• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

[HIP INFECTION] My medicated spacer

Claude38

Country
United States United States
I had a rt THR which dislocated in the hospital, i believe when i was transferred from OR bed to my room. I was never able to bear weight on it. Post revision cultures showed MRSA and non aureus staph infs. I went on IV vancomycin. 2 weeks later my incision cultures pos for Klebsiella. Now i have a medicated spacer, IV vznco, and oral Levaquin. I'm being told that once im clear of infections, i have one more chance at a permanent THR. Why?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.

I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. Please clarify a few things...
When was your original Right THR? (exact date please)
When did you have a revision? (exact date)
Have you asked your surgeon why you only have one more chance at getting this right?

I feel as though you've been misinformed, or you're possibly misunderstanding? We've had member's who've had more than one spacer or prosthetic placed.

Below you will find the BoneSmart Recovery Guidelines.
Many helpful articles that you may find beneficial as you're healing.
If you'd please help clarify what's mentioned above, we may be able to better advise you.
Wishing you comfort as you begin the journey!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Westy

Country
Greetings Claude38,

I am sorry to hear about your situation. As I read it, the part that stuck out to me is that you only had one more shot at a THR. I read a few other hip forums, but only post here. I recall reading posts from a young lady, I believe in her mid to late 30's who had already had 3 THR's on the same side. If I recall correctly, they were all due to infections. The last post I read from her stated that the OS told her she could only do one more, as she was running out of "good bone" to insert the metal femur part in. Fortunately, she also reported that her 3rd THR was doing fine as of her last posting. I'm sorry I don't recall the exact forum. I hope all goes well for you in the future.

Best
Westy

Izabel

graduate
Country
Portugal Portugal
:welome: Claude and sorry you have joined the infection club.

I had my hip replaced in December 2014 due to a fall and break. I then had another fall pushing the stem through my femur. In October 2018 I went in for a Revision and it was discovered I had E-Coli so everything was removed, debrided and a spacer installed. I was on antibiotics through February and in March this year I had a new hip successfully implanted. I have Osteoporosis so my bones are not strong by any means.

I wish you well with a good recovery.

Hang .. Better.jpeg Izzy xx

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Claude38
I'm wondering how you're doing? Please consider joining us here for some support and encouragement as you move through your treatment and recovery. There are many stories here of those who've battled infection and are healthy and thriving. I hope you're doing well. We'd love to hear from you soon. All the best!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'm being told that once im clear of infections, i have one more chance at a permanent THR. Why?
The others are right.
Don't feel that this is your only chance.
There are lots of people who have had hip replacements revised several times.

What you do need for that, though, is a surgeon who specializes in fixing hips that have had problems.
These surgeons see difficult hips every working day and they can often achieve success, when other surgeons have run out of options.

Top Bottom