My post-op notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

senior
Country
United States United States
I posted several post-op type statements in my original thread in the surgery forum (http://www.bonesmart.org/public_forum/showthread.php?t=2966) but I thought my further comments and questions belonged here instead.

I've run a slight fever each night (tonight being the 3rd night) but I've had no problem during the day. My thermometer is broken here at the house but at the hospital the highest temp was 100.4. From what I can gather searching other threads this is not abnormal, but I want to confirm that. The nurses and doctor weren't concerned, so I probably shouldn't either, but I'm a worrier. I'm going to get a new thermometer today and keep an eye on it here at home.

The reason I got a total instead of a resurfacing was primarily because my bad leg was shorter than my good one by about 3/4 inch. The surgeon fixed that and I can tell the difference when I'm standing. It is so weird but in a good way! I can't wait to put a pair of jeans on and have the length fit right on my right leg.

Also, prior to surgery the foot on my bad leg had a splay to it (pointed out a bit). That is fixed, too. It is so cool to have both feet pointing straight ahead! I can't wait to be able to walk normally.

My incision looks good according to the nurse (no infection) but it is starting to itch after I do some activity. It's hard not to scratch it :) I've had it cut twice before, so you'd think I'd be used to it.

I'm glad to have those TEDs off. It felt so good to scratch my legs after taking them off. I didn't get told I had to wear them at home. Is that normal? Does taking the blood thinner shots (Fragmin) remove the need for the TEDs or is it because I'm younger (37) and healthy?

Morphine is great! I had quite a bit of pain my second night post-op, starting about 36 hours after surgery and about 12 hours after walking the first time. The overnight nurse gave me a dose and I slept so good. I wish I could sleep that good at home every night!

The hospital food was surprisingly good. Other than a couple of things that were bland (understandably because everyone doesn't like spicy food like I do ;) ) all the meals were a nice surprise. Much better than in the 80s and 90s.

I have so much respect for RNs, CNAs and all the other various attendants. I was treated with excellent care. I know there are several on here and I salute you.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I slept earlier last evening so I'm wide awake at 3:30 in the morning and frankly, I can be wordy ;)

"Wordy" is fine Scott! :) Most of us on here are the same!
Good to hear how well you are doing - I can almost see the smile on your face from here!

Peta

No-one here has exceeded my wordage, Scott! (oops - have I thrown down a gauntlet?)

The use of TEDs and anticoagulants is very much a personal thing from the surgeon. Trying to find any rhyme or reason in it is a quick way to insanity!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_wink_1.jpg

No-one here has exceeded my wordage, Scott! (oops - have I thrown down a gauntlet?)

The use of TEDs and anticoagulants is very much a personal thing from the surgeon. Trying to find any rhyme or reason in it is a quick way to insanity!
ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_wink_1.jpg

LOL. The gauntlet has been thrown ;)

Thanks for the note on TEDs. Seems like several things exist like this. No clear-cut answers on many things.

Good luck in your recovery, Scott! It gets better and better! :)

Hi All, I had to wear the glam socks for 6 weeks, so glad thats over, but still taking an asprin every day but last one tomorrow, feels like im coming through to the right side of the recovery with all the tablets gone.
Lynne

So happy to hear how well you are doing Scott:) Did you get staples or glue?

I also had to wear the socks for 6 weeks but only during the day. The interesting part was getting the darn things on in the AM! No way I could do it so my husband was the hero who wrestled with my leg and the stockings at 5am every day. Not very fun but he did it. I was so happy to lose them finally.
Also on low dose aspirin every day for the next 2 months

So happy to hear how well you are doing Scott:) Did you get staples or glue?

I also had to wear the socks for 6 weeks but only during the day. The interesting part was getting the darn things on in the AM! No way I could do it so my husband was the hero who wrestled with my leg and the stockings at 5am every day. Not very fun but he did it. I was so happy to lose them finally.
Also on low dose aspirin every day for the next 2 months

I got staples. I had those for the first two surgeries as well, so my leg is going to look like a mini war zone when the incision heals :) I have an interesting new incision because the surgeon used part of the old scar and then made another cut at a different angle.

I can't imagine dealing with the stockings every day. I used my reaching tool to get mine off and that wore me out.

Have you seen the hippee scar posts? You should take a picture and post also

No, I haven't. I didn't know that existed. I guess I haven't looked around enough! I'm going to go find them now. Thanks for the tip!

edit: I see now it's a sticky post. It was right in front of me the whole time :-D

Hi Scott, I ran a fever every night in the hospital, too, but they weren't really worried about it. They thought it might have been because I didn't have any narcotics while I was there. I guess those help keep your temp down. Hurtingbuthopeful is right - we need to see a picture of that scar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts