Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

@Cecropia the weather was beautiful today, but July and August are often hot during the day. I am on a walker for 8 full weeks so can hop a bit on the good leg around the house. Before this all happened I only used the walker for a few days, so my arms are just now getting into shape and making it easier for me to maneuver. Fortunately, we have a one story home and lots of windows so even if I am house bound for a while, I have a nice view out to the yard and garden. Sad News is that my beloved Australian Shepherd is staying with my folks until I am more stable with better balance. My entire family is terrified I might fall, so they are hovering over me everywhere I go. Let’s just say any modesty I had, is now long gone.

@CPH I just now read through your thread- Oh my gosh, you have had a bad turn of events. You are right, the "would've should've could've" thought process can't be dwelled on. You are on house arrest of sorts, but you sound optimistic and I agree that it's a good thing that your home is one level! I am still in my first week of recovery and am already feeling cooped up from staying on the second floor only!
Best wishes for your recovery!! I'm thankful for your sharing, and am anxious to read about your future progress.
I'm sorry but I did chuckle about the hyper cautious family hovering closely by. But things will slowly settle down right? Hugs to you, my fellow hippie. Here's to everything going upwards and forwards from now on!!

Just in case anyone is interested.....old broken vs new fixed

cats.jpg
CPH 2.jpeg

Good Morning,
Many are interested. I believe our hearts collectively go out to you.
Thank you for sharing the x-rays and your story. Your emotional words have inspired many and we look forward to following your healing journey.
We're all rooting for you. You've got fans! :yes!: :yay:
Wishing you comfort and sending a hug.
@CPH

Just in case anyone is interested.....old broken vs new fixed
Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooo, that really shows how bad it was. My heart aches for you and wow, it really makes me realize that I have absolutely nothing to complain about when I see that. Even though they're hovering, at least you have your family to help you. :flwrysmile:

Oh gosh, well, look at those xrays. They tell the story! Well, I'm so glad you're on the other end of things and can begin the healing process again.

@CPH Thanks for posting the xrays. It's interesting to see how they fix the femur. I have an allergy to nickle, so if something like that happened to me I would need titanium rings. Do you know what metal they used to hold the bone in place while healing? Are the rings permanent? I would guess so... Too many questions right? Sorry.....❤

@Cecropia don’t mind getting questions at all. I hope to be helpful to others if only to be an example of why it’s important to stay aware of what you are doing, especially in the beginning. I was told the bands/cables are titanium and believe the are intended to stay. At least at the moment I can’t feel anything.

@CPH -- so sorry to hear about your fall. Take care of yourself (or rather, let others take care of you!) Sending you super duper healing vibes.

Visualize this time next year having lovely walks with your pup. :dogwalk:

@CPH, so sorry to hear of the fall ... can I congratulate you for something? I have had multiple relatives fight and argue and all but refuse to get into an ambulance ... One indeed got compromised care as a result ... So congratulations on letting yourself get into the ambulance ... I guess folks get frightened and worried about the "neighbors" seeing us ... that we can go into some kind of tough pose.

OMG, so sorry ... but so happy to hear that you feel grateful. I get that!

Last edited:
@Going4fun First time in an ambulance, but there was no way I could get up, and hey there were 4 strapping firefighter Paramedics tending to me, so didn’t mind it a bit (LOL!!!) Good thing because if we had tried to move me, I could have hurt myself more.

OMG @CPH !! :shocked:
You are my hippie twin, we are same day same hip hipsters. So I was particularly fixated reading about your fall. It brought home to me the reality that I'm perhaps getting a bit too complacent moving around my house and garden. My hubby hovers a bit when I get into/out of car etc and now I'm going to be more appreciative and less truculent child. Glad to hear you got fixed up so quickly and are now back home on the mend again. Sending you big hugs :friends:and comfort from across the pond. Thanks for sharing your experience, however painful, as a reminder to us all to be careful AND be grateful. :thankyou:

Oh wow, thanks for sharing your story and xrays @CPH! You are very brave, but sounds like your positive attitude is helping you through this set back. It was a wake up call to me to not be too complacent about my balance, you never know! All the best with your recovery, sounds like you are in good hands.

@CPH, I was just thinking of you and hope you are still doing well. I'm sure your family is still hovering and taking good care of you. Wishing you a happy 4th tomorrow! :flwrysmile:

@CPH Thinking of you every day, and hoping you can find moments of peace while you are wrapped in the blanket of your family’s devoted are. The “tincture of time” is reliable medicine, and it will serve you well.

Hi @CPH
I hope recovery is going smoothly over the past few days and you're able to rest comfortably.
You're on the minds of many and we're wishing you comfort and speedy healing.
If you'll leave the date of your last surgery we'll add it to your signature.
I hope you have a nice holiday and weekend.

:wave:@CPH
Hope your pain is managed well and you are chilling!:ice:
Healing mojo coming your way!:flwrysmile:

My 4½ inch glued incision turned into a 14 inch staple incision, since the surgery took longer than the hoped.
The incision is nothing to do with the length of the surgery, just how much access they needed to do the job.

But wow! you did a really good job on it!

if something like that happened to me I would need titanium rings. Do you know what metal they used to hold the bone in place while healing?
Those bands are Dall Miles bands and are made of plastic with an aluminium cable tie

Dall Miles femoral cables.JPG

Are the rings permanent?
They are not permanent. They just stay in there until the fracture is healed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom