BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

my pain

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ldm380, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All my pain was on my bum and side of hip so never in a million years thought it was hip. I saw several physios and was told piriformis and bursitis. Finally had a MRI bone on bone left hip. I really thought it was muscular.

It was only when I saw a new physio that he said to get xray etc, as with treatment I was having there should have been improvement. Having my hip replacement 14th November.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

3. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

@Josephine i thought the pain I was having was just muscular not from my hip. I never had bursitis or piriformis syndrome that a physio was treating me for. The pain I was having was from needing a hip replacement. I never had or have any groin or thigh pain at all.

4. Josephine

Well that happens!

5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    I was shocked when I got the diagnosis of end stage OA in both hips at age 53...actually the word I used was mortified!
    After bilateral hip replacement last year, I am now back to a happy hip pain free life!!!
    Roll on November 14.
    Truly a life changing surgery.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fairydell

Fairydell post-grad

I thought I had strained my groin. Arthritis had never even crossed my mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cementless

Cementless senior

I have just started to read the threads on the hip replacement website. I probably should start my on thread concerning my husband who is 72 yrs. old. Our PCP has diagnosed him with R. Trochanteric bursitis and he does have psoriatic arthritis. He is not good about taking NSAIDS. A regular hip X-ray did not show bone on bone. I guess I should make him an appointment with my OS that did my L TK revision but he is not ready. It hurts for him to get up out of a chair. This has been going on for a couple of years but worse lately. I have also noticed during the last couple of years he shuffles his feet but does not have Parkinson. He has some balance issues and this may be how he walks to compensate for the pain. Scared to think about how to go about handling this situation.

Cementless

8. Josephine

Best treatment is to have him given a steroid injection into the bursa. It works wonderfully well. I've had it twice and it always gave me a pretty near instant cure!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

9. Going4fun

Going4fun senior

Hi @Ldm380, I think almost all of us under 70 are shocked by the diagnosis, especially given the way hip arthritis presents itself. My pain (as is the case with many people though not all) presented in the former of inner thigh-groin pain. So what did I do? I stretched ... I tried to stretch the inner thigh. In fact, a good year before I figured out that my hip was the problem, I felt that thigh pain ... and I chalked it up to a pair of shoes I had been wearing. I got rid of the shoes. Needless to say, the shoes weren't the problem.

So I get your surprise, the shock, the near disbelief. That's fairly typical. In fact, after I cut back my activity and did physical therapy and the pain settled down for a while, I experienced severe knee pain. Went to a knee doctor, who took a look at my X-rays and without me telling him one word about my medical history, he promptly said, "Your knees look great. This is most likely a hip problem."

So hips arthritis can show up with knee pain or back pain ... and so it takes time for many people to get correctly diagnosed.

What's interesting in my case is in the middle of boo-hooing over the condition (and I remember crying one day walking to a surgeon's office for a second opinion), I suddenly remembered that my mother had had hip arthritis all her life. She was one of the unusual cases in that the doctors finally ordered her at age 87 to have the replacement surgery because the deterioration was so bad they feared the hip would crack, she would fall and severely injure herself.

Welcome ... makes total sense that you would be surprised.

10. Ldm380

Ldm380 member

Hi @Going4fun yes I was stretching. I went to yoga, Pilates stretched at home. I’m just over 7 weeks post op and doing well. Walking with no pain ( I still cannot believe the amount of pain I was in walking) it feels so good. The one thing I will take from this is I will never wait this long again and if I ever get any pain in the other hip I will be on top of it long before the one I had done

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. WhyAskMe

WhyAskMe member

Hi, thought I'd chime in for a moment.

Shock, surprise and denial were my initial reactions. You having those feelings are common and to some extent to be expected I would think.

In my case, my initial medical problems were not hips. It was both of my knees that were killing me.

When it started, I took a weekend job at a gun range as a Safety Officer and instructor. The job did not allow sitting while on the clock.

After my first 3 hours, my knees started to ache and within an hour, had flared so bad I told my new boss I had to go home and couldn't do the job. I couldn't even stand without wanting to scream.

I spent the next 4 days in bed because they hurt so bad. Once they settled back down, I made lifestyle changes (became sedentary) and only experienced occasional aches in only my knees. My hips were fine all through this.

Last summer I started noticing unexplained tightness on the outside of my hips. They both started crashing rapidly over several months until last Thanksgiving day 2018.

On Thanksgiving, I was in such horrendous hip pain that I went to the ER. They did x-rays and shortly after, the attending Orthopedic came in and said I had bone-on-bone both sides and gave me a list of surgeons and ortho groups to check out.

The first surgeon I went to refused to do THR on me stating I was too young (55yrs)...even though he was over 20 years younger than me....snot-nosed brat!

Finally found a group in Phoenix, Az called The Orthopedic Clinic Association (TOCA). If anyone reading this lives in AZ, I would highly recommend Dr Roberto Calderon there...he's absolutely brilliant...well, the whole association there is!

BTW, my knees have been absolutely pain-free since getting my shiny new hips.

Long story short, thank goodness this condition can be overcome by modern medicine, science and technology.

Well, having proper emotional support is equally invaluable as well.

You will find that here. This site and group have really been a big help to me through two THRs and am so glad I did it!

Welcome to the solution to regaining your life before the pain!

• Like Like x 2