Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR My Surgery

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Hibb1016 Welcome to BoneSmart! Which hip are you having replaced? We will put the date in your signature for you.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We are here to help.

Here are a couple of articles that might help you prepare for your recovery.

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Read the links that Jaycey left and look through old forums.

Ask all the questions you want to ask. We love it (only if you feel comfortable, of course) if you shared a bit about yourself and your history with hip issues. This info can help us connect with you and encourage you. And yes, tell us which hip is being operated on.

OP
OP
Hibb1016

Hibb1016

Country
Hello,
I am 48 years old and having my right hip replaced. The pain really started about 9 months ago, but I suspect I’ve been dealing with this for much longer. My xrays show that I’m bone on bone. My mom had both hips replaced, so I’m guessing it’s my genetics. Looking forward to being pain free, but very nervous as well! My main concerns are anesthesia and blood clots.

Hip4life

senior
Country
I told my OS 18 months was how long I had had pain. I,too, suspect it had been longer. Isn’t it crazy how we’re looking forward to getting rid of the pain but nervous as well. And we should be-it IS major surgery. Spinal anesthesia with sedation was hands down the best anesthesia I’ve experienced with no after effects at all for me. Preventing blood clots is a high priority with this surgery so there will be a plan for that. Either a round of low dose aspirin or other blood thinner course depending on other possible health concerns you might have. Make sure you ask or share your concerns with your health care provider and they will be happy to explain and reassure you. All of this will be so worth it. Not too much longer now before the start of the journey to getting your life back. Keep us posted.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Hibb1016
Share your concerns of anesthesia with the anesthesiologist and I’m sure their reassurance will comfort you. As far as blood clots they will prescribe meds for that, or an aspirin regimen. They can also send you home with inflatable cuffs, if they feel it’s necessary, so that may be another option. Make sure to discuss these concerns with your surgeon, or care team, as you prep for surgery on Monday so they can reassure you that all is under control.

I will look for ward to following your healing journey on the recovery side soon.
Wishing you comfort as you await Monday. You’re going to love the result! :happydance:

Golden

Country
Your concerns are understandable and as it has just been said, please talk to your doctors. If I am having a phone discussion, it helps me to prepare by having my questions written down (in front of me) and then I write down their answers.

IMPORTANT:
Number one thing I learned, ask for what you need.

My OS changed her plan for preventing blood clots because I brought it to her attention that 4 days after surgery, I would be on a flight home. She knew I was coming from another state and would fly back home after surgery, but people, especially physicians are busy, and sometimes need a reminder. Her new plan helped, especially when she decided I did not need to wear portable leg pump devices on the plane!

My OS only uses general anesthesia, her nurse said that is because my OS wants to make sure her patient does not wake up until the surgery is over. I still had requests and questions for the anesthesiologist because I knew I had some medication sensitivities. I wrote my questions down, memorized them, and had a constructive dialogue when I saw the anesthesiologist in the pre-op area a few minutes before my surgery.

Oh, and the IV that is started in the pre-op area, sometimes goes in first try and sometimes it doesn't. When I had my surgery, the nurse tried one time, blew the vein, and to her credit, she then found another nurse (who had no trouble). When my child had a surgery a few years ago, after the nurse missed twice, she would have tried again if I had not said that was it, get someone else. The next nurse had no problem.

Take care, wishing you well @Hibb1016 !

Best,
Golden

Hip4life

senior
Country
Sending you blessings for a smooth surgical experience and good pain management. Will be looking for you on the healing side where we all breathe a sigh of relief! ❤

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Thinking of you this morning.. will watch for you on the recovery side.. :ice:

Golden

Country
Hi @Hibb1016,

I am thinking of you today.
Please take really good care of yourself and give yourself lots of time and TLC as you recover from your surgery and begin the road to recovery!

My best,
Golden

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Best wishes for today and I hope by now you are resting comfortably. See you on the recovery side when you are able.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Hibb1016
I hope you’re resting comfortably with pain well managed. Please request ice if they’re not providing it, it truly helps with pain and swelling. :ice:
Safe travels home. Hope to hear from you soon on the recovery side. :wave:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
LauraP2016
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom