Revision THR My RTHR journey and the road back to an active life.

CPH

Country
United States United States
Well, in 24 hours from now I should be going in for my bright shiny new hip. Not sure I will be able to post before I go under. I will see you on the other side with all the gory and glorious details! Thank you all for the support, info and advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
@CPH
See you back here tomorrow, looking forward to your first post!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

Reactions: CPH
So went in on time for my RTHR 7:30 sharp! Met with all Drs attending and then again in the blue OR with the special air handler and the the 2 assisting nurses. Chatted it up a few minutes in the OR with everyone then poof....lights out. Procedure was 1.5 hours start to finish, then off to recovery for 2 hours. Don’t remember much about recovery, but then finally to my room where a light lunch was waiting for me along with 10mgs of oxycodein. PT showed up at 3:45 for a potty run, trip out to the hall on my walker, and some minor exercises and teaching one proper way to get in and out of bed. Icing now and got second oxy. Hip is a dull ache around incision area leg pumps on and dinner ordered. PT before noon and should be headed home. So far so good, just kicking back and enjoying the view.

Attachments

• 9B20C190-7FE2-4F88-8EFA-492DDF5DA865.jpeg
    9B20C190-7FE2-4F88-8EFA-492DDF5DA865.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 276
Great update, it sounds like everything went well! Glad you are icing and they have the pain meds going. Wishing you a restful night @CPH :flwrysmile:

@CPH
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Thanks for the merge. Earlier My original post was moved from here to pre-op. Didn’t reaize it was moved back. 7 pm and all is well was Took a short nap and awoke to cheeseburger. Oxycodeine is working fine and still icing with leg puffers Cycling. Just waiting for my son & his girlfriend to arrive

Sounds like you're doing well. Resting comfortably.
Glad they're providing ice for you. I hope you're able to get some sleep tonight.
Sweet dreams!
@CPH

Woke up at 2:30 am for potty break and meds. Long lasting anesthetic they put in the wound has clearly worn off. Pain is a strong ache on right buttock (posterior approach) and smaller ache at top of thigh, no problem or pain at hip joint itself. Def more pain though today. Taking 10 mg oxy with 1000mg Tylenol. Now Back to sleep!

Last edited:
So glad to see you on the healing side.
Wishing you comfort aas you get through these rough first days.
Healing hugs!:console2:

Hubby showed up with SB Vente Latte bright and early this morning...love that guy. Decided we would not bother nurses with going to the potty since I’ve been watching all they do to get me up and hubby could practice. Disconnected the leg puffers, took out wedge between legs and off we went. Then alarm started going off and 3 nurses rushed in....apparently the bed alarms when you are not in it....yikes! Wagged a finger at us, but let hubby continue and gave him a thumbs up! Still no joint pain, but lots of muscle ache on side of hip.. Been keeping ahead with meds..this time 5mg Oxy, 1000mg Tylenol and gabapentin ?mgs. Waiting on Dr. to stop in, and at some point this am will do another PT session, then hopefully home. Even with vitals, meds, labs managed to sleep. So far the stay has been great...considering

Dr. Came by and said surgery went off with out a hitch. Got a snug fit and did not need screws. Said muscle ache is normal since they split the muscle (posterior). Anticipates at 1 month mark when we do a follow up,I will be off walking aids. If I pass PT today, I should be going home.

Sounds like you're doing well and getting the hang of it all.
Hopefully you get to fly the coop today.
Have a good one!
@CPH

Glad all went well! I am on day 4 following a posterior LTHR, and have the exact same aches in same places (rear and thigh). Hope your healing continues smoothly!

Made it home this afternoon. Sitting in my recliner trying to organize all the meds. No problem with the walker....making it from the driveway up the walkway into the House, back to the bathroom and then to my recliner . Buttock and Thigh Muscles are VERY painful when I first get up, but once I start moving, I feel better. Very little ability to lift my right leg very far (need to for getting in and out of bed), but if I focus I can do it). i Will warn everyone that today was much more painful than yesterday, but hoping each day from here on out is better.

You’re on a roll!

Other than a positive attitude, my usual advice (second hip) is to try hard to get off narcotics ...they blur the landscape. I try and think of it this way ... I want to know where the “edge” is so I can modify my behavior; with narcotics it is very hard to define the edge. This said, being in pain will affect your physical recovery, so, a balance is needed.

This time (14 May) has been far different and I am happy to report - better! It feels good to feel weight on my leg and it not bone-ache.

You’re gonna do great! Smile about how great mobility will feel!

@CPH glad everything went well and they've even sprung you! So awesome. Had to chuckle about the bed alarm going off. :loll:Will have to remember that. Sounds like you're doing great, keeping your sense of humor and taking it slow.

Take it all slow and roll with the tough spots, for now.
Healing hugs...xxx:console2:

Glad your home @CPH and welcome to the recovery side. Couple of things: you may want to keep a notebook for you and hubby to write down when and what meds you take. Sometimes we would get foggy minded and have trouble remembering, especially with less sleep. Even though I had pain similar to yours (also posterior,) it was such a relief not to have that awful joint pain. I really hope the next days are better for you but be mentally prepared if they are not. Sometimes those 3-6 post op days can be difficult. 4 and 5 were my worst but then things began to settle down. Wishing you good days and comfy, restful nights to speed your recovery. We’re always here for you. Keep us posted. :SUNsmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back