THR My recovery

Hi @Mojo333
Happy Sunday to you too!
I’m doing very well, thanks. Being rid of that awful pain for the past 10 weeks has been a life changing step, and long may it continue!
I’ve had the odd few days when the butt muscle has been a bit uncomfortable, but some ice sessions have fixed that.
I know that after 2 months I’m still just part-way to recovery, so I’m sticking with the patient approach!

Quick update:
Recovery is continuing well. Every time I walk I’m reminded of what a huge difference it makes to have a hip joint which, whilst artificial, actually works. Woo-hoo!
I’m back on the swimming and this week am doing my usual Mon, Wed, Fri early morning sessions. I’ve been building up to this for 4 weeks or so. The main caution has been not to overdo things and give myself a shoulder problem. The gradual approach has done the job.
I’ve been getting some discomfort in the scar this last week. Nothing major, just a little painful. It looks fine and there have been no changes in its appearance. I’m guessing it’s the nerve function gradually returning. Anyway, icing has helped.
I’m updating this whilst waiting until it’s time to go to the swimming pool. Awake early, so my sleep patterns are not yet fully settled.

:wave: Glad to see your update.

Yes, that numbness dissipates and that incision will still tell the tale.
Glad you are back to swimming and stretching those legs out and kicking is definitely going to "pull" on that tissue.
Massaging with a little Vitamin D or coconut oil helped mine some. Just Very Sensitive area for quite some time.
It took me so long to get my sleep cycle straightened out also...:yawn:

Slow and steady IS the way to go!
It's the way I went (mostly) and I'm still ever so amazed at how good my life is with bionic hips.:chuckmarch:

Yep!
Seriously, though, even with the lack of hip joint pain and better mobility...the tightness was definitely there -especially after sitting or sleeping- up to a year or more.
My new hips feel like a well oiled machine now.
If I do an excessive amount of lifting, bending etc , the nature of the beast at the food pantry I manage, there can still be some aches.
But at 56, not sure that wouldn't be the case regardless.

Last edited:
Hi @longtimechemist
You're doing really well!

Every time I walk I’m reminded of what a huge difference it makes to have a hip joint which, whilst artificial, actually works

So awesome, isn't it? Sadly, I feel like some of that initial elation wears off with time. I have a particular day, one month into my recovery in mind that I told myself I'd never forget. I remember where I was, how I felt and how thankful I was for a successful surgery, recovery (up to that point) everything felt hopeful, happy, perfect. It doesn't seem to take long before life gets in the way and those feelings fade somewhat. I remind myself of that day and that feeling once in awhile to keep that appreciation and feeling of gratitude for this second chance alive.

I remember odd, most often fleeting sensations around the area of my healing incision. Zaps, numbness, warmth, stinging etc. It slowly dissipates with time.

Great you're back swimming again. I hope you're enjoying it.
Best wishes for a wonderful weekend!

I was swimming 3 times a week for a good few years before the THR.
I even lost that activity :sad:My cam impingement has not allowed me to do it for years! I can really understand your joy of being able to do it again. :swim::swim::swim::swim: :yahoo:I would swim 40 laps in my pool, when I had a home with a pool, everyday in the summer. I am so happy for you to be back at swimming.

So, yesterday I decided to replace the silicone sealant around the inside and outside of the shower cubicle at home.
Scraped off the old stuff, let it all dry, then this morning put down the new silicone.
My butt muscle doesn’t think it was a good idea at all..! Phew!

You're amazing to even attempt all that at 2 months out! :bow:. I did a bit of gardening yesterday and although my hip never complains, my butt and thighs and back muscles still sure do! Yep, age and no doubt being more than a bit out of shape take their toll. But gotta love love love my bionic hip! :dancy:

Yah, @longtimechemist , you have some making up to do for your poor butt muscles!
Hopefully in a day or two they will forgive you!
But hey, you have a nice spiffy shower to use now... :bath: ( I know it's not a shower but had to post it.)

:wave:@longtimechemist

Happy Three Month Hipversary!!!!!
:happyfeet::happyfeet::happyfeet:
3 dancing penguins for staying the course, steady improvements and saying goodbye to that horrid bone crunching pain.

Hope your Sunday is Hippy Happy.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member