TKR My LTKR journey

Hi everyone, Since Tuesday's fish tank cleaning, and yes, my venture into the ODIC, I am back on track (mostly). My knee felt good Thursday after lots of TLC (ice, elevate, heat). I went to the Y and did 20 minutes on the bike. No other exercises. Today, I re-gripped a couple of my golf clubs and am going to the Y and on my way home, I plan on hitting some chips (no full swings). It's about 60 degrees so I want to get out. Take care, Happy St Patty's Day to those that follow and have a great weekend!

Happy Two Month Anniversary! Good to read you're back on track. Hope you had fun chipping.
May your weekend be a good one!
@Tino2You

So yesterday I took a road trip with a couple of friends to our Cabin near Gettysburg. it's a 7 hour round trip. I drove the first and last hour and rode in the back seat for the other 5 hours (3.5 hour trip each way). We had lunch and then walked around and determined what needed to be fixed after winter (we close it up after Thanksgiving). So that is the back story. My knee was swollen after the trip. At bedtime I iced the knee for a couple of hours and then took 2 Tylenol PM. Out like a light :)
This morning my knee is still swollen (not as much) and it is "talking" to me. I think it will be ok but I was hoping for a little bit better outcome. I KNOW ... slow and steady. Anyway....Happy First Day of Spring!

First of all, you have every right to an occasional gripe. We all do it at some point. But, I don't see your posts as griping. I see it as sharing your recovery. It can be helpful to others see where we are in recovery. Not to compare, but to say, hey! I'm experiencing that ,too.

And isn't it great when we get a good nights sleep or have a good day?
I hope 7 weeks is your best so far!
We all like to complain and be heard when feelin lousy. What a better place to do it than in an environment where people genuinely care and can give heartfelt advice.

Keep the updates coming and u will keep getting support and advice. It’s the way it works around here. :loveshwr:

Mine has been misbehaving lately, too. I attribute it to more activity. Not ODIC worthy yet. Just more swelling than usual. Last week was better than now.
You're absolutely right....slow and steady! And Spring! Finally!

More activity, less activity, its certainly a delicate balance, isn't it?!!
You sit around too long and you feel like you need an Oil Can like the Tin Man. You try to enjoy life, a tad too much and you swell up like a balloon. :gaah: Recovery can be frustrating. Are we having fun yet, peeps?:wink:

Happy Spring to you @Tino2You I hope after another day of rest, ice and elevation you're feeling good!

It has been almost 10 weeks since my surgery, All in all I am pretty pleased. I've tip-toed through the ODIC a couple of times. The 7 hour road trip caused a lot of swelling and I missed a week of workouts at the Y.
Some of my findings are I can't stand in one place for more than 15 minutes. My knee swells. I still ice and elevate a few times a day. I am taking 1 Tylenol PM at bed time and 500mg Tylenol in the morning. I don't have pain in my knee (ok if I twist it as I did when my shoe caught on the rug as I was turning!!) I do have a "tight feeling" above the knee and it is more pronounced with activity. uh duh!
All in all I'm looking for the next couple of weeks. Maybe try hitting some gold balls again. Time will tell.

Sounds like where I am. But, its improving. I have the tightness above knee, too...at top of scar. But, the pain is so much better!
You must be very fancy. The price of gold is kinda high these days:rotfl:

Tomorrow will be 11 weeks PO. All in all I feel good. Pain is non-existent (unless I do something dumb). I mowed my lawn today. Counted that as a “workout”. A little more than 2 miles. Knee feel a little tight but not too swollen. After lunch, I’ll ice and elevate it. It’s getting nice out here now. Lots of spring flowers, LOTS of pollen!

Nice update, Tino2You! Glad you're feeling good and not experiencing any pain. Icing and elevating after the mowing, if your knee is tight, is wise. Enjoy those Spring flowers! Wish I could say that...as look out the window at SNOW on the ground. Someone needs to tell Mother Nature it's Spring! :wink:
Have a great week!
@Tino2You

3 months in and starting to feel normal. :)
The lateral side of my knee is still numb. The medial side nerves are working.
The knee still swells after (during) exercising but not as debilitating. I've only iced my knee once each day for the last three days. But my exercising has been curtailed because of cataract surgery last week. (no workouts till my post op visit in two more days).
As for how the knee is doing, I go up/down stairs without having to hold on the railing. I rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes at level 2 (with a few minutes at 3). walking is no problem. I cut my grass twice (before eye surgery). I can now stand for about 25 minutes before I have to find a chair (found this out during my grandson's baseball game). I've been off of Tylenol and gummies a week now (stopped after eye surgery). Trying to ween myself off of Tylenol PM so I can sleep. Previous to my TKR, I went to bed and was asleep within 20 minutes which really ticked off my wife who has to read for an hour or so. Would have started playing golf this week, but AGAIN can't because of the eye surgery (oh and I am scheduled to have the right eye done next week). If anyone is still reading, if you think the recovery of a TKR is a PITA, having to put drops in you eye 6-8 times a day is really a PITA. Anyway, hope everyone is enjoying spring. The pollen here in the first state is quite impressive. My car has a yellow film on it every morning. oh well....HAPPY TUESDAY.

Your knee will be fine during your recovery from your cataract surgeries. You might even find that the ROM will improve!

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly.
Good luck with the cataract surgery.
I have early " pre- cataracts" on optometrist screening- so this is something to look forward to!
Can it be worse than knee surgery??

I have early " pre- cataracts" on optometrist screening- so this is something to look forward to!
Can it be worse than knee surgery??
It is nothing like TKR. My biggest problem was my surgery appointment was scheduled for 1pm. Went to the surgery center at 12:30. Surgery was delayed till 3pm. I had no food, water or FUN from midnight till after 4:30 pm. The actual surgery took less than an hour. Anesthetic was "twilight" stage so I could hear and see (albeit just a bright light). Afterwards no working out and LOTS of DROPS. Anyway, I can now see without glasses (ok on just the left eye) the first time since I was 5. Next week we are doing the right eye.

I use frozen bottles for my ice machine, it works very[ welll.QUOTE="Tino2You, post: 1581591, member: 42827"]
Day 0
Surgery went well. 0900 in surgery - back in room at noon. occupational therapy @ 1400 - PT @ 1500 - discharged @ 1630
Hospital sent me home with walker, Breg cooling system.
love the cooler. Someone mentioned freezing water bottles. I should have listened. Our ice machine doesn’t produce enough only. Had 2 small lunch box ice packs to use. Will either get more or 1 pint water bottles.
my wife (a Registered nurse) wont let me navigate steps by myself yet.
One thing I should have thought of was to get an initial measurement to chart swelling on both knees.
Day 1
Sore but not hurting much 3/10 (taking pain meds as prescribed).
wheels on walker attached on outside of bottom. Will switch them to inside (one bolt and cap nut) because doors are just big enough by not by much. Moving will get me a couple of inches.
[/QUOTE]

wheels on walker attached on outside of bottom. Will switch them to inside (one bolt and cap nut) because doors are just big enough by not by much.
@Vioryny moving the wheels on the walker is EASY. You can just switch (press the button to remove the whole assembly) switch the left to the right....Voila