TKR Two TKRs and a broken kneecap - on the mend now!

Congratulations on getting the surgery date confirmed. Not long to wait now!

Thank you, no, not long. I am impatient for it, because the recovery for my first knee replacement six weeks ago is being hampered by not having a strong other leg, and by the severe valgus deformity of the knee that is still due to be replaced, which literally gets in the way of the new straight leg when I try to walk. But I am also very nervous, particularly about how I’m going to cope with both legs being weak and sore, and because this time of course I know better what I am putting myself through!

But I am also very nervous, particularly about how I’m going to cope with both legs being weak and sore, and
Understand that anxiety but I think you are doing the right thing in view of the valgus deformity. The main problem I think is the stairs and you have a stairlift don't you? I certainly couldn't manage my stairs with both knees operated on. Hopefully your already operated leg will be strong enough for level walking and rehab. You seem to be doing really well after your first surgery.

Thanks @EalingGran. I won’t change my mind - it’s too difficult to live the way I am currently (even with a stairlift)… But my new right knee isn’t very strong yet, so I’m worried it won’t be up to being the ‘good’ leg. I guess people who’ve had simultaneous bilateral knee replacements manage, so I will too… :shocked:

Best wishes for your surgery tomorrow, @FionaW. Since it's not your first time, you know what to expect.

When you feel up to it post-op, please start a recovery thread and tell us about how this one compares.

:flwrysmile:

Thanks @benne68 ! I’m nervous, but also desperate to get it over and done with!
Should I start a new recovery thread or continue this one?

Good luck! We are all rooting for you. You seem very stoical and your surgeon did a good job straightening your first knee so I am sure you will cope well.

Best Wishes tomorrow, Fiona!
Hope to hear from you once you're resting well and feel like updating.
Hugs :friends:
@FionaW

IMG_4259.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg

Brilliant!
I recognise those socks- I got given some the same before my surgery.

UPDATE: I’m out of surgery and in recovery. Still can hardly wiggle my toes, but it won’t be long!
I’ve been brought fish and chips to eat, because it’s Friday. They’ve gone down nicely! So have the 2 cups of tea they’ve given me! First food for 22 hours and first cuppa for 24, because of late surgery.

Thanks for all your good wishes. :loveshwr: :flwrysmile:

Well, I’m pretty chuffed about this: 3-4 hours out of surgery (LTKR + straightening), and I can lift and bend the newly operated leg like this! :wowspring::spin:
I think it’s good to try it out while the spinal is still working, and the sedatives are still making you cheerful, because you find out what your knee can do before any swelling or pain start up - and I find it so helpful for my confidence.

Attachments

• IMG_4275.jpeg
    IMG_4275.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4274.jpeg
    IMG_4274.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 43
Admin, please could you change the title of this thread to “My recovery from two TKRs, 7 weeks apart”? TIA!

Well, I’m pretty chuffed about this: 3-4 hours out of surgery (LTKR + straightening), and I can lift and bend the newly operated leg like this
That is brilliant! Well done! Really amazing. I couldn't move my leg at all for 12- 15 hours after my surgery and I was really panicking. Turns out they had put loads of local anaesthetic in around the knee and it had temporarily paralysed my whole leg!

Oh that must’ve been really worrying, @EalingGran !
I have been doing rehab exercises with my left leg along with my right for the last seven weeks, so I think it’s paid off. However, things may feel rather different when the spinal has worn off completely!
Also, as yet, feeling hasn’t returned to my left foot. My right foot feels completely normal, but my left foot is numb with pins and needles. I’m hoping that’s just temporary - a bit of nerve bruising, perhaps? But it is a bit concerning.

I wouldn't worry about the pins and needles. Like I said I couldn't feel a thing or move my leg for 12-15 hours. I was relieved when I got pins and needles-as it was a sign the feeling was coming back!
It was overnight and I couldn't ask anyone until the morning, so I was googling nerve damage post knee replacement all night.
It will just be the spinal plus probably some local anaesthetic on the operated side. I was told the local could take a day or so to fully clear from the area and that was considered a good thing as it gave some pain relief and cut the need for opiates.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts