THR Nadnavonod's Opposite Hip Recovery

Nadnavonod

Country
United States United States
I'm new to BoneSmart. I'm experiencing pain in my opposite hip.

I had a posterior total right hip replacement June 23, 2020 due to osteoarthritis (bone on bone). Surgery and recovery have been going well with the exception of left hip is hurting (gluteus minimus and medius area and down outside of my leg). I do have osteoarthritis in this hip but not as bad and not bone on bone.

I suspect that part of my left hip problem is do to over compensating to my left hip when struggling with bone on bone in my right hip for 7 months. I was hoping that the right hip replacement would clear up my left hip problem. And maybe it will. I had visiting PT and I'm currently into my 6th week of outpatient PT. I initially, thought my left hip problem was a gluteus minimus/medius problem with pain radiating down the side of my leg into the outside of my calf, which I struggled with in the past and PT helped. Now I'm not so sure that's my problem now, it might be the osteoarthritis. I see my surgeon August 26th for my 6 week post op.

My new hip is great! I suspect I'm also pushing too hard. I can walk for 12-15 minutes and the pain slowly worsens in my opposite (left) hip with no pain in my new (right) hip. I have to rest for a few minutes, then I can walk again for 12-15 minutes and the pain slowly starts again in my. That's my limit thus far.

I'm also struggling with walking technique. I'm trying to push off my toes equally in my stride. I've been so out of wack for 9 months, I'm not sure if I'm walking correctly. Are there any articles on how to walk properly after hip replacement surgery.

Suggestions welcome...Thx in advance....Dan

Last edited:
@Nadnavonod, welcome to Bonesmart. I have started a new recovery thread for you. If you'd like a different title, just let us know.

I've not had a hip replacement but have had a knee replacement. My old knee acted up while my new knee was recovering, so I bet that's what wrong with your old hip.

Here is some reading to help you manage your recovery:
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:

rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)

3. Do what you want to do BUT

a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Activity progression for THRs

6. Access these pages on the website

Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

@Nadnavonod I had muscular issues with my good hip after surgery as well. I still occasionally have piriformis pain in the good hip, after years of compensating for a bad knee and hip it takes a while for muscles to return to their normal routine. I don't think we notice the change to our good side because it happens so slowly over years as the joint deteriorates. But suddenly the bad hip works the way it's supposed to and the good hip has to suddenly adjust.

Thanks sistersinhim and FCBayern for the guidelines and sharing your situations. It's encouraging. I think I will take it a bit easy for next few days. I have a tendency to overdo things. Thanks for creating my thread for me. I appreciate it.

@Nadnavonod Welcome to BoneSmart! By any chance are you doing clamshell and bridging in your PT exercises? Hips don't really need all that PT and if you are doing these 2 exercises the result is nearly always the pain you are describing.

If you stop all that PT and ice and rest does this pain ease?

Hi Jaycey. Yes, I have been doing clam shells and bridging, squats with bands, side steps with bands and other strengthening exercises. I'm on vacation this week, so I'm going to rest up and ice for a few days and see what happens. Thx for the support! And Layla too!

Hi @Nadnavonod I have a pain down the outside of my left leg that exists simultaneously in two places-- many locations around the groin, and the outside of my left knee. I am pretty sure, from my reading on here, that it's my I-T band. It started when the left hip started heading seriously downhill, and didn't go away post op, more's the pity. I really owe myself some attention to the poor thing!

Yes, I have been doing clam shells and bridging, squats with bands, side steps with bands and other strengthening exercises.
This is what is causing your pain. Please do not do these exercises again. You are not in training - you are recovering from a major injury. You do not need strengthening exercises - just activities of daily living (ADLs).

I have a pain down the outside of my left leg that exists simultaneously in two places-- many locations around the groin, and the outside of my left knee. I am pretty sure, from my reading on here, that it's my I-T band. It started when the left hip started heading seriously downhill, and didn't go away post op, more's the pity

Hi Zauberfloate, I’m sorry you’re dealing with ongoing discomfort, I hope you’re able to address it and obtain relief soon. In an effort to have a better understanding, I’m wondering if you’re suggesting that, Nadnavonod’s pain is similar to what you believe is an IT Band issue you’re dealing with?

