TKR Two TKRs and a broken kneecap - on the mend now!

FionaW

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all,
Hope everyone is doing well!
I had my first knee replacement today, around 9-9:30am. I had a spinal with sedation, and was awake for the last 20-30 minutes, relaxed and happy, and watching the clouds through the window.
My initial euphoria lasted until about 4 pm - long enough to get out of bed, weight-bear, walk to the loo, and have a cheerful chat with my son, who’d brought me in and came back when I was out of recovery. Then I vomited when I ate, developed opiate itching, and felt my knee start to hurt. Nurses have got me some meds for all that, so I get a decent night’s sleep!
Best wishes, Fiona

Glad the surgery went well. I hope you have a quick and uneventful recovery!

I'm sorry you had a bad reaction to the pain meds. It's important to have adequate pain relief in these early days. I hope your recovery goes well.

Welcome to the healing side, @FionaW! I'm sorry you've had a rough start, but know that it will get better.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines to peruse when you are feeling up to reading. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Day 0:
Recovery room - 1050
Tea, biscuits, then Tuna sandwich

2ish - physios came, helped me stand and mobilise, transfer on/off toilet

On to ward - 3ish
5ish - walked to/from toilet
  • back to bed
  • evening meal arrived and vomited on first mouthful
  • Ate some food
  • Slept a lot
Day 1:
Mostly asleep. A couple of physio sessions. Cheerful when awake.

Day 2:
Off my face on morphine! Clouds have been entertaining me today. This is my leg, now straight as well as new. What DID people do before morphine? Die miserable, I guess, rather than surviving cheerfully.

Day 3:
Doing well. Met or exceeded all my physio targets: full extension, 80° flexion, climbed 3 stairs… The most extraordinary thing for me is that I had the best night’s sleep last night for about a year: I was lucky enough to find a comfortable position and slept deeply for seven or eight hours, only waking once in the night, which is very unusual for me. I assume it was the drugs! Home tomorrow - back to my lovely doggy - if they can sort me hospital transport and a commode. I remember from my hip replacement that things get tougher when you get home…

Attachments

• E75C9AC3-5409-41BC-A809-709504269CB8.jpeg
    E75C9AC3-5409-41BC-A809-709504269CB8.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 983752C8-D562-4445-862B-8C2C8FB169D6.jpeg
    983752C8-D562-4445-862B-8C2C8FB169D6.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 109
You have a very good doggy nurse waiting for you. It sounds like you're having a very good start.

Day 4:
Mostly spent trying to get discharged and home! I waited around for hours and hours, and then the journey itself was difficult, and exhausting, but I made it. The best thing was being reunited with my pooch!

Day 5:
This has been a difficult day emotionally. Mostly I just think I was overwhelmed after my four day hospital stay. I had a lot of pain last night just from being in a normal bed rather than an adjustable hospital one. Also, I can’t get to my ice packs alone when I’m in bed, because my bedroom is upstairs and the fridge/freezer are downstairs. My younger son (23) spent last night with me, but reluctantly; and he’s been asking me lots of questions today about what I need so that he can leave, and I’m just not able to think straight enough to plan like that. He’s obviously keen to be off in his own house, living his own life, which I do understand. We had a family meeting before surgery, along with his older brother (28), where they teased me for worrying too much, and trying to get everything planned, and I thought we came out of that with an agreement that they’d sort it out between them and stay with me for the first week if needs be. Now I’m feeling very vulnerable and overwhelmed, just when I thought I was going to be able to relax and be looked after for a few days, so I’m also pretty upset. I just don’t think they have any real understanding of the realities of knee replacement surgery - and of course, I don’t really want them to! - but I’m feeling like such a burden and I’m really miserable.

Attachments

• FDF6E37E-FC54-43C4-B9A7-8BBAEEF0B115.jpeg
    FDF6E37E-FC54-43C4-B9A7-8BBAEEF0B115.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 111
@FionaW So sorry you are feeling vulnerable! You might just need to sit down with your sons and have a very frank discussion. Heck, have them watch a video of the surgery. They will very quickly get the idea that you need help for a few days.

Or, ask your sons to find a solution for providing you with ice packs upstairs. Perhaps a good cooler bag that they can refresh daily? Or a mini fridge?

Or option 3 - they are big boys and you need them to step up. It will only be for a short time. But since they committed to helping you it's time to honour that commitment. You don't need that stress on top of the early days of recovery.

Sorry to hear you’re struggling. ❤️

Is there any possibility you can “live” downstairs for a while? Perhaps you have a recliner you can sleep in? Bathroom on first floor? I live alone and managed but don’t think I would have if I had to tackle stairs.

Do you have any neighbors or friends who would be willing to stop by every day and check on you?

Hang in there! We’re here to listen!

...Now I’m feeling very vulnerable and overwhelmed, just when I thought I was going to be able to relax and be looked after for a few days, so I’m also pretty upset. I just don’t think they have any real understanding of the realities of knee replacement surgery - and of course, I don’t really want them to! - but I’m feeling like such a burden and I’m really miserable.
IMO, increasingly some young people are extremely self-involved! As our children they have to be educated that this IS a tough surgery and their help, while needed, has a time-frame. Not forever.

But help requested must be provided with some level of commitment, care, and intentionality... :ok:

Not grudgingly. Especially as it's NOT LONG TERM! Consider full-time care of a parent? That's really a challenge.

Gently, yet without apology (after all you cared for their every need at extended points in their lives), ask them to prioritize assistance, in shifts maybe. Perhaps one helping in one area the other something else.

You learn who is better at what when caregiving comes up. Talk and discuss and see who does what best. Give them breaks as they need. So no one gets too burned out as they assist you now.

Corny as it may sound now days, I still say caring for others builds character (challenging as it can be). It's OK for you to need/ request help short-term for a TKR. And the feeling of being vulnerable is normal.

You are not a burden for asking for help now. Perhaps get a cooler to help keep your ice cold in your room as you rotate use. I have about three or four ice things. Some soft. Some wrap around.

In those early days I used baby wipes to keep moderately clean when my family and support were not around. Mini-bottles of water to stay hydrated. Two tv remotes in case one fell on the floor (which happened alot).

Keep us posted - someone is always on - middle of the night etc. I was on this site often late :console2:

Last edited:
@FionaW So sorry you are feeling vulnerable! You might just need to sit down with your sons and have a very frank discussion. Heck, have them watch a video of the surgery. They will very quickly get the idea that you need help for a few days.

Or, ask your sons to find a solution for providing you with ice packs upstairs. Perhaps a good cooler bag that they can refresh daily? Or a mini fridge?

Or option 3 - they are big boys and you need them to step up. It will only be for a short time. But since they committed to helping you it's time to honour that commitment. You don't need that stress on top of the early days of recovery.
Thanks Jaycey (I think I remember you from after my hip replacement in 2014?!)
I’ve put a shout-out on Facebook to borrow a mini fridge and may have found one. So
I do need them to step up. They are generally very good and I have had to call on them a lot in the past year and particularly in the past six months, as I have been waiting a long time for this surgery, lost my mobility and became housebound, and had a stroke in September which limited me still further. I am not surprised they are fed up! To be fair, although my son went away for three hours this afternoon, he has come back to cook for me this evening. But today I am in that state where I can’t argue any of my points coherently or without crying, because I’m exhausted, in pain, overwhelmed, vulnerable, and full of mood-altering medication! Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985… Hopefully tomorrow will be better..

Is there any possibility you can “live” downstairs for a while? Perhaps you have a recliner you can sleep in? Bathroom on first floor? I live alone and managed but don’t think I would have if I had to tackle stairs?

Do you have any neighbors or friends who would be willing to stop by every day and check on you?.
Incredibly some properties do not have bath or even-half bath on first floor. Crazy right! I am all one floor but it was still nuts. Keeping the phone charged is crucial too when alone for stretches.

And, YES on having friends to step in to check on you. Not just one person -- so no one is too burdened. My water when off at the street main at one point and friend brought water.

...Now I’m feeling very vulnerable and overwhelmed, just when I thought I was going to be able to relax and be looked after for a few days, so I’m also pretty upset. I just don’t think they have any real understanding of the realities of knee replacement surgery - and of course, I don’t really want them to! - but I’m feeling like such a burden and I’m really miserable.
IMO, increasingly some young people are extremely self-involved! As our children they have to be educated that this IS a tough surgery and their help, while needed, has a time-frame. Not forever.

But help requested must be provided with some level of commitment, care, and intentionality... :ok:

Not grudgingly. Especially as it's NOT LONG TERM! Consider full-time care of a parent? That's really a challenge.

Gently, yet without apology (after all you cared for their every need at extended points in their lives), ask them to prioritize assistance, in shifts maybe. Perhaps one helping on one area the other something else.

You learn who is better at what when caregiving comes up. Talk and discuss and see who does what best. Give them breaks as they need. So no one gets too burned out as they assist you now.

Corny as it may sound now days, I still say caring for others builds character (challenging as it can be). It's OK for you to need/ request help short-term for a TKR. And the feeling of being vulnerable is normal.

You are not a burden for asking for help now. Perhaps get a cooler to help keep your ice cold in your room as you rotate use. I have about three or four ice things. Some soft. Some wrap around.

In those early days I used baby wipes to keep moderately clean when my family and support were not around. Mini-bottles of water to stay hydrated. Two tv remotes in case one fell on the floor (which happened alot).

Keep us posted - someone is always on - middle of the night etc. I was on this site often late :console2:
Thanks, LD. To be fair, neither of my boys are self-involved. I think coming out of hospital at the weekend, made things harder, because they’ve both been working all week, plus getting me to hospital and doing other things for me… And then what’s more it was my older son’s birthday on Saturday when I was discharged, and my younger son offered to cover, so it’s brother didn’t need to cancel his birthday plans, but that means my younger son hasn’t had a break this weekend at all. It’s been a very difficult six months. But I’m having the other knee done soon, on 23/5, so we need to hold it together a bit longer…

...Today I am in that state where I can’t argue any of my points coherently or without crying, because I’m exhausted, in pain, overwhelmed, vulnerable, and full of mood-altering medication! Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985… Hopefully tomorrow will be better..
Yes, I felt and still feel much of that (well off the heavy meds). I had to wrestle down my insurance company re. business all the while weepy and in pain. Kept a notebook/ paper/ pens nearby to help me sort my garbled thoughts. I had to watch what type of tv/ stream programming I'd fall asleep to or I'd awaken disturbed or more weepy. And many of in our age group indeed miss our parents much - going thru all of this.

Tomorrow will be better ))hugs((

Last edited:
Is there any possibility you can “live” downstairs for a while? Perhaps you have a recliner you can sleep in? Bathroom on first floor? I live alone and managed but don’t think I would have if I had to tackle stairs?

Do you have any neighbors or friends who would be willing to stop by every day and check on you?.
Incredibly some properties do not have bath or even-half bath on first floor. Crazy right! I am all one floor but it was still nuts. Keeping the phone charged is crucial too when alone for stretches.

And, YES on having friends to step in to check on you. Not just one person -- so no one is too burdened. My water when off at the street main at one point and friend brought water.
Thanks Fourcats and LD. Unfortunately, I am in a small, quirky mid-19th century cottage in England, and my bedroom and bathroom are upstairs, while my living room and kitchen are downstairs. I don’t have a recliner, or even a couch I can sit on anymore, just the kind of wing-backed armchair you see in Agatha Christie episodes! Thankfully, I have handrails everywhere and a stairlift. I live alone, but do have friends who drop round - I’m just too exhausted to be sociable today.

Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985
Oh my, this made my eyes misty. I am so sorry you're feeling as vulnerable as you are. I am sending a big warm hug your way right now and hope you feel it. You are loved and cared about. Consider having a loving heart to heart about your current needs with your boys as a parental teaching moment in life, for their benefit in the years to come.
LD of Michigan made some excellent points in her post above, No. 10
I hope tomorrow feels brighter. :console2:

Thanks, LD. To be fair, neither of my boys are self-involved. I think coming out of hospital at the weekend, made things harder, because they’ve both been working all week, plus getting me to hospital and doing other things for me… And then what’s more it was my older son’s birthday on Saturday when I was discharged, and my younger son offered to cover, so it’s brother didn’t need to cancel his birthday plans, but that means my younger son hasn’t had a break this weekend at all. It’s been a very difficult six months. But I’m having the other knee done soon, on 23/5, so we need to hold it together a bit longer…
[/QUOTE]
Oh my regarding the b-day timing! That had to be hard on them. Sorry for the unintentional over-reach there (I've work with teens having experienced them at the height of their self-involvement LOL). Of course each and every situation/ child/ adult-child is different. Indeed as I said varied shifts and the like help. I always thanked my helpers, family and friends - taking nothing for granted.

And they will get better with helping with experience. My family/ helpers did much better the second time around with TKR surgery. We were all more familiar.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Today I am in that state where I can’t argue any of my points coherently or without crying, because I’m exhausted, in pain, overwhelmed, vulnerable, and full of mood-altering medication! Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985… Hopefully tomorrow will be better..
Yes, I felt and still feel much of that (well off the heavy meds). I had to wrestle down my insurance company re. business all they while being weepy and in pain. Kept a notebook or paper/ pens nearby to help me sort my garbled thoughts. I had to watch what type of tv/ stream programming I'd fall asleep to or I'd awaken disturbed or weepy. And many of in our age group indeed miss our parents alot when going thru all of this.

Tomorrow will be better ))hugs((
Funnily enough, I haven’t been able to cope with watching or listening to anything at all since my surgery - none of the movies or episodes or audiobooks I downloaded. I do have some processing issues remaining from my stroke, and I think my senses are getting very easily overloaded.
I can’t imagine how I could possibly argue with insurance companies - I really feel for you!! I feel very lucky indeed to have access to free UK NHS health care.

Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985
Oh my, this made my eyes misty. I am so sorry you're feeling as vulnerable as you are. I am sending a big warm hug your way right now and hope you feel it. You are loved and cared about. Consider having a loving heart to heart about your current needs with your boys as a parental teaching moment in life, for their benefit in the years to come.
LD of Michigan made some excellent points in her post above, No. 10
I hope tomorrow feels brighter. :console2:
Thank you, Layla. Sometimes there are just moments like that , and today is one of them.

Mostly, I just want my mummy, which is unfortunate since she died in 1985… Hopefully tomorrow will be better..

And many of in our age group indeed miss our parents a lot when going thru all of this.
This is so true. As an only child, when my parents died within 6 weeks of each other in 2003 I felt I had been orphaned. As you all know, grief and pain do ease over time and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Be kind to yourself.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back