THR My recovery

1574948941100.png

Hey, where did you get this picture of me on my early-morning swim?!

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving! You are sounding good, sir! No pain meds was such a thrill for me, too.
I loved when you said you are beginning to appreciate that shiny new hip. :heehee:
I hope you get the all clear for the swimming.. it feels so good on those hips.

Well, it’s now 6 weeks since my THR, and it’s amazing how the days go to weeks, and soon months (although I’ve noticed this in life too!).
My 6-week check is on Tuesday and I’m optimistic that all will be well.
I’m about ready to hand back the crutches, having gradually introduced unassisted stretches into my daily walks. I’d also started forgetting the crutch here and there.
I’ve been off all painkillers for a few weeks now, and apart from a feeling of tiredness around the hip sometimes, I have no pain.
Went briefly to the local town centre today. It felt a little odd without a walking aid, and after 30 minutes I did fall back on an extendable walking stick that I had in my rucksack.
I hope this will be read by some pre-op members and that they find it encouraging.

Last edited:
:happydance:So happy to see that you are doing so well and thank you for sharing your updates @longtimechemist

And the best news is...Lots of improvements to come!
Life without chronic hip pain is sweet!

I feel the same...at 2 and a half years out ..it still isn't hard for me to remember how desperately weary I was...as a normally happy, active person...i was turning into a depressed sleep deprived wreck!

Hip hip hooray for new hips.
Hope your Holidays are Happy and Bright, my friend:banana-santa: (lol, love this guy)

Happy to hear you feel motivated to enjoy life again. That's a good thing!
Good luck with your Six Week post op on Tuesday, let us know how it goes.
Ask about the moisturizer then and I'm sure you'll get a nod that it's okay.
Enjoy the afternoon and evening!
@longtimechemist

Looking forward to reading about your 6 week post op visit! How can it already be 6 weeks?
Well, you probably felt all 6 weeks of it go past but it seems like it's flown by.
I go for my 6 month post op next week, it's a couple weeks too early for 6 months but hey, I'll take it.

You are so right, we get our lives back with this surgery. Some on this forum have a less than linear line to the finish line, but they do get there.
:snow:

Last edited:
I’ve just had my 6-week follow up. Saw the OS and looked at the X-ray that was taken the day after the surgery. Operated hip looked as it should, and his opinion on the other hip was encouraging - he said the joint space looks reasonable, and no bony growths. I’m hoping not to become a double-hippy! No pain in that hip, and long may it continue!
I’m cleared to drive and to start my morning swim routine again. Really looking forward to tomorrow morning!!
The physio said it will take another 6 weeks for the bone to fully harden around the new hardware, so I’ll be taking care.
Hurrah for new hips!!!

Like a kid before Christmas, eh?
:driver:and :swim: Just like a grownup again.:) :-) (:

Do be careful not to overdo the swimming at first go rounds.
It seems it never hurts until we stop.
Incrementally increasing activity is easiest on new hips.
Hurrah, for sure!!!!

Great news! We have a swimmer again! I'm sure you will be careful.. but be careful! :heehee:

You will start this New Year with 2 strong hips..what a nice feeling, eh?

Thanks for all your good wishes, everyone.
I will continue with the Bonesmart-approved “slowly, slowly wins the race” approach that has worked so well up to now...

... so, didn’t swim this morning because the car, which hasn’t been anywhere for nearly 7 weeks, wouldn’t start! Maybe tomorrow...

:oyvey:oh my stars...
Make sure you ride around and get that battery charged back up proper...hate to see you left on the side of the road.
Hope you are getting some walking in but don't want you hitchhiking.

Thanks @Mojo333
Hitchhiking? I’m sure my surgeon recommended against that..!
Hoping it’ll start when the temperature rises a bit, otherwise I’ll get some help from a neighbour. Don’t worry, my OS also said I can’t push start a car during the first few months either!

I really dislike cold weather...and we have yet to have much cold yet here in South Georgia. Yesterday it was 79F here.:SUNsmile:
Of course, my early recovery days were in the midst of a horrid heat wave and I made the poor decision to go down the four steps off the porch by myself to get some fresh air and the temps were in the 100's F. Down was okay, but I could not safely get up.
I was stuck in the heat for two hours until hubby returned home, and received a thorough "what for" since I was directed to wait for assistance.

Seems I've learned most of my life's lessons the hard way...due to a hard head.
But I'm proud that double hip replacement humbled me enough to listen to those who had gone before me and found recovery alot easier by taking heed of lessons learned the hard way by others.
Want these to be my forever hips...
BTHR was real...it was fun...but it wasn't Real Fun.
Trying not to do it again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks