My X-ray scares me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elizak

senior
Country
United States United States
Wondering if this surgery will even work. Starting to chicken out....I posted X-ray elsewhere, could not figure out how to post again.

Try not to be too scared, I know its hard. As the time for your op comes closer its only natural to start to question if its worth doing and starting to talk yourself out of it.
Honestly the build up to it is far worse than the surgery itself, basically you go to sleep, you wake up and its done ! The worse part is all the things you start imagining in your mind and questioning if you really need it doing and is it not really just something else ? All those thoughts crossed my mind but I acknowledged that I couldn't live the rest of my life in pain and it would only get worse.
I hated catching sight of my reflection in a shop window, I was limping like an old lady and this wasn't what I felt like inside.
I am so glad I had it done, it was six weeks ago and after about 3 weeks I hardly had any pain, just a few twinges now and again . It's such a joy to have both legs feel the same and its only a few weeks out of your life and that pain will be a distant memory.
I will need my other one done at some point, probably in a few years time but I will not hesitate, why put up with pain when you don't have to ?

That pretty much says it all!

The surgery is such a gift...it will give you a new pain free Jump start on life again which is fabulous!

It's normal as you get closer to question everything.

xxooxx

I love how Sarah said it--I have also viewed this surgery as a gift that has been like a miracle for me.

If you have a surgeon you trust, trust him or her to do the job and you just follow the instructions about recovery. Let them worry about the surgery itself.

I know ... easier said than done. Nervousness is normal. This is a big deal!

Dorothy

Elizak hang in there you can do this We are surgery companions you get a new hip the day I get a new knee. When ever that dreaded ole doubt monster :skeptical: comes poking his head out just flick him away. There are several of us having surgery on the 19th and I am hoping we are able to be spiritually connected on our surgery date giving each other support:grouphug2:

You are not experiencing anything that we have not all felt so you are in good company. Getting scared is part of it, getting depressed is part of it, fortunately feeling less pain and being able to get on with your life is also part of it. There is only one thing and one thing only that you have to do, get the surgery over with. From that point, it's all downhill, albeit a somewhat painful descent. Give yourself 3 weeks and you will not believe the difference. I guess when it gets down to it, it all consists of one big leap of faith.

Hi Elizak

Please listen to some of your bone smart buddies on here britchick, newnee and Sarah and include myslef, the best thing i have ever had done.
The constant pain used to drive me mad and couldn't wait to get my op.
There will be pain for a while but you will be in recovery with a nice new hip and feeling much better.
I felt nervous just before I got my hip done but trust me i don't regret it now.

Billy

Elizak,
I have to echo everyone's words here! I felt a LOT of anxiety pre-surgery last May before my LTHR, wish I had known about this site then! You will find a lot of support and great advice here. Now, I can't wait to have the right side done (May 14) and wish it were tomorrow!
Just remember, it will get better, soooo much better and think about how great it will be to be painful and able to do things again:) Good luck and remember we are all wishing you well!
Dee

Elizak,
Just wishing you well in your decision making process. It is right that it is your choice as there are no guarantees with this surgery. However pre op I did have an absolute guarantee of one thing - my arthritic pain was just going to get worse, I was not going to miraculously be able to most of the things I wanted to, I would soon not be able to drive at all, every step was becoming increasingly painful. I was absolutely guaranteed that my life and hence my familys life was going to get worse.

Read through the threads on the recovery side- there are so many stories. Each has similarities, each has differences. Your story is unique to you. Find out as much as you can so that you have an input. Be aware of what will happen and what may happen, have plans in place ready if that helps. Expect recovery to be longer and harder than it could be so that if that happens it doesn't come as a shock.

As everyone has said here the fear factor comes with the territory. I have never been so scared in all my life than when I sat in my hospital room waiting for my op. I wanted to run out and get as far as I could from that day. Yet I couldn't run and I could hardly even walk and I had kids that wanted me to play with them.. And so I stayed The experience is a roller coaster ride of emotions. Brit Chicks description of the op was spot on "you go to sleep, you wake up and its done" and it is an amazing feeling to be on the other side. The fear will be there, bonesmarties will reassure you the best they can; but you are on a journey and it will be beside you. And yet there is so much more to accompany you. Take hope along closely , picture yourself as you would like to be in the future. Accept the prescence of fear but grasp hope tightly and keep it close. Sarah beautifully descibes her experience as a "gift" - and it can be an exciting new beginning.

Good luck - listen to these stories with your heart and I think you will probably know if the time is right for you. If you make the decision to have the op try to
make it only once - rather than agonizing over it on a daily basis.
Gizmo

Hey Elizak good luck tomorrow see you on the other side

Elizak, it's your day today. All the best! See you on the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks