibiotics.
Hope you have been able to see your dentist today. I know how your weekend has been I spent so much time on the phone to no avail. I was in agony but was more worried about infection spreading to my hip. I’ve finished my antibiotics and have an appointment with my dentist tomorrow to treat the tooth. Really hope you get this sorted out today

Hi all just a quick update I’ve been to see my surgeon today and my right hip is doing great which im so grateful for . It feels so smooth no more clicking and grating or pain. The surgeon looked at my left hip today as it has been causing lots of pain and clicking all very different from the right hip. I have signed the consent forms and will get another new hip sometime late summer . The strange thing is I feel more nervous this time round , has anyone else felt like this ?

Wonderful to read that your right hip is doing so well at five months out, @Nannyh70! It makes sense that you've decided to get the left taken care of as well.

I totally relate to your anxiety -- I was very anxious about getting my second knee replacement -- even though the first one was successful. It made me delay much longer than I should have! But #2 has turned out just as good as as the first.

Anxiety before any major surgery is absolutely normal! Thankfully, you have the success of the first hip replacement to encourage you. Will the same surgeon be doing the replacement?

Wonderful to read that your right hip is doing so well at five months out, @Nannyh70! It makes sense that you've decided to get the left taken care of as well.

I totally relate to your anxiety -- I was very anxious about getting my second knee replacement -- even though the first one was successful. It made me delay much longer than I should have! But #2 has turned out just as good as as the first.

Anxiety before any major surgery is absolutely normal! Thankfully, you have the success of the first hip replacement to encourage you. Will the same surgeon be doing the replacement?
Hi @benne68 yes the same surgeon mr Massa who is wonderful, he manages to put me at ease every time I see him. Like you I did think about delaying a second surgery but the pain in the left is worse than the right ever was and a very different kind of pain .i know what to expect this time round maybe that’s what’s making me anxious but my outlook is that by Christmas I will be bionic and maybe running marathons ‍

I'd say totally normal to feel anxious about 2nd hip. You already know what the aftermath entails.
All my best with next surgery.

my outlook is that by Christmas I will be bionic and maybe running marathons
Great attitude! I think you will find that knowing what to expect makes the recovery a little easier. That's what I'm finding now with my second knee recovery. This time around, I knew that the pain and swelling and bruising were all normal and I was able to relax.

In the meantime, we are here for you. Feel free to share your anxiety. We get it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Raithtaxi
Recent bookmarks