TKR My TKR 12/16/19: Easier Than I Thought - THEN AGAIN!

Yeah here's yearning for 'normal' on so many levels. We're on tight lock-down here in Michigan...:praying:...

Thanks so much for staying in touch. The good news is better eating (more thoughtful) has helped me loose weight! But lack of exercise has brought out new pains and even the return of a few 'zingers'. The numb areas more localized since last post. Pain is simply from less exercise, nothing structural. I'm going for a walk today to help pull things together. My floor and other exercises must increase as I'm now in a goal setting event per a family member I can connect with goal-wise by our Fitbits.

Funny to see the refined structure of my knee from loosing 12 lbs or so. Skin over knee feels tighter now at 18 weeks post TKR. I am able to lean into my own bed to change bedding with only pain at the scar level. My scar remains dark, even darker. Maybe that will improve once a ray of sun hits the knee.

Next week looking harder at some form of peddler to get legs over all back together. Be well and safe.

Last edited:
@LD of Michigan, I empathize with the ache or pain in your lower leg now versus your knee area. I'm having the same thing. I also want the numbness to be gone -- mine's not just across the knee, but down the outside of my calf too. And the incision area is still so sensitive. A number of people in this thread mention similar issues;
Week 10 here and going through the exact same things. Especially the outer calf numbness/pain. I know for me it's from the calf bones being moved around, but no one warned me about that pain/ zingers (and to see you are still going through them, sigh)
Yeah here's yearning for 'normal' on so many levels. We're on tight lock-down here in Michigan...
Entering week 5 of total lockdown here; have had to get out of the house 4 times (been wearing masks for 3weeks now). To be outside and no-one else around, is concerning/odd/photo-worthy. Not expecting any sense of normalcy to return until 4 July (aka early July).

Congrats on the weight loss too!!

Well done on loosing weight - I think we are all finding it hard to motivate ourselves in lockdown, my DH is a keen walker & insists on me going every morning on a mini cross country hike with the dogs, I must have been very out of form previously as I'm hurting in muscles that I haven't felt in a long time but hopefully with time this will disappear, I'm now at 6 months post op, swelling is minimal, my clickety click is still there but only noticeable if I swing my legs from side to side( similar to yours ) I use Bio Oil on my scar have done so now for several months and it's faded quite well, I'm sure you can get similar in the US. My surgeon did warn me not to get sun on it for at least a year and to make sure I wear a very strong sun protector factor on it in the summer months as the skin is still very sensitive. Have a look at a mini peddler they are ok but as I mentioned before you need to be quite disciplined otherwise the gather dust haha.
Stay safe and keep up the good work xx

@Rucked Up wow you have been in confinement the same amount of time as Portugal although as our Government heeded early warnings we only expect to be in lockdown till mid May hopefully, our numbers are thankfully small for Europe unlike our neighbour Spain sadly.
Zingers are totally normal in this recovery, today it felt like someone hit my knee with s hammer ...my DH is getting used to me howling out every now and then :heehee: and I'm at 6 months post surgery, I have heard they can go on for quite a long time.
Stay safe xx

Next week looking harder at some form of peddler to get legs over all back together. Be well and safe.

LD I had an exercise bike that was unable to adjust tension so I ordered a peddler before surgery & was glad I tried it out ahead of time as I hated it ,returned it & ordered a recumbent exercise bike.Mine seemed very unstable & would move around too much for me. Just be sure what you order is returnable

Hello Pam. I hope you and everyone are well and we move thru this month. I've been away continuing to adapt classes I teach to online format (tons of fun and time with that)... :hugzz: !

What brand recumbent bike did you purchase? It's crazy to decide. You're right I can't seem to find a peddler worth considering just from reading the reviews, no less bothering to order.

LD- I got the Marcy recumbent ME 709 on Amazon for $159. My criteria was adjustable tension & easy to get on. It works great & ive had no problems with it.

Hi LD,
I was able to drag it into the house but I hired a handyman that I use to put it together. It took him hardly anytime to get it put together - I knew if I attempted it, it would have been painful getting on the floor to put it together & frustrating.

Update: seeking some means of peddling/ and home exercise I purchased the Ancheer Under the Desk Bike Pedal Exerciser. Great! I use sitting in my locked four-wheeler which now serves as my exercise station for my seated exercises. The Ancheer peddler is sturdy, quiet to get my heart rate going. I can position the peddler closer to get more knee bend, or further away as I need.

I like that his model has a magnetic fly-wheel that makes it feel more like a real gym cycler! It's high enough off the ground get in a good revolution. I was able to assemble in 15 minutes!! Glad to have it as I was getting too sedentary. This peddler will help. I purchased it from Amazon.

Last edited:
Hola everyone! I'm back... :egypdance:had to power thru my classes (all converted to online instruction) and the very dark days of COVID-19 where we had very high numbers (SE Michigan) and you measured your time to some extent or another as to how much you went out vs. stayed in etc.

I managed to keep my TKR knee relatively active using a home peddler :bicycle2:and today going out to rent a bike to cycle a bit about a college campus. I hope everyone is doing well.

Never have cooked so much in my life! The cooking taught me a great deal about how to season and try new seasoning and food combination to keep the things going and spice up the same old!

@LD of Michigan Thanks for checking in! Yes, strange times indeed. Glad that knee is behaving.

Any great recipes to share? We are all in the same mode!

My recipes are hard to replicate as I am uneven in measuring (which is why I do not bake cakes or breads where you must be very accurate).

I did learn of three news seasonings that are great (more about flavor and not just hot or salty):

- Himalayan Salt (I rarely use straight salt but this one is great). Less is more!
- Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute Blend - no salt (includes black pepper, celery seed, cayenne pepper, parsley, basil, marjoram, bayleaf, oregano, thyme, rosemary, cumin, mustard, coriander, garlic, orange peel, tomato granules etc.). Great for salads, sauces, spaghetti, eggs etc.
- Biryani powder (a currie or blend of sorts containing ingredients such as cloves, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, bay leaves, coriander, onions, tomatoes, etc). It's not hot. I loved using this to vary up my rice and chicken recipes imparting an Indian/ Hindu/ Mediterranean flavor I craved . Best applied during cooking process. Seems to tenderize meats and great for veggies too.

Over the last 60 days I used a great deal of ground pepper as well. Far better...

Got on a first name basis of pealing and cutting garlic bulbs finely for cooking. I guess I could get a garlic press!

Learned how to eat leftovers too. Sometimes flavors are better the next day!

Hola everyone! Holding forth here in the Great Lake State - Michigan! Going into my 7th month since TKR. Knee is doing very well, wound finally getting flatter yet still dark (but I scar dark anyway). Despite the COVID I have attempted to keep some form of exercise going, including peddling at home and rental bike. I'll be flying soon and will report back going thru the metal detector! LOL!

The numb area (that is associated with TKRs) is much smaller now as many here said it would...:SUNsmile: I'm a bit concerned that to-the-touch my TKR knee hurts below the implant area on the outer right section. It's a deep pain I notice when I rub or apply lotion. I guess I still have some time to go for that residual pain to go. It's less in the AM. So I'm thinking it is just the long-term healing process. Right?

My whole area below the knee is tender to the touch, but I've had a lot of previous surgeries. Since you're only 7 months into this healing, I bet yours will get much better. It sounds like you are doing great!

I continued to see improvements after the first year, and, after the second year! Where you are now is not where you will end up.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back