THR My recovery

Im glad your wound looks good that a tremendous sign that everything is working properly. Ice is the our best friend now. I had my surgery Nov.5, 2019 Ive been icing 24/24 all the time and I firmly believe I didnt get bruise or pain due to the ice. The nurse only gave me one tramadol since I got out of surgery. I guess is protocol. I told her no more and I was completely pain free at the hospital. I didnt needed any psin meds. I was only on the Celebrex( muscle relaxant) and the baby aspirin 81mg 2x a day. Im still putting ice specially when I walk a lot and the groun area starts to feel uncomfortable is when I apply ice. Im so glad you are on the way of recovery.
Many Blessings and oh boy I just thought of something What a Great Month Of November to have surgery because is the Month to be Thankful is the Month to give Thanks is Awesome. God Bless You and All my beautiful Bone Smart People!!⚘

I have a question about shoes.
Now that I’m walking more, is it worth getting some cushioned shoes to minimise the impact each time I step? What is people’s experience?

Good question. We always recommend buying new shoes post THR. Your shoes will have an old wearing pattern that might impact the way you carry yourself and walk post op. You don't need to replace every pair of shoes. But a good pair of new walking shoes really does help.

Don't worry about the impact of your walking. That implant is mighty tough. Walking will have little or no impact to it.

I enjoy a little squishy cushion, myself. Personal preference, I guess.
It is advised that you replace your old shoes once you are post op because the wear pattern in your old shoes can throw off your gait, which is once again changing since your THR. Obviously you're not going to throw out your entire shoe wardrobe but I'd definitely replace the most frequently worn with something new. A gift to yourself. :)
Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Looks like Jaycey and I had the same thoughts, at the same time.
Great minds think alike :heehee:
Happy Saturday!

Ugh! No kidding about the weekend logjam.
I was out shopping during the day yesterday and I could tell the holidays are quickly approaching by the crowds. This, on a weekday, during normal work hours. I reminded myself yesterday that until after Christmas, it will most likely be early morning hours, on weekdays only for shopping. Roll on holidays, ready or not here they come.
Happy shoe shopping when you're feeling up to it!
@longtimechemist

I have another question - it must be that kind of day...
I have my 6 week post-op check at the hospital in a couple of weeks. What should I expect to happen?

Hello,
I didn't have a six month appt. I had a three week post op and a three month visit. At my three week I met with the PA, not the surgeon. X-rays were taken and what was left of my bandage was removed. I asked any questions I had, all I recall was asking if I could drive. I saw the surgeon at three months, x-rays again, asked about some residual swelling I had around my knee which was still sore. He told me come back at my One Year Anniversary. Hopefully someone who had a six month appt will stop by.
Have a good week!
@longtimechemist

I had a 6 week check up of sorts and this was when I was actually scheduled to see the OS and get xrays taken. Previous appointment was with PA and had staples taken out. The OS had me walk a few steps, asked how I felt, said you're doing fine, see you back in I think it was 6more weeks. I asked if I could drive and he said could I do it before surgery? A bit of a comedian.

Another question: I was thinking of getting some moisturiser like E45 to put on the scar. Should I wait to talk to my surgeon (or more likely someone on his team) at my 6 week check?

Personally, I would wait until the appointment. 6-8 weeks is the usual time for a surgical scar to get healed up well.
I put some Vitamin E around bit not directly on my scar at about 4 weeks.

Have you been shoe shopping yet @longtimechemist?
I got some sketchers with memory foam and they feel good. I also hot some expensive running shoes - I'm a fast walker but not a runner- and they made my shins and calves ache.:shrug:
I dont know if it's the natural roll of the shoe, but my hips don't like them either.

20191128_052718.jpg

:giggle:
A picture is worth a thousand words...just cut and paste some things together.
Hope you feel like all is going well with your shiny new hip.
My muscles were so tender up to several months out, and the morning stiffness and tightness made me wonder if and when things would ever just get normal.
I think you are doing exceptionally well.
Hope those shoes keep you walking comfortably and do remember to pay attention to heel to toe gait.
I apparently became a "toe Walker" to keep weight off bad hips.
Bad habit and hard to break unless mindful.
Hope today is a good day.

@Mojo333 - things continue to go well. It's beginning to feel a lot like a shiny new hip now. It will be five weeks on Saturday since the surgery. I'm walking around the house with no stick (and no limp) except for the first couple of minutes after getting up, when the hip is a bit stiff. It soon passes, though. When I go outside I am still using one of my crutches, but placing only a small amount of weight on it.
Since the surgery I have felt taller, as the new hip actually allows my leg to fully straighten. The damaged hip could no longer do that, so on that side I was always slightly crouched. While walking outside I'm doing the heel-toe thing, and making sure I look forward rather than down at my feet (even though my new Sketchers are a good-looking pair of shoes..!).
I have done no other exercises during these five weeks, apart from some muscle-tensing exercises advised by the physios immediately after the operation. I'm still elevating the leg two or three times a day, but I never had swelling beyond the actual operation site, and that has subsided a lot now.
I'm looking forward to getting back to my regular swimming sessions once the OS has given me the all clear - hopefully at my appointment on 10th of Dec.
So all in all, it's been great so far - AND I've had my first 10 days off pain killers in three or four years!

Last edited:
Since the surgery I have felt taller
Same...hunching over..bad posture and bad gait. Feels good to stand tall.
While walking outside I'm doing the heel-toe thing, and making sure I look forward rather than down at my feet (even though my new Sketchers are a good-looking pair of shoes..!).
:rotfl:
I'm still elevating the leg two or three times a day, but I never had swelling beyond the actual operation site, and that has subsided a lot now.
I didnt have alot of swelling either but yet followed this same protocol for months...hey, may be why we didn't have lots of swelling.

I'm looking forward to getting back to my regular swimming sessions once the OS has given me the all clear - hopefully at my appointment on 10th of Dec.
:swim: Won't that be splendid!
AND I've had my first 10 days off pain killers in three or four years!
So much to be thankful for...well done!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks