Standard Shoulder Replacement NamVet's Update

@NamVet - I'm just catching up on your thread. It sounds like you had a very successful surgery and recovery! I'm also a lifter (violated the cardinal rule of not lifting without a spotter and tore the rotator cuff). Repair surgery was in March 2020. Between only lifting once a week (I just got my power rack at home so can lift more often now) and trying to take it slow and steady, it's taking a while to build back up to where I was (and even that wasn't that heavy since I'd been lifting less than a year before injury). The bench is the one I'm having the hardest time building back up.

It sounds like you're doing it right. My surgeon said to start with lower weight, increase the reps and then move up to the next weight - rinse and repeat.

Hi Sarah-
Thank you for the kind post. I have been lifting for years...too long to remember. Never competitively, just enjoyed its benefits. After reading your post, may I suggest that you do your benches with light dumbbells? The reason I suggest this is:
1. Grabbing a long bar in a rack is a difficult position for a person with a recovering shoulder.
2. Using a pair of light dumbbells allows the hands to assume a natural 45 degree grip above your chest vs a twisting 90 degree grip forced by the bar.
3. Also, I think using dumbbells allows the shoulders to develop more stabilizing muscles.

Just suggestions-I am not a PT or a MD...just did a little strength coaching years ago. Sounds like you have a great MD. Perhaps you run this by him if you are hesitant. I am doing light dumbbells/pulley exercises now and gradually getting into a little heavier and heavier each week (about 5 months post surgery for me). Of course I'll never lift what I used to, and I know that to do so can be hard on the replacement shoulder parts. A new shoulder is a new beginning for me!

Blessings on you and this wonderful site!

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the suggestions. At this point, I'm close to fully recovered but just taking things slowly. I did start with dumb bells and still use them some. When I work with my trainer, they have a light training bar I can use to warm up and ramp up the weight. The max I benched pre-surgery was 92 lb. So far, my max post-surgery is 55 but some days 45 seems heavy. What I've done working from home now is to use the bar (with safety bars firmly in place) and warm up with only lowering the bar about 6 inches. I increase the distance on each set of 5 until I'm doing the full range of motion. After I worked up to full motion last night, I did 5 x 5 at 45, resting 3 minutes in between sets. No issues and didn't get to fatigue - probably about 75 RPE. For squats, I started with a safety bar until about 6 months post op when I could comfortably use a straight bar. On the deadlift, I started with a hex bar because it allowed the hands to be in a neutral position.

I'm glad your recovery is going well! You also have the right attitude - while you may have some limitations going forward, you have so many other advantages from having the replacement done! Please keep in touch - the information you provide can help others considering replacement or on their recovery journey.

Sara

Hi, Bill....what a wonderful sense of humor you have! I'm sure it helped get you through any challenges with your shoulder. Thank you for the kind comments about BoneSmart. We love being here for people like you who need to talk with people who have "been there and done that and have the t-shirt to prove it." I hope you have told your surgeon about BoneSmart and how much it helped you. Many doctors "think" they do a good job of preparing patients for recovery, but we here at BoneSmart know differently. We'd love to get more surgeons to realize what a help we are to their patients!

Anyway...I had my left shoulder done just about 2 years ago. I also have some injury to my biceps muscle that I had to deal with starting about a year out from surgery. But I'm happy to say my shoulder is doing very well now and I marvel at the range of motion I have. I hope you experience the same. Like you, I worked very hard at gradual strengthening and I believe that helped me get to this point. My big deal was being able to lift things as I do a lot of work around the house. That function is just fine and I'm very thankful.

Keep us up to date on your progress. We're still building our community of shoulder replacement warriors, but you're definitely one of the family.

Update: 6 month anniversary today. I am doing really well with my daily activities and I see constant improved mobility (I celebrated my six months post surgery by doing a shoulder/back workout this evening with weights). Still working on overhead flexibility (arm straight up) with slow and gradual success which seems the last thing to get better for me. The surgical scar is slowly fading away and now I am seldom aware that I had surgery-however, occasionally there is a gentle reminder if I suddenly turn my arm quickly when reaching for something at an odd angle. Would I have it done again? Yes...especially as I remind myself that at 74 it really did improve my quality of life. Anyhow...hope this encourages those of you who have recently had it done and feel like you are at the bottom of a mountain, or those who are considering having this surgery. Cheers to all.

@NamVet Thank you for letting us know of your wonderful success with shoulder replacement! I have found that even years after having my shoulders replaced I still can again more ROM and strength.

@NamVet, wonderful news, it sounds like you are on the right path, continued success and ROM Well done.

Yay! Getting back to life and doing what you love to do is the name of the game! After my rotator cuff repair, I was advised by PT not to do overhead presses or similar activities. I don't know it my non-weightlifting PT was being overly cautious but he only told me to build back slowly on other lifts. I do powerlifting instead of Olympic, though, so it didn't bother me to not do overhead any more.

Another month of healing and progress (7th month)! Today I dropped (cut down) several trees on the property and hauled brush into a pile and stacked the wood. Tomorrow I plan on loading my truck with firewood and delivering it to a relative. These are old tall cherry trees which are fairly heavy until cured. So...I am just trying to show you fellow 'faux' shoulder folks that I am feeling more and more confident as I carefully load the cut wood into the truck. In other words, I am getting back to normal. My doctor said it takes 6 months to 1 year to fully heal and will happen with caution and determination. I hope this is good news for those in today's seemingly upside world. Blessings on all who read this! Bill

@NamVet Thanks for posting a great update! It's truly wonderful to hear that you and your new shoulder are doing so well. And yes this is very good news and encouragement for any and all who are looking for shoulder replacements!!

@NamVet - I'm glad to hear you're doing so well - that's why we do this, after all! Show that "faux" shoulder who's the boss!

Greetings to all those with a new shoulder (and those contemplating one)! Just thought I'd post a 10 month+ update. No complications at all from my surgery. I'm back to light construction work, cutting down a few trees, mowing and trimming the lawn, extensive landscaping endeavors (shoveled several tons of river-rock into edging areas last week), lifting weights, training in martial arts, and other activities. At 74 years old, I cannot do what I did when younger, and I am constantly aware of my new mechanical parts- nevertheless, I won't let a shoulder replacement tell me that I have to act old. Hardest thing for me to remember is to tell my dentist to be sure to provide me with antibiotics when they do a teeth cleaning/check procedure (something to do with ensuring I don't get an infection in my new joint. Hope this rambling helps and encourages those of you who are recent members of us on 'the other side'.

@NamVet Thank you for the wonderful update! I am very delighted to hear that you are doing well with this new joint.

Yes it will encourage others who are looking into having shoulder joint repalcement.

Hi @NamVet - Thank you for such a great update. I'm glad your shoulder is doing so well.

I've merged your update with your original thread, as it is part of the whole recovery story and we prefer everything to be in the one thread.

Greetings fellow Bonesmart folks! After 15 plus months post surgery a quick update. Aside from overeating on Thanksgiving, I am doing well. Shoulder seems stable, and works well. Doing many remodeling projects, blowing leaves, lifting weights (within reason-especially at 75+ years of age), and still doing martial arts. Sleep...occasionally i get a little uncomfortableness in my operated shoulder if I lay on that side. I have also noticed that when comparing my shoulders w/o a shirt on, there is a small recess/indent on my TSO side vs the unoperated side. But...who cares...it works! Merry Christmas to you all!

Great update @NamVet ! Glad you can get back to living again!

Thanks for all your updates @NamVet ....Your thread is one of the most inspiring I have read, and makes me think I might be able to pull this off...Maybe.

Sounds like you had a great doctor!! Best regards!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom