THR Mythmom's recovery

Mythmomma

Country
Canada Canada
Feeling pretty good. There is still some residual numbness from the spinal. The surgeon was impressed I was still walking around. There were so many osteophytes they had to remove them first so they could access the joint properly.

@Mythmomma,
:welome:
Glad you have the surgery behind you, and all those osteophytes are gone.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Last edited:
Sending best wishes to you on your recovery.

Good luck from me too. It's the start of a journey to better mobility and enjoyment of life.

Congrats on your new hip and all the best as you begin healing. Stay in touch, we’d love to follow your recovery journey.
Happy Tuesday!
@Mythmomma

Just completed my first physio appointment. It went well. Quite sore and definitely have log leg. Set to do physio this afternoon to plan for going home. We also had an unexpected complication. Our elderly boxer got sick this morning and my husband is taking him to the emergency vet.

Safe travels home, if you haven’t been discharged yet. I hope your dog is okay.

Following is a little info on Log Leg which helps explain why it occurs -
The first stage of healing is the inflammatory phase. During this time it is very common to notice swelling. After lower extremity surgery, or trauma involving bleeding and inflammation, there will be fluid in the leg causing the sensation of heaviness. Gravity pulls the fluid downward and since the patient is less mobile the fluid is not pumping back through the heart as quickly. The swelling gradually eases, but can persist for up to 3-6 months in some cases. Regular movement will assist in the reduction of swelling, as will elevation and ice. Your surgeon may prescribe compression stockings for a short period of time.

Wishing you a peaceful week of recovery. :)
@Mythmomma

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately our Milo couldn't be saved. I am going home today. Very nervy. We have a lot of stairs. I'm still in quite a bit of pain but looking forward to getting home to my bed and ice machine.

Very sorry to hear about Milo. You're bound to be upset and all on top of trying to recover from major surgery and deal with pain.
I hope your family is supporting you kindly.

Second day home. Moving slightly better. Pain seems pretty well controlled. It feels like such a long recovery ahead. I have been reminding myself not to push but it is hard for me.

Hi @Mythmomma
So sorry to hear about your boxer...I just lost my 18 year old Shihtsu (the original Mojo) and it is very odd not having him. I still hear him bark at the door:unsure:

Slow and steady is all you need right now...lots of Ice, lots of Rest, your meds...hydration will initiate your short walks... usually I had to go to the bathroom as soon as I got comfortable.:sigh:

All Temporary....and well worth the patience.
Hope your weekend is restful.

Glad to hear you're moving better. I seem to have had quite a sudden improvement but can't quite trust it. Will continue to be ultra careful.

Aww, I’m so sorry to hear about your Milo. :console2:It’s so hard to lose our furry friends.

Thankfully your physical pain is well controlled and you’re mobility has improved. Recovery does feel like it will be a long slog in the early days, but you’ll be surprised at how the weeks start clicking on by. Something I found helpful was to allow myself to reflect back each weekend on any improvements I had made since the previous week and there was always something I was doing with greater ease. Try not to focus on daily progress, you’ll notice a bigger difference looking back on a weekly basis only.
I hope your weekend is a good one. :)

Thank you. Getting in and out of bed is still frustrating. My leg is still heavy. I had a shower today and made it downstairs. My hubby set up a nice corner for me, my recliner and ice machine. My 1 year old rescue is a little lost but a good companion.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_105839584.jpg
    IMG_20210813_105839584.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 184
How are you doing now @Mythmomma? Looks like you have a cheerful little companion.
Hubbies are great aren't they. Mine has been really kind and thoughtful. I've got a little 'nook' too with all my paraphernalia in easy reach.

I have a comfort kitty we got two years ago. My leg is still heavy. I have been making two trips up and down the stairs for the last two days. Still sore and swollen. I think I'm getting around better but progress feels slow. Hubby say's I'm doing great. It helps to have a cheerleader. Some of the exercises are still hard to do. My physio suggested having help during to make sure my leg moves in a straight line. I'm not used to being on the receiving end of care so am finding it difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_20210813_091056186.jpg
    IMG_20210813_091056186.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 157
Well it’s my one week anniversary. Slow progress is still progress. I can now get in and out of bed independently. I definitely need help on our stairs. They are very steep. Still feeling stiff and swollen. Icing 4-5 times daily. A little worried about next week when my husband goes back to work. Wondering if it is because it took longer than anticipated. They had to spend time removing osteophytes in order to properly access the joint.

Hey there,
It’s difficult to notice a lot of progress after only one week. Try to look back each weekend on the progress you’ve made since the previous weekend and you’ll likely notice a change. Looking for daily progress will leave you disappointed.

Wonderful that you’re getting in and out of bed without assistance. Continue icing as you are, it should help with pain and inflammation.

I think you’ll do okay once your husband returns to work. Surprisingly some are alone at home from the beginning and do just fine. The more organized you are ahead of time, the better you‘ll fare. Maybe you’ll feel better if you have a friend, family member or neighbor check in on you mid-day for the first few days. I don’t think it’s necessary, but it may make you feel more confident in spending a large portion of the day by yourself. It’s an idea to consider.

I hope you have a nice evening…Happy One Week Anniversary!
@Mythmomma

I know how you felt @Mythmomma . I was apprehensive when OH had to go back to work. Actually it was probably a good thing as it meant I had to work out how to do things for myself. It all takes time of course but I've got time! Just planning out the various stages of having a shower seemed a logistical puzzle at first but I've got it sussed now. With my trusty grabber I managed to do a large washing yesterday and hung it all up neatly. Took ages!! Felt very satisfying though. Good luck.

11 days post op. Still a lot of swelling but very little bruising. Quite stiff. My knee and quads are very sore and stiff. Bending my knee during my stretching exercises is not fun. I am icing lots. Frustrated that my pain level seems to have plateaued. I know I should be patient but it is hard.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom