BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community

[THR] My Story

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by yoop, Jan 6, 2017.

1. yoop

yoop

United States United States
    Things have calmed down, seems I was overdoing it. It is hard to sit around with so many things to do here at home and at work. Obviously my body told me rather quick I was working too hard. I'm back to one crutch, and trying not to move around too much without it. We're having a heck of a winter so it is hard with so much snow to move.

2. Cas

Cas

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    glad you're feeling a bit better. Are you a one man snow shifting business or can you delegate some of the work? If you push yourself too hard at the beginning then you may take longer to heal. It is hard to strike a balance especially as we are used to just doing instead of recovering. Hope you get meds and work sorted. Best of luck for a good recovery

3. yoop

yoop

I've dialed it back. I still need to get out to the truck, get in, and then I'm good. I've been doing maybe an hour a day plowing snow. Just feel guilty having someone else take care of everything.

4. Cas

Cas

@yoop so glad you're not doing so much. Don't feel guilty this is your time to get really fit and well and that means looking after your new hip. You will soon be back to doing everything you want it just takes a bit of patience and a back seat for a while. It's hard - we all feel that way. Keep smiling you'll get there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. yoop

yoop

Thanks Cas, so nice to have people who can make us all feel better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. yoop

yoop

Well it's 6 weeks and 3 days for me. Had my 5 week check up last week with xrays and saw the Surgeon. Xrays looked great and the visit gave me the confidence to shed my crutches. I am getting around just fine without any help. The hip feels great although there is some muscular soreness that I would think is to be expected.

I actually shot a few baskets yesterday at my daughters practice. Still hard bending down to pick something up, but as I get stronger I would imagine I will be able to stretch a little more. Pretty much off the pain meds, I will take one if I get super sore. Now I just have to strengthen it up. Doc said I could probably do some Cross Country skiing by the end of Feb. I'm thinking about getting out on my snowshoes for a small walk.

Overall it was a long haul, but actually a short time that seemed so much longer. Hang in there everyone, and a big thanks to everyone here who gave me advice and other help.

Now on to my other hip.....:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. leejaa

leejaa

Congratulations on getting off the crutches and progressing to more activities. Just remember to go slow and listen to your body so you do not overdo and cause pain. The excitement of being able to do more can lead us astray. Enjoy the snow shoes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cas

Cas

@ yoop hi again so glad you are progressing well. Just remember to pace yourself. It's not a race ! LOL ! I am 3 months post op and although I'm older than you I am happy that I can walk 2 miles one day then rest and walk 2 miles the next. So be kind to yourself, listen to your body - it will tell you when it's ok to do stuff. Happy healing - you are doing so well!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. yoop

yoop

Just thought I would check back in. I'm at 9 weeks on Monday and my left hip feels so much better that it is almost unbelievable. I have been x country skiing twice with no setbacks. My right hip is much worse than the surgical hip at this point. I would have never thought I would be saying this at 9 weeks, but it worked out good so far. Haven't had any pain medication in a couple weeks and have been walking without aid since Jan 17th.

Thanks to everyone who helped me through those first few weeks of pain and uneasiness. I will try to do the same to the new hippys from time to time. God Bless all.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Cas

Cas

@yoop that's wonderful!:loveshwr: Must be amazing to get back on those skies. Hope all goes great guns from now on. Cheers Carol:cheers:

11. tyorke1

tyorke1

Canada Canada
    When you think you will be able to golf, glad things are better.

12. yoop

yoop

Not sure. Been taking a few swings here and there, but not anything too aggressive. Still quite a bit of snow here.

13. yoop

yoop

I've started walking daily and gave up the skiing when I started experiencing some pain at the top of my hamstring area when I stand up from bending or stand up from a seated position. Right in the back under my butt cheek and the inside back of the groin area.

I called my OS and they said it was probably the hamstring itself and it didn't sound like it was anything gone wrong in the joint. I have zero pain walking, unless I bend over, then on the way back up I feel almost like a pull on the hip itself.

Other than that, I'm coming along fine at 3 months now. I have no doubt my other hip is going to need to be done. It hurts when I walk and the surgical hip does not.

Anyone that has had the same hamstring symptoms?

14. KCDawg34

KCDawg34

Congrats on what sounds like a great recovery, yoop. I'm at week 10 on my RTHR and it's doing ok, but not quite where you were at week ten. I'm thinking having my second hip done two weeks ago. Or it could be because I'm a couple years older than you, lol. You just never know how these things will work out. But, both hips seem to be coming along, so I'm looking forward to the time (fall, maybe?) when I can play golf without pain and perhaps actually finish a swing, lol.

Best of luck on your new hip and don't wait too long on the other if it needs it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

My hamstrings were majorly tight post LTHR. I started doing very gentle hamstring stretches just a few weeks post op and have been doing the seated stretches several times per day since.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. yoop

yoop

Back checking in. Left hip is wonderful, it feels stronger than I can remember. I have my appointment for my right hip on May 30th. Right now I am trying to figure out if I should give up my short summer season up here in the north and get it done in the fall, or just bite the bullet and get it done. It is inevitable that I will need it done. I can hardly play a round of golf so maybe summer is just going to be lots of work and pain if I wait. Going to be a big decision.

It's hard to believe that the pain will ever be gone. Getting pain meds is like pulling teeth, or maybe even worse. I have to horde them like a fiend, waiting for that couple hours of relief when I need it bad.

I'm sure I'll be back soon and will def post after I have the right hip done. Good Luck to all!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey Moderator

Don't wait! Life is too short to live in pain. You will be SO happy when your second hip is done. No more pain or pain meds!

18. yoop

yoop

Our summers are so short up here. I have so many commitments that scheduling the surgery is going to be nightmare. Between work, kids softball, and summer activities I'll be missing a lot. The last couple days have been pretty bad though and I'm coming around to the fact that I'm not going to be able to make it through the summer.

19. yoop

yoop

August 17th is my day for my second hip. It's been a long summer that went by quick. Does that make sense...?

20. Irish Joe

Irish Joe Forum Advisor

Ireland Ireland
    Best wishes on the 17 Aug yoop.
    Looks like you really need this second one done so you can complete your recovery.
    There'll be no problem ploughing the snow next January.
    Joe.....

• Agree Agree x 1