I'm on vacation this week, so I'm going to rest up and ice for a few days and see what happens.
Consider abstaining from exercises and PT until after your appointment with the surgeon and see if it eases. My guess also is that it’s PT, but your hunch of overcompensating is also a possibility. Maybe a little of each. At any rate, rest and ice should help. Please stay in touch and if we don’t hear from you before your appt on the 26th, let is know how it goes, we’d love to hear.

I hope you both have a peaceful evening and relaxing Sunday!

Thanks Jaycey, zauberflöte, and Layla for your encouraging input. I will take it easy for a few days to see how I feel. As I mentioned, I have a tendency to do too much PT.

zauberflöte I hope you find a solution and some relief!

Thx...Dan

Yes, the outside of the leg is your IT band, and it's easily aggravated. I learned that it responds well to a little massage. I started at my knee and applied gentle pressure while sliding my hand up my leg. My PT advised me to work from knee to hip (up) so that you help the blood flow going up and not down, or to knead it gently, depending on how tender it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Schaargi....I am doing some light massage on my QL, glutes and IT band to keep the blood flowing as I rest and not do any PT.

Thx again...Dan

I'm also struggling with walking technique. I'm trying to push off my toes equally in my stride. I've been so out of wack for 9 months, I'm not sure if I'm walking correctly. Are there any articles on how to walk properly after hip replacement surgery.

Hello and congratulations on your new hip! As for walking correctly, two things came to mind when I read your question, are you wearing shoes that you wore prior to your surgery?
Our shoes break in and break down according to how we walk or rather limp and I was shocked at how my worn shoes affected my gait. Maybe it's time for a new pair of walking shoes?

Then secondly, has anyone discussed with you to focus on a strong heel toe gait? It's very helpful to slow down and focus on this- as in walking forward and as you come down on your heel, continue to roll up through your foot and in through the toes of that foot.
It is amazing how effective this can be.

I hope this helps.. you sound like you are doing well, overall.

Last edited:
@Nadnavonod Dan, thank you! This started up, the "must be IT band, right?", sometime early in the 4 years between hips. There were alot of people on here at that time who were using rolling pins to massage the area, or lying on foam rollers and rolling themselves "up" (towards head) and "down" to roll the thigh along the foam. Neither of those appealed to me for reasons that still make sense. I had hoped that having the second hip done would fix it, but nope. It is mostly just an irritation, but I know that if I invested some time with a PT whose hands aren't as arthritic as mine I could easily learn to live without the irritation! One is blessed with such a bounty of health issues to make choices about as one sneaks up on the big 7-0! :snork:

Keep up the good work, slow and steady wins this particular race !

Thank you CricketHip for the tips about walking! Yes, I am using the same walking shoes prior to surgery. Good point about getting some new ones. I will focus on the heel - toe walking pattern. I have been only focusing on the toe-off portion. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the walking tips!

Dan

Here's an illustration of the heel-toe walking technique:

heel-toe-gait.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Celle for the illustration of the heel-toe walking technique. This is very helpful!

Dan

Happy Two Month Anniversary, Dan!
I hope you had a good week, you’re enjoying the weekend and slowly making progress.
Have a wonderful day! :)
@Nadnavonod

Thx Layla for the two month anniversary acknowledgement!

I did take 5 days off from PT. Unfortunately, it didn't help reduce the pain in my opposite (left) hip when walking. I do have osteoarthritis in that hip, and I suspect my glutes are weak. So I started PT again which is supposed to help both. It seems like my glutes are getting stronger when doing PT.

I'm a golfer and asked my PT when I will start doing rotational exercises. She said I have to get approval from my surgeon who I see Wednesday. New hip is doing great! Focusing on proper heel-toe walking.

I will update after surgeon appointment Wednesday. Thanks again for all the support!

Dan

Hi Team BoneSmart,

Met with my surgeon today. He has cleared me to start gentle rotational exercises and I can start gently swinging a golf club. This is great news for me. I will be working with my Physical Therapist through this next step of recovery. I'm hoping that the rotational work will loosen up my opposite (left) sore hip. We'll see. New hip (right) is doing great! I will keep you posted on my progress. Again, thanks for the support!

Dan

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mexicaliaguilas