THR My recovery

Dear all, thanks so much for your congratulations on my 3-month milestone.
I’m doing well but still working through various aches and pains.
The butt pain above the scar has disappeared now, and has been replaced by more general aching around the joint sometimes. It’s fine when walking, but comes on when sitting.
I had been gently stretching the muscles at the front of my hip, as these grew tight over the years when I had my old hip.
I stopped those stretches 3 days ago to see if the aching goes away. I think it is improving...

Yes, the stretching can cause some aches and often I had to back off and then try again, possibly less often and gentle as possible.
Definitely a fine line often.
Hope you have a Good Day.:SUNsmile:

I'm in that same boat of stretching, then backing off a bit. We seem to be walking a thin line. Or are we stretching a thin line? :heehee:

Less often and gentle seems to be the pace to follow. I see I basically parroted Mojo's post!
But I'm keeping mine here, too. I think it bears repeating.
Happy 3 months Hip-a-versary!

It's been a while since I posted here, and today being my 4-month milestone seems a good reason to revisit. I'm doing what most people do, I think. That is, getting on with my life after THR and gradually forgetting that there's anything artificial in there at all!
At 3 months I was still getting aches and pains sometimes, but that seems to have stopped now. The muscle at the front of the hip is still a little sore when I raise the leg, but nothing major and so much better than the situation before surgery, where I couldn't raise my leg at all in a sitting position.
I'm fully back into the swimming, and in fact have been learning a new way to swim the front crawl stroke. It's been a real self-awareness exercise in paying attention to where arms, legs, etc are during the stroke. Rather like learning to drive a car, initially there was too much to think about all at the same time, but with perseverance things are beginning to shape up.
For anyone reading this pre-op, I took care during my recovery to do things very gradually and be patient with my body as it recovered. I took a lot of advice and reassurance from the posts here on Bonesmart, and I think all of that has paid off handsomely.
Have a great day, everyone!

@longtimechemist . Great update. Good to hear about your return to swimming. I used to swim a lot until my hip got too sore but I plan to return soon. OS advised against breast stroke legs but I couldn’t do that before the op and had retrained my legs. BoneSmart has been full of great advice and like you I learned that with patience , a gradual recovery pays off. I’m seven weeks post op and I’ve just returned to the gym to try a bit of cycling . It felt great. Didn’t push too hard so can build it up. I’m looking forward to getting out in the garden soon. It’s a beautiful frosty morning here . wishing you a great day also :)

Happy Belated 4 month hipversary, @longtimechemist
Good to hear all is mostly well... I had come-and-go niggles for up to a year.
A new hippy stroke for swimming!
You sound like you are going to have a splendid spring and summer.
Hope today is a good day, friend.:SUNsmile:

Sounds like a great update. I remember not being able to lift my leg when sitting, the leverage on the joint and the weight of my leg made it painful. The aches and stiffness continued with my left for some time but I kept seeing improvement, actually still do. It will just keep getting better.

It is so great to get back to living and forgetting about our joints. Swimming sounds wonderful but I will have to wait till our pond thaws and gets a bit warmer here in upstate NY.

Happy Hippy 4 Month Anniversary! What a great update, you sound well and like you're living your best life! Thanks for updating, it really gives those coming up behind us something to look forward to!

Hi all
Again it's been a while (about a month, in fact) since I last posted. Yesterday was my 5 month milestone, and things have continued to improve. The pain on lifting the leg while sitting has decreased, although still there a little.
To be honest, I don't think about the joint very much now. I'm getting on with life with this increased mobility and the absence of that awful joint pain, This past week (since the isolation instructions from the government) I've been working in the garden a few hours most days. I've had no problem with the operated leg. My wife has frequently commented that I am walking far more naturally now than I was with the old joint. I feel taller and more able to stride out a little if I need to. Pretty good, eh? If you're reading this just after your operation - I did NO physiotherapy or exercises in the first 4 months after my THR. I just walked.
Swimming is on hold as the pools are all closed and we don't live near enough to the sea for me to go there. Instead I'm doing some strength exercises, whilst keeping half an eye on the shiny new hip. So far, so good.
Wishing everyone a great day and weekend, and stay safe during these difficult times.

Hey...Happy Five Month Anniversary!
Thanks for updating, it’s great to read how well you’re doing. And to think there are even better days are ahead. :yes!:
Please take good care, be safe, stay well and keep in touch. :wave:
@longtimechemist

Wonderful report and how nice it must be to work in the garden without pain. I am just thinking of starting to touch the garden not as much because of the hip as the weather but maybe this week end get things cleared up and plant some spinach and lettuce and maybe snow peas - who knows we might even get real snow again with the weather so wacky.

Stay safe and congratulations on a great recovery

Happy Five Month Anniversary! Great update, so glad you're doing well and getting to work out in the garden during this down time. Keep popping in to let us know how you're doing!.

Sounds great. Wonderful to hear you are not thinking about the hip much ... some of that startup stiffness and pain will continue to decrease.

Oh, so good to hear how well you are doing.:egypdance:
If you're reading this just after your operation - I did NO physiotherapy or exercises in the first 4 months after my THR. I just walked.
I've had no problem with the operated leg. My wife has frequently commented that I am walking far more naturally now than I was with the old joint.

This is the Best example for newly recovering hippies.
Thank you for sharing it with us, my friend.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom