Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

Way to go, @CPH! With the need for a revision which lengthens out this whole recovery progress, you've certainly been through the wringer! But sounds like you took a deep breath and plunged right in, so good for you! I can't imagine losing weight after hip replacement as my goal is simply not to put any one that I can't take off quickly after full recovery. I was scrolling through library topics a few days ago, and was horrified to see some article that said that 66% of all hip (or maybe it was joint) replacement patients put on weight after surgery! That didn't happen last time so I'm pretty sure if I monitor the situation carefully I'll be okay. But the combination of laughable physical exertion plus big time eating (yet another "activity" to fill one's long days!) makes your weight loss of 15 pounds super impressive! Kudos to you, and I hope within a few weeks you'll be able to attempt more weight bearing. I feel extraordinarily lucky that I am able to balance evenly on both hips/legs, no uneven listing onto my good side. Still sore and stiff when I move, but once I'm up and the initial rush of standing passes, I am fairly steady on my pins. Anyway, keep on doing what you're doing--it's working! Hurray for you!

Happy Monday @CPH
Congrats on toe-touch weight bearing. :yay: It's certainly a step in the right direction. :yes!:
Also, a big congratulations on the weight loss. That's an awesome accomplishmet since you're not moving much. You manage to stay upbeat through this experience which is refreshing. I hope you continue to notice steady progress and have a great week. Thanks for updating. :)

I have found my new hips don't like the extra weight I've put on since my surgery. I'm looking to drop 10 lbs.
Really hard to do when your activity is limited...so kudos to you for your sensible approach to healthier eating.
Hope today is a good day @CPH :flwrysmile:

Last edited:
Hurray for toe touches and weight reduction!! @CPH

So glad to read you are progressing and have not had any other issues crop up. My heart goes out to you. I like your idea of swimming PT. Having someone help you in and out would be a great reassurance. My knee hurts too. Lots of reading on the subject. Very common for knees to hurt. They notice slightest change in pelvic tilt. Try to hold your body up straight and not lean forward too much. Almost impossible with toe touches. :console2:So glad you can see the light with 2 weeks to go. You have been through so much.

Very impressive weight loss! I have lost a few too. For different reasons. I have been following an anti inflammatory diet for three weeks. Mostly loading up on greens and eliminating the sugary white stuff. Have not been perfect, but noticed less swelling within a week. Down 5 pounds so far. Thank you for stopping by to say hello today. Really means a lot! Take care. Will stop back soon. ❤️

So coming up on 7 weeks post op from revision, but 11 weeks if you include the original surgery. Last 2 days have been difficult as I’m a bit “bluesy”. Feeling like a caged bird that wants to take flight, but can’t and 11 weeks is a long time to not be able to do much, plus the So. Calif weather gets pretty warm in the daytime this time of year, so going outside is not the best. This morning I do feel better, but there are still so many things I want to do but can’t just yet. Been doing toe touch weight bearing this last week and while it’s just a tiny bit of weight I noticed assorted hip aches some evenings. Been able to sleep for short bouts on both operated and non operated sides using a knee pillow, but after a couple of hours have to turn onto back or other side...means tossing throughout the night and probably not getting the best sleep. Due to OS’ vacation, won’t see him for almost 3 more weeks. On the up side, Hubby and I are hoping to get away for a weekend soon (staying in a 3 hour radius), and hoping that will help energize me. Ok, enough Of my pity party (can’t stand myself when I am down in the dumps) time to see if I can find something new to do today from my recliner.

Welp, I don’t mind when someone else has the blues, except for the fact that emotional pain is pain, just like any other kind of pain. But I can’t agree with my friend @CPH that she’s somehow not as good company or endearing or admirable when she has a heartache instead of a hipache. And I can’t help but wish she would be as understanding with herself as I am sure she would be with anyone here, if they were oh-so-ready to be done with all of this recuperation nonsense!

Three weeks is a long time to wait for the next doctor visit, and approval to move to the next recovery step. Eleven weeks is longer than you ever imagined you’d be seeing life from a recliner. Progress must seem glacially slow - perhaps even a figment of your imagination. Who wouldn’t be dismayed? Possibly Shirley Temple.

From the outside, I see a few things though. I know you must be healing or you wouldn’t have the wherewithal to chafe at your limitations. Compassion, strength, patience are true riches - and the suffering you are going through is the only way to develop them. And once you regain the freedom you crave, this temporary time of limitation will recede in your memory, perhaps without even leaving a scar. All will be well.

I'm sorry you're feeling rather blue today @CPH Given all you've been through you're certainly entitled. While we don't hear from you daily, when we do, you've always come across as upbeat, positive and grateful. I've admired that in you given the circumstances you're dealing with. A getaway with hubby sounds like a wonderful idea! I'm not sure if you have a wheelchair, or not, but (Wendy's) decided to get one the other day to use temporarily so she can get out more easily to see and do things as she waits. May be a consideration if you're not already using one...
Wonder if a good old Sunday drive would do the trick for you? Lunch, dinner, or even coffee and dessert somewhere in the AC? People watching at a nearby mall? Anything to help lighten your mood and not make you feel so caged in. My heart goes out to you, I hope the day brightens as it progresses.
Hugs

Sending ❤️ @CPH :flwrysmile:

Your weekend get away sounds like just the ticket! Blues are so very normal after all the imposed solitude and pain. I am so sorry this happened to you. It’s not fun in anyway or fair for that matter. So it’s ok to indulge in the blues some days. I always think of California as mild. Guess it’s hot everywhere in August. Hope you get your get out of jail card soon. They never come soon enough do they?

Fingers crossed this all heals up soon. xx Sarah

@Layla Yes on the wheelchair! We bought a decent one when my hubbys Family came to town so I could participate in dinners out and dr appointments as It takes forever for me to get around on the walker. Feeling better today as we made arrangements to spend the upcoming weekend in Santa Barbara...only a 3 hour drive which I thought would be plenty for my 1st long outing...wheelchair AND walker in tow of course! Hoping for lovely weather. Thank you @Fit4Family and @Ptarmigan for your kind words too.

Happy Monday :wave:
Wonderful to read you'll be spending the weekend in Santa Barbara. How lovely!
Wishing you perfect weather. Safe travels and enjoy!
@CPH

@CPH you are making progress! Congratulations for both the toe touch walking AND continued weight loss. I need to rein myself in, for sure. It's not pleasant to feel the was it bands getting snugger.
Bless your heart, I can imagine that you are stir crazy and a little down in the dumps. I had a little set back last week and it really messed with my head, and there you are at 11 weeks and still limited. But you are most certainly making progress and I think you've kept your sweet nature throughout.

We hope to sneak off to the shore in a couple weeks, too. I won't have a wheelchair but I've seen nice scooter rentals and I'm not adverse to renting one! :snork: :vespa: OK, not that kind of scooter.. the elder scooter.. :rotfl:

@CPH hope you have a great time this weekend in Santa Barbara and that you have lovely weather the whole trip!
:cheers:

One thing that will sabotage loss: even subtle dehydration. So, the first thing I always check is whether I have short-changed water. The next thing is sleep. Shortchanging sleep affects weight, too (learned all this from an enlightened doctor).

@Ptarmigan, this is so true! I have played around with it and found that not drinking enough h2o and not getting enough sleep will cause me to gain weight, all other things being equal.

@CPH, good work with your healthy eating! I am sure it is helping your healing and your body is happier!!

So happy you have Santa Barbara to look forward to. Huge help to just change your scenery. Just stopping by to send some ❤️ Hope you have a great Tuesday! @CPH

Wishing you a relaxing getaway to Santa Barbara this weekend. I have some family there and hope to visit someday. In a few weeks you will have your x-ray and most likely be able to put some weight on that leg. What a change that will be! It's been a long stretch for you. I saw the exchange about the cerclage cables. I have one of those that was put in as a safety factor during my hip revision. The OS said that there was no reason to remove it at the end of the surgery, and it would provide some extra protection against fracture during recovery. As long as it is not bothering me, it will stay in. Keep taking good care of yourself. I look forward to your post in a couple of weeks when the OS tells you "WBAT" weight-bearing as tolerated!

Trip to Santa Barbara for my first post op trip was great! Wheelchair made getting around a piece of cake, but I do have a new appreciation for those permanently handicapped. Had to take a potty break on trip and had to be mindful of finding a bathroom where hubby could help me get in/out with doors, etc...Starbucks was the deal. Seemed like wheelchair accessibility was always a consideration, but seemed most places were ADA compliant. Today is a HUGE day for me. After 4 months I am finally getting my hair done. Been struggling with how I would get in the salon chair with the foot rest hanging in my way. Finally worked it out with my stylist...she’s going to do the cutting/weave from my wheelchair. Have to say that that wheelchair has been a lifesaver during this extended recovery/restricted weight bearing period when going out. It has also been great after my husband went back to work too. Allows me to wheel around in the kitchen and get/cook food throughout the day for myself and be hands free for carting things. Have to laugh at myself...I now have every implement you can imagine; walker, 3 grabbers, long shoehorn, recliner, wheelchair, sock assist, 2 canes, toilet seat riser, shower chair and now my newest addition mainly for vanity purposes.....crutches. Went out with them recently for a short trip and seemed to get fewer stares ....seems people just assume you have a sprain or a break. I was finding people very curious why I was relatively young and in a wheelchair, but could move my feet and legs. Still will use my wheelchair when it’s more convenient, and walker at night when I have to get up half awake and it’s dark. Also it’s easier to get out the front door than the walker or wheelchair. Next update will be next week after my 9.5 week appt. and hoping I will be able to increase my weight bearing and get an idea of when I might drive again. Getting so tired of being cooped up most days in the house.

