Ankle My Total Ankle Replacement

SkellyBones

Country
Canada Canada
Hello!

When I was 20, I had a Total Ankle Replacement (TAR) in my left ankle after years of Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis. When I was about to have the surgery, I couldn't find many "real" (I.e. not medical marketing companies) videos about having a TAR so I hope this video helps demystify the surgery and recovery process!

I had the surgery at St. Michaels Hospital in Toronto, Ontario so the video may be a little specific to that experience. As I mentioned in the video I am always happy to connect and talk about my experience, the results, and any other questions you may have!

I appreciate your support! :)

Here's the video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this! I'm a little confused about how long you had to keep toes above nose and when you were able to put pressure on the ankle. I'll be getting a Vantage TAR in the fall and my surgeon says that the recovery time is generally shorter than other models that can require a month or more of no pressure. Also, did you use a knee scooter? I'd like to avoid crutches to protect my shoulders. Again, thank you for this very helpful preview!

@gitana plan to spend at least 4-6 weeks with toes above nose as often as possible. Time without weight bearing differs by OS, for my STAR some doctors allowed weight bearing immediately, mine wanted 6 weeks with no weight in a cast. According to him out comes at 6 months were identical, why take a chance on movement of the components before they had fully bonded to the bone. I didn't use a knee scooter but wish I had. I actually used a wheel chair for a couple of weeks, that was the only way I could really get out of the house for something other than a doctors visit.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom