Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

Josephine's not on BoneSmart right now, so I'll give it to you:

aa-tramadol-routine-2-jpg.51125

The first is for 4-hourly doses and the second is for 6-hourly.

Take care not to exceed 4,000 mg of Tylenol in 24 hours - make sure there is no Tylenol (Acetaminophen) in any other of your medications.

I found that this schedule worked great for me, and I bet it will for you, too.

I still have a great deal of soreness around my incision. The OS that did my revision used the same incision from my original TKR. I rub it often and massage it but it is still very sore especially right below the knee where the knee and tibia meet.

Is this normal at 16 weeks?

Well, 16 weeks is still only about a third of the way to complete recovery, so things should settle as time goes by.

Why not leave your incision alone and see what happens? It's not really necessary to massage or manipulate it. It's still healing under the surface and Mother Nature knows what she's doing.

@Celle will do! I thought massaging it helped healing. Maybe I was mistaken:chinstroke:

I rub it often and massage it but it is still very sore
Did you forget guideline #3? a. If it hurts, don't do it!!
Best guideline of them all, actually!

I’m 7 months and my knee is still a bit sore if don’t touch it gently. I don’t massage it, even though my surgeon told me to, but I do put some vitamin E cream on the scar, but very gently and not every day, because I often forget.

And the only reason I keep using the cream is because I paid $12 for it after I was told at my 2 week check up to use it. Then I found out on here that I don’t have to.

Every now and then my husband will ask if I’m still using it. So I gently put a tiny dab on the incision so when asked I can say, yes, I’m using it! I’m only halfway through the jar, it’s going to last a very long time! (and it’s not a big jar!)

I too use a cream on my incisions. Why? Because Mr. Shoes enjoys doing it. My OS advised doing it at my 2 week checkup, so Mr. Shoes ran out and bought the recommended product. Like Jockette, we are of the “we paid for this, we’re going to use it} mentality. Massaging my scars hasn’t made them less visible. Early on, it did help them feel less tight. Now, though... we just do it because. My skin feels very nice and soft after. :roseshwr:

@SusieShoes My OS and my therapist both encouraged me to massage it also -to help keep it loose and to keep the scar tissue soft (is what they said)

I must admit that even though its sore it still feels great when my husband massages it!

I really just wanted to know if anyone else's is still sore. Just curious...

My OS and my therapist both encouraged me to massage it also -to help keep it loose and to keep the scar tissue soft (is what they said)
I've heard this on a number of occasions but repeating a myth over and over doesn't make it right!

I’m slowly approaching my 5th month post revision in this marathon and each month brings new questions.

First, I’m still having trouble sleeping on my stomach. I sleep on my side, mainly my non operated side but have developed pain down that side. I’m hoping that it’s sciatica and NOT my hip! Thoughts?

Next, this week I have had an increase in pain around my knee. I work full time but this week the pain and soreness seemed to increase. I take tramadol and Tylenol for pain and it helps a bit but wondering if i still should have pain scores of about 5/6. The tramadol take the levels down to about 2/3 it just takes a long time to begin working. My range is still not good and wonder if this causes pain in my knee after being active on my feet all day.

It sounds to me like you are hurting that much because you are doing too much. I am 7 months and I would surely hurt a lot if I was back to a full time job and active and on my feet a lot. Everyone is different and some people can handle that much activity, but some cannot and I would be one that can’t. It still doesn’t take much to make my knee very uncomfortable. I don’t usually have pain that makes me say Ow, but sometimes the discomfort level is high.

I don’t know how much you could cut down on your activity, but maybe there are some areas where you could try. I know life happens and we have things to do. But if you are having this much pain it might be worth trying to do a bit less.

If your range is not good (mine isn’t either) I think that means there is still a fair amount of swelling, even if we can’t see it on the outside.

I’ve said this before, this recovery knocks the socks off most of us!

I also just looked at your signature and the list of procedures you’ve had, all within about 2 years. That’s a lot of trauma for your poor knee. It may take a while longer for it to recover.

I’m sorry you had to go through all that. All we wanted was to fix the pain in our knee, we never dreamed the physical price we would pay for that fix.

I hope things improve for you soon. :console2:

I also had one more thought, with all those procedures, you’ve been in recovery mode for 2+ years. That’s a very long time. I’m sure it feels like it will never end. :console2:

@Jockette it feels like a lifetime! Even before the surgeries, I walked on a bone on bone knee for a few years! I truly appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'll try to ice and elevate more I've kinda slacked off that:bignono:

Best wishes to you also!

First, I’m still having trouble sleeping on my stomach.
Just keep trying - you will manage it eventually. I had my first challenge with that when I first went back to my chiropractor because he always prefers to start the treatment prone. But I managed it!
this week I have had an increase in pain around my knee.
I take Tramadol and Tylenol for pain and it helps a bit but wondering if I still should have pain scores of about 5/6.
Sadly your history thus far is not being kind to you. But you are doing rather too much and your knee is just not up to it.
The Tramadol take the levels down to about 2/3 it just takes a long time to begin working.
How much of each are you taking and how often? For your pain score, you do need to take 50 or 100mg Tramadol and 1,000mg Tylenol each time. And you need to look at this chart to see how long doses take to work

pain chart.jpg

It sounds to me like you are hurting that much because you are doing too much.
I so agree with you Jockette

Thanks @Josephine.! You’re the best!
I take 50 mg of tramadol with 1000mg Tylenol starting at 7am , then again at 1 and then again before bed. So there’s more than 6 hours after that 2nd dosage. So at night, it takes a longer time to work. Thought it would help me more during the night if i waited to take it right before bed but I’m in pain and can’t sleep until it works about 1am. That’s my problem i think!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88