TKR My new knee

You can try to slide the seat back a little to where you can get the pedals around after a little back and forth. Then after using that position for a couple of sessions... or even during one of those sessions... move the seat back up a notch up or 2 and try to make 'em go around on that setting now that you are warmed up better. In my experience the PT guys aren't that knowledgeable about bikes and the effects of seat position. Make sure you log the positions you are using so you can repeat this consistently.

As for the buckling... we have all had it. Worse in the beginning week or 2 but IIRC I had one or 2 episodes later on. Not usually anything to be worried about... unless maybe you let it catch you so off guard that you fall or something.

6 week update

I was able to rotate the pedals backwards on the recumbent bike on Monday at PT. I was really happy about that. It hurt, but I did it. Still can’t go forward yet.

Wow, that was quick! It took me a couple more weeks before I had the nerve to try.

@sistersinhim I didn’t even realize I did it until it was done, I had been rocking back and forth and then pedaling backwards. I stopped for a second and moved my foot forward on the pedal and when I went to start again, I went forward without thinking. I surprised myself and just kept going. I did several rotations. :bicycle1:

7 weeks post op update:

Over the last 3 days I have felt less stiffness, but I am still swollen and still have quite a bit of pain.
I walked a mile yesterday without my cane. I am concentrating on heel/toe walking.
I did flexion, extension and quad strengthening PT exercises at home 2x yesterday.
I rode on my upright stationary bike 2x yesterday. It took me quite a while rocking back and forth before I finally pedaled backwards and it hurt a lot, but got a little better as I loosened up. I couldn’t go forward. It felt much easier last week. Two steps forward, one step back.
I went to outpatient PT and I have lost a few degrees flexion since my last appointment. I worked pretty hard yesterday and I was sore and swollen when I woke up this morning, so I’m not really surprised. It is all related to my swelling, of course. It was a little disappointing, but I am anticipating some improvement next outpatient session. I do feel I am getting stronger.
I continue to massage my scar at night while I watch TV.
I have been using Voltaren gel on my knee four times a day. My family doctor also prescribed a 9 day course of prednisone to see if it might bring my swelling down. I can’t take NSAIDS because I am on a blood thinner, so maybe steroids will help. I start the prednisone tomorrow.
I still ice and elevate a few times a day.
I feel like I am making a little progress, slowly but surely. :)

hey…. I always look for your thread as we’re on the same timeline :loveshwr:
Glad to see you’re improving….. it’s a toughie this recovery process isn’t it!!
Well done on walking out without your cane!!! I’m not that brave just yet, although I never use it in the house anymore.
We can do this !! :cheers:

I have been using Voltaren gel on my knee four times a day.
I can’t take NSAIDS because I am on a blood thinner

Be careful with Voltaren Arthritis Pain Gel. It is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory gel, which means it is an NSAID. I was told to use it only once a day. Maybe you can ask your doctor about this.

I walked a mile yesterday without my cane.

I did flexion, extension and quad strengthening PT exercises at home 2x yesterday.

I rode on my upright stationary bike 2x yesterday.

but I am still swollen and still have quite a bit of pain.

I went to outpatient PT and I have lost a few degrees flexion since my last appointment.
Your pain and lower ROM number (which is probably from increased swelling) is telling you that you are doing more than your healing knee is ready for. That was a lot of work on a swollen and painful knee, to be done all in one day.

I suggest one of those activities per day. The rest of the time each day your daily activities will give your knee the healing mobility it needs. Resting and elevating will also be good for it.

@Jockette Thank you. Interestingly enough, my knee swelling is down a lot today (1/2 an inch) and this is the best I’ve felt since my surgery. My bend is much better this morning. I can tell just by the way it looks and feels. I think the bike is really helping to loosen me up. I know I did a lot that day. I was trying to see what I could do and get away with. :) I am still icing and elevating, too.

8 week update: ADL’s are getting easier and I am able to do more things in a day. I had a very busy day yesterday. Lots of errands around town, grocery shopping, home exercises, began packing for a 7 day cruise we are taking over Christmas, even got a pedicure. I was tired of looking at my feet. LOL. I told the girl to just cut my nails and polish. No touching my leg at all! So, now I have pretty, sparkly, red toenails for Christmas. I was tired at the end of the day, but I had accomplished everything I wanted to do.

I still have tightness and stiffness in my knee. My ROM improving again, little by little. I got to 100° in PT on Tuesday, so it is up from the week before, but still down from my highest reading of 102°. I am hoping I will get a better reading today when I go.

I rode my home stationery bike, but still can’t go forward on it and backwards hurts like heck. The recumbent bike at PT is much easier for me. I think it’s a better angle for my knee.

I still ice and elevate in the evening. That is when my knee starts to throb. The ice is a great pain reliever.

My doctor gave me a course of prednisone, and I think it is helping me. I am sleeping well. I am walking a lot without my cane and my therapist says my walking is much improved. However, it doesn’t feel natural yet.
When I get up in the morning is when my knee feels the best. As soon as I am up for awhile it stiffens up again.

All in all, I am seeing improvement. Just wish I could bend my knee better, but I keep telling myself that it’s coming eventually. I really don’t want to end up with a permanent stiff knee.

The ice is a great pain reliever.
It is amazing how much it helps. I'd sleep at night as long as my ice machine was circulating cold water. When all the ice melted and the water warmed up, my knee would start hurting and wake me up. I'll refill my ice container with frozen water bottles and water and fall asleep again after my knee cooled down and the pain diminished. Icing is a whole lot better for me than pain meds!

All in all, I am seeing improvement. Just wish I could bend my knee better, but I keep telling myself that it’s coming eventually. I really don’t want to end up with a permanent stiff knee.
Congratulations! I'm sure it feels great to function well enough to be out and about running errands. It's wonderful that you are feeling well enough to take that cruise.

The stiffness/tightness you describe is pretty normal for most us. I continued to experience until I was about 4-5 months out, but it gradually disappeared and my bend continued to improve well into my second year.

Another update. I could only get to 96° at PT. Going backwards again. :what:

You're NOT going backwards. You are having a normal recovery -- which looks something like this:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

Every one of us had up days and down days. Some days you are more swollen or painful than other days. That is reflected in your ROM. It will go up and down, just like that rollercoaster.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
sophiawilson
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom