BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

My Story

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by gecko, Jul 11, 2018.

1. gecko

gecko junior member

Australia Australia
    Our house is situated on the side of a hill with a verandha jutting out, on this we have an outdoor heated Spa,
    In November 2017 I hopped out of the Spa stepped sideways putting all my weight on my left leg whilst getting my glasses from the bench and went straight through the flooring up to my upper thigh, despite my screaming for help no one came, I could feel my leg starting to throb as the circulation was beginning to be cut off, so had to just get it back through the broken board, that is when the damage was done to my knee,
    For 12 weeks, and after ultrasound, xray, and physio, I was told there was only superficial soft tissue damage and bruising but the pain and swelling never ceased, eventually I was sent for MRI and given an appointment to see the surgeon, I saw him on the 5th of Febuary 2018 he firstly offered a 12 week rehab program to which I stated I had already done12 weeks physio so he did athroscopy on the 8th Febuary, after explaining I will wake from day surgery with a bandage around my knee and a 4 to 6 week recovery time, I woke with a hip to ankle brace and 2 drains coming from my knee, and have yet to recover.
    My surgeon says the amount of damage inside my knee was not easy to see on the MRI if it were he would of done TKR that day , and he could not say if there will be any improvement, well there was not
    Fast forward to now and I have recently lost 11kgs it didnt help either, but I feel great, I saw surgeon 2 weeks ago and thats when we made a new plan, why did we pick October for my TKR, well it will give me time to build up both legs in hope of a better recovery, then I am going on an 8 day cruise with my Daughters and Daughter in law for her birthday , we set sail 22nd October and get back 29th October, and have surgery on 31st October,
    I live 4 hours from the port so will drive to my sisters then into hospital to start the next chapter of my left knee, and as I type this the pain is really really bad but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and for that I am truly grateful :)))))

2. beachy

beachy graduate

United States United States
    That is the best way to pre-hab before TKR that I have ever heard!!!
    A pre surgery cruise. Love it!!!:egypdance:

3. gecko

gecko junior member

Australia Australia
    Sure is.... and the fact that I dont want to be hobbling around worse than now whilst on the cruise keeps me from having surgery earlier.
    15 weeks and counting :))))))))

4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi @gecko and :welome: You’ve certainly had an interesting time getting here!

I rather love your lead up to surgery. A cruise will be wonderfully relaxing — search for cruise tips, as this site has plenty of them, that might help your pre-op pain — and give you a nice mental break. Or you can ask so we can talk about it. :)

Be sure to set up your recovery nest before you leave for the port!

Here is some reading to help you as you prepare for surgery.

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

5. gecko

gecko junior member

Australia Australia
    Thank you Susieshoes, I will certainly look at all of this imformation, and will definately have my recovery nest set up before I go, one of my Daughters who will be on the cruise with me lives in the same town so will come and make last minute changes as I am leaving my husband here to fend for himself for 2 weeks

6. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I can’t imagine leaving Mr. Shoes behind for two weeks... well, maybe... hmmm.... Sounds like you’re really on for a get-away! :happydance: Maybe your husband can do some of the last minute prep, like freeze the ice packs (or water bottles for your ice machine if you use one). Sounds like he might have some use for your freezer for his own stay at home.

7. Gingercat

Gingercat junior member

Hi gecko so sorry to hear about your accident. It made me cringe reading about your knee, but thank god for knee replacements. I think it's wonderful that you are going on a cruise! You will be seeing wonderful sights and not thinking about surgery.

8. gecko

gecko junior member

Australia Australia
    Thank you Gingercat, can't wait to go on the cruise, and my decision to have surgery as soon as we get back was exactly what you thought keep my mind of it all for the preceding week, I am still worried :-((( though I work as a nurse it is a bit different being on the receiving end, but having a few issues apparently I have to have blood tests 1 week pre op but of course I will be on the ocean :)))), I am really grateful to have found this site it is comforting to know there are others out there to talk to, I am on night shift at the moment, it is 5 past midnight what time is it there in the USA.

9. Rhodyrhody

Rhodyrhody member

Same...only, noon, not midnite ;-)

10. gecko

gecko junior member

Australia Australia
    well that is going to be easy to remember Ha Ha :heehee::heehee::heehee:

11. beachy

beachy graduate

even a stopped clock is right twice a day LOL
    I can't imagine having blood work done after a cruise! Mine would be off the charts. Between the food and adult beverages. Better fast before LOLOLOL