Your trip was a success!! :loveshwr: Im so happy for you. and the hair appointment!! 4 months would be driving me crazy, good for you for having a hairdresser that will work with you with the restrictions. You will feel so good having that done.
You sound so positive and upbeat, as always.
Can't wait to hear about your next Dr visit. Wishing for good results for you,,you've so earned them. :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Good Morning and Happy Saturday :wave:
You're doing great! Happy to read you made it safely to and from Santa Barbara and enjoyed your time there. I'll bet it was beautiful and hopefully the weather was perfect.

Your posts are thought provoking in the sense of viewing the world through the eyes of the handicapped. Thankfully only temporarily handicapped in your instance. If we hadn't previously, I think most of us begin to view those in wheelchairs, those using assistive devices and those limping in a different light. I now feel more sympathetic. As ignorant as this sounds I never equated limping with pain, until I was limping in pain! Now when I see someone limping, I'm curious about their limitations because I realize they're struggling, wonder how badly they're hurting and what their issue is. Sadly, I never gave this a lot of thought before. We definitely experience growth through this process and a new appreciation for all we take for granted before its snatched from us. Thankfully we get a second chance! You're doing well...and you're on your way. As some of your biggest supporters we couldn't be any happier for you.

Thanks for updating. It was nice to hear from you. Please let us know how your 9.5 week post op appt goes. We'll be here.
Enjoy the weekend!
@CPH

Good Morning @CPH

What a lovely update about your get away to Santa Barbara! Boy can I relate to the hair appointment. My stylist for years finally came to me for a kitchen trim last winter. She has 3 flights of stairs and no elevator. Bet you are feeling like a new woman!

You are so smart to have purchased a wheel chair. It would have really improved my independence early on. So true how much this experience makes us more aware of handicaps and limitations. It also gives such compassion for the elderly. Isolation is so much more painful than I had ever considered. I get strange looks all the time when I’m out with our son. Still unsteady and using a cane. Had not thought of the crutch idea.

You have such a great attitude! Kudos on keeping it together. Pretty impressive. So happy you are getting closer to your OS appointment. Hoping there is great growth on your bone! Please check in and let us know how it goes. :flwrysmile:

New Update! So just returned from my appt with my OS this afternoon. He said xrays look great and fracture is not visible on X-ray any longer. He gave me the go ahead to increase weight bearing to 25% over this next week, then 50% for following week, then 75-100% over week 11 -12...whatever feels right. Once at 100%, then I am clear to drive again. No restrictions on bending now, or or lifting once I’m at 100%. He said to feel Free to travel anywhere I want by car or air, and only precaution is no dentist for 2 more months, and then prophylactic antibiotics for a min of 2 years post op before any dental cleaning or work. He said his recommendation is to stay with the antibiotic pre-dentist protocol forever as it would mean taking a small dose only once or twice per year and better “safe than sorry”....he didn’t actually say that but that was the gist. Currently no pain in my right leg, but it’s pinkish or more pink than my non-op leg, and my foot swells when my leg is vertical. He said that’s normal and should progressively get better once I am walking full weight on it. He did say it could take a year or so to not have any swelling. I went from taking Eloquis in first month post op to 1 baby aspirin and can stop taking that once I am walking unassisted, so at least a few more weeks. He also said once I hit 50% weight bearing, I can start outpatient PT to get my muscle tone and strength back to 100% pre-arthritis. I’m choosing a PT that does both water and traditional PT, is highly recommended and as luck would have it is only 10 minutes from my home! My next appt is early October and then if all is well, I won’t see him until June2020. Last goal he gave me was achieving a BMI of 25. Apparently longevity with the longer modular stems used with revisions is enhanced when BMI is lower. I am down almost 20 lbs in last 9 weeks post op, so I’m hoping to speed the weight loss once I am not so sedentary.

I am so excited to finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and get my life/lifestyle back to where it was before this whole arthritis deal started. Next milestone is 2 weeks away when I will get a pedicure, and I can’t wait!

Have a great weekend!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member