Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

@CPH that is such good news, so glad things are looking up! Love that you actually got to take advantage and enjoy lunch out! Amazing how it seems like everything is brighter and such after being housebound.
:wowspring::yay:

@CPH -- I'm trying to understand what this means about the subsiding of the implant prior to the femur break. So if this theory is true does that mean it is possible that your fall was the result of the break rather than the cause of the break?

@CafeFan18 potentially I suppose, but with out the x-rays, no way to tell. Also possible that stem was not fully secured at 4 weeks and twisting as I fell could have had the same effect. Guess we will never know for sure.

Well that's quite interesting even if you'll never know 100%. You must be so relieved that you're looking good now! Consider this another cheer from the sidelines among many.

@CPH What wonderful news. And possibly you would not have fallen at all, you were not at fault sounds like to me. But now you can be reassured everything is in the right place this time. So happy for your luncheon outside. I can just imagine seeing you sitting there and I bet the food tasted delicious.
Better days are ahead.:yes!:

Wonderful report! I am so happy for you and sounds like something was fixing to happen that fated day, huh?
So happy that you had a good check up AND had lunch outside! Ooh to always be able to enjoy the simple things. :dogwalk:

Count me among your many BoneSmart fans, vicariously enjoying your lovely lunch out, and your encouraging and informative appointment with the surgeon. The future sounds bright, @CPH .

This reminds me of a quote from a favorite book: “Champagne tastes as sweet no matter when you drink it.” Which, in this case, means the joy you will savor at the end of your recovery will in no way be diminished by the date on which it arrives, and could, in fact, be even greater.

Wonderful report @CPH

Pretty sure I hear a collective sigh of relief from all of us here. Lots of good news about placement, position and most especially no need to remove your titanium bands!

Lunch out with hubby was a sweet reward! :SUNsmile:

What a wonderful update! Thanks for sharing. I can imagine what sweet music to your ears it was to gain the reassurance that all looks good and the cerclage wires can stay in place! :happydance:I'll bet it made that patio lunch on beautiful Cali Summer day even more special. I hope the next month to full weight bearing flies so you can be on your way. Please continue to share you're journey. We're all rooting for you. :yes!:
@CPH

Good Morning @CPH
Noticed you on the forum. I hope you're doing as well as can be expected at this point.
Only one week left until you can start slightly bearing weight. An exciting step forward.
Wishing you a lovely week as you continue the journey. :walking:
Happy Monday! :)

Yes! Counting the days! Then just 2 weeks til 2nd post op X-rays/appt and hopefully more progress toward self sufficiency. Finally figured out how to get a shower ( was showering after 2 days with 1st surgery). We have a newly remodeled walk in shower, but due to being “one legged” right now, it’s not safe to get in or out just yet. However we finally figured out that if we took the glass doors out of our guest bath shower/tub combo and put up a shower curtain and moved in a shower chair it would allow me to get in and out on my own with walker nearby. Been showering there for 2 weeks and am in heaven! Prior to that it was hair washing flamingo style at the kitchen sink and doing bathroom sink baths. It’s the little things that are so missed!

Thank you for the well wishes!

Another awesome part of today was we took my wheelchair for the appointment and Hubby and I actually went to lunch afterward, sitting outside on the restaurant patio on a lovely and beautiful Southern California Day! It felt so liberating to go out into the world after be house bound for a month!

Yay -- wishing you many more days like that! Glad to hear your "reinforced" femur is doing well!

Big milestone! Finally can sleep on both sides!!! Smaller milestone...5 weeks post femur break, only 3 more weeks until I can put weight on my leg and check out my new hip. Hoping that between my long period of healing and the PT exercises any hip pain will be tolerable, or even better non existent when I take my first step on it.

Prior to that it was hair washing flamingo style at the kitchen sink and doing bathroom sink baths. It’s the little things that are so missed!

Isn't that the truth! We certainly gain a new appreciation for so many of the things we took for granted until they became difficult to do. It's good to read you found a way to shower.
Have a great rest of the week!
@CPH

@CPH, just read through your thread after you commented on mine. I'll be thinking about you in three weeks when you start weight-bearing on that hip. That will be a big day! In the meantime, it sounds like you are healing steadily from the surgery. Hoping the best for you and a complete recovery! It must be frustrating to realize that you may never know what caused the fracture. Just as I will apparently never know what caused my first femoral implant to loosen. Maybe just as well we don't know....

Big milestone today, can begin “toe touch” weight bearing. Got broken/new hip leg onto scale to determine pressure I can put on my foot...wow 10% is not very much, but does seem to give me a little bit of balance. 3 weeks until my next X-ray/appt and hopefully a new milestone. Have lost 15lbs since surgery which is no easy feat when you are completely sedentary. While OS did not say boo about losing any weight with first implant, with this new one he said I need to lower my BMI to a healthier level ( currently 29) to give myself the best odds of making this implant last.

@CPH It’s great to hear about each step of incremental progress! I have been chipping away at weight loss myself, from 34 at first appointment with OS to 30 now - was hoping to hit 29 for surgery but I 30 is still a solid gain. My PCP just reminded me my goals post-op are in the 25 and under range, to preserve the new hip but also for the benefit of rest of my body. Such a big part of my reason for THR is my overall health - knowing that a sedentary life will limit how healthy I can be. So I am right there with you!

@Ptarmigan my goal is also 25 (or less) and I’ve been eating really healthy since my first surgery, but may do a meal replacement shake (low carb) for one meal a day just to see if I can get my weight loss moving again...it’s stalled the last week. I imagine once I can move around better/more it will pick up again. Have to say I feel better with the weight loss so far and not eating anything bad. No white bread or refined sugar, just protein, fruits & veggies and using mostly olive oil and healthy fats. I’m okay taking it off slowly so that it becomes a lifestyle Change and not just a short term diet. I’m hoping to lose at least 10lbs more before going full weight bearing. Thank you for the support and encouragement!

@CPH Weight loss plateaus are unavoidable and incredibly frustrating! My experience taught me that any plan that works will keep working as long as you can keep faithful to all the details. I have had plateaus last 3 weeks, which was exasperating beyond words. One thing that will sabotage loss: even subtle dehydration. So, the first thing I always check is whether I have short-changed water. The next thing is sleep. Shortchanging sleep affects weight, too (learned all this from an enlightened doctor). I am eating much the way you do, and also paying attention to the proportions of the macronutrients, which is a tip I learned from anti inflammatory diets. I eat twice as much fruit/veg as I do protein at every meal. And, @CPH - the health benefits of this must be good for me, because after 10 weeks, my pre-op labs were outstanding.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom