THR My recovery thread.

@layla.Hi.Yep.Yes,I am.It's getting easier to tie my right shoe.i can carry a tray now.I hope you have a good day and a good week too.Happy 4th of july.:)

:wave:I often look back to keep my gratitude.
When you think back to July 4th of last year...how you felt, and where you were physically and emotionally...it truly is amazing, right?:friends:
Hope you have a great week @allena :catdance:

I just looked back to your pre-op thread you started July 17...the beginning ...your attempt to come to terms with the prospect of hip replacement.
You've come a long way, Baby!:yahoo:

Last edited:
One thing is the same as before the surgery-when I fall I can't get up.I was out in the parking lot of my apartment complex when I lost my balance and fell.I still have the occasional wobble(as i call it when my balance gets wonky) and I had one then.Luckily for me I wasn't hurt(aside from a bruise on leg),but I could not get up!Due to my bad knee kneeling and getting up is not a option.Thankfully for me a guy who was visiting one of my neighbors pulled me up.I wonder if I ever will be able to get up on my own ever again.:( I hate being so helpless.
I am doing well otherwise.It sure has been hot -over 100 in not normal for wv.I will be so glad when it cools down to the 80's and less humidity.That's still hot,but bearable at least.

Someone asked me how close to normal I am.I don't know was all i could say.I don't remember normal.I still can't kneel,get up on my own when I fall,take a bath,skip,hop or jump.Steps are still a problem,though less of one than before.I still need to use a cane.My balance is not prefect yet.
On the other hand i am much better off than i was before the surgery and i will get better for at least a little longer.This november will be my year anniversary since the surgery after all.My question is how close to normal do you all think I am?I'm guessing 50 to 60 percent.

I'm sorry you fell, allena. It's good to read you weren't hurt and that you're okay.
It's sad to think of you on the ground until you could get some help.

I remember when my hip was at its worst and I was living in denial that possibly PT could help me strengthen the surrounding muscles enough to get by, hahahaha! Anyway, at one of my PT sessions, the therapist had me doing some exercise on the floor. When I got down on the floor, I thought, how am I going to get up, my hip was that bad. I finished doing whatever she had me doing and started twisting and turning all different ways to try to get up on my own while she stood over me, watching me struggle and saying "You need to know how to get off the floor as that's a skill you need for life." Frustrated, I wanted to fire off two nasty words at her. She finally extended her hand.

I can get off the floor on my own once again and it may come for you also. If not, possibly it's something you could work on with PT for a session. I guess I must have taken the PT's words seriously, even though at the time it frustrated me. I'm wondering if you fell at home, I know you live alone, do you feel you have the strength to crawl and use something as leverage to get yourself up?

Last edited:
You may never be "normal" in the way you were before any joint issues came into play. We live in aging bodies. We are not going to be able to run, skip and jump for the rest of our lives. I don't skip, don't need to, nor jump, don't want to. I could run, but most likely will only do so to catch a closing door, run from danger etc. When you come to terms with what you need to be able to do, as opposed to what you want to be able to do, it puts it into perspective and eases the disappointment. It does for me anyway.

I believe some of your concerns like taking steps normally, and possibly improved balance may still come.
All you can do is keep working at it while being mindful it can take a full year to heal, even longer for some.
Not knowing you, I really can't venture a guess as to how close to normal you are.
I believe it was our FA, Irish Joe, who once said if he's only ever 90%, he'd be good with that.
For myself, I agree.

I hope it cools down in your area. We were dealing with oppressive heat and humidity here that finally broke after the rain we had yesterday. Hopefully some relief is in sight for you also.
Stay cool and enjoy the day!
@allena

I don't expect to ever be able to run or certain other things again.I just want to get around well and do normal things.I never expected to be like i was at 20.If i only get a little better I'll be happy.I really don't expect to hit 80 or 90 percent.That will be a miracle if it ever happens.

You still have time and room for improvement :wink:
You've come a long way, it's all good! :yes:

I'm glad it's cooled off there.Yeah!It's supposed to be back to normal next week thankfully.I am not dissapointed so far.Thank goodness I don't wobble to often anymore.It will happen even less as i heal more thankfully.

I'm sorry - FA as in Forum Advisor, Irish Joe.

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down, lol.
Remember them? Maybe you're too young.

@allena ... I probably missed this ... but is there any help you can get for your knee. I had knee surgery to cut a torn meniscus in March of last year ... and then had my hip surgery in September. I needed both. The knee was was really bad and painful ... So you've taken care of the hip. That should continue to get better.

I don't know ... but is there any thing that can be done with the knee? I understand the answer may well be "no."

I'm not sure.It is better than it was.It's not bowed now.It doesn't hurt like it used to,but it is still sore sometimes.It's not a problem on level ground.It's not even that stiff in the morning usually.Ir's possible that i might need surgery and pt to fix it ,but I'd rather not do that.One major surgery was more than enough for me.It's worse than hip replacement and that was no picnic.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom