THR My recovery

Hi and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us.
Great to hear you're doing well!

Please leave your surgery date below and which hip you had replaced. The info will be applied as your signature.

Stop back often. We're here to answer questions and offer support while you're healing.

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening!
@longtimechemist

Please familiarize yourself with the Recovery Guidelines below. I think you'll find the info beneficial as you begin healing.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you for that info!

Will wait to hear more from you when you're feeling up to it :)
I hope you're resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
Don't forget to ice! :ice:
Have a good one :wave:
@longtimechemist

Hi all

I’m 7 days post-op today, so here’s an update. The first few days I didn’t feel like doing anything. My operated leg felt outside of my control every time I tried to move it - wobbling this way, then the other. That passed by day 3, and since then things have improved a little each day.
I’m taking the pain medication to the prescription, so staying ahead of the pain. I have hardly used the morphine solution except each nigh before bed to help with sleep.
This morning I’ve noticed that the swelling is less hard, with more flexibility in the skin, so elevation has started to work too.
I’m still using both crutches for my walking, but I’m able to use just one for getting to the bathroom, for example.
I have been doing just a small amount of exercises each day - a combination of some muscle clenches and a few different flexes. This forum has convinced me not to push the exercises for the moment.
All in all, I’m very pleased with how it’s going!

:wave:@longtimechemist
Happy you got through one week and seemed to be doing well.
Not sure why you had to have your hip replaced, but I know I was ever so happy to be rid of my OA ridden ones.
:egypdance:
Glad you joined us...lots of healing happening, so take it slow and steady.
Hope you have a restful weekend :ice:

@longtimechemist Thank you for your one week report. It definitely sounds like you have been reading Bonesmart, and it sounds like you are progressing well. So glad to hear it.

Meds are paracetamol, codeine, and ibuprofen (first 5 days only so now finished). I also have some morphine solution which I’m only using before sleeping at night.
I’m not using ice with the elevation. My hospital didn’t advise it, so I’m sticking with their advice.
Approach was posterior.

Hi and a Happy Saturday to you!
Those first few days can be strange as you try to get used to all. Thankfully it's only temporary and you're already noticing progress.

I experienced the Posterior approach also and didn't have any issues other than discomfort sitting in the car for any length of time for the first few months. Three weeks of that time was the first weeks after surgery when I didn't even attempt it.

Good to know your pain is well managed allowing you to rest comfortably.
It's obviously your choice not to ice, but keep in mind it does help with pain and swelling. You need to do what's comfortable for you, so keep on keeping on, you're doing great!
@longtimechemist

@longtimechemist
Just a word about ice. My whole life (66 years) I pooh-poohed icing and never put it on my children's bumps and bruises as so many mothers did. After my hip surgery I was given a nice little ice envelope with two extra gel packs but no specific instructions. But I decided that the BS method couldn't do any harm, and now I'm a convert. At almost three weeks out I spend every minute I'm not moving around with feet up and ice on. It does a real number on pain, and it just feels good. I expect to use it for a long time. How many things work so well and have no side effects?

@HipLucy
... good point! Effective with no side effects. Maybe I’ll give it a tentative go.
I’m feeling ok in the mornings, but after the day’s very limited activities I’m done by about 7.30pm and just want to go to bed. So that’s what I’m doing..!

Loved your first week update.. you are managing everything really well. Good on you!

I hear you about being exhausted by early evening. Glad you aren't fighting that urge and going with it. @longtimechemist

Good morning, @longtimechemist
I’m not using ice with the elevation. My hospital didn’t advise it, so I’m sticking with their advice.
I have no idea why I wasn't supplied ice in the hospital..and except for a mention in postop care paperwork...not strongly recommended for a seriously helpful protocol. I have never been fond of ice until my BTHR.
I didn't have an inordinate amount of visible swelling but boy oh boy...what a Great antiinflamatory and as HipLucy says...pain reliever. Amazing!
Hope today is a good day...

Hi LTC,

You sound like you are doing well.

I found elevating and icing to be important components of my recovery - the ice helped with pain and swelling a LOT. I did this religiously for almost two months. I think it is a recommended protocol here on BS and all reports I've seen are very positive.

I also found paracetamol (acetaminophen/Tylenol) to be very helpful in pain control - I did not take any narcotics after the ones I had the first night while in hospital. Started with 1000mg 4 times per day, then reduced the amount as pain faded.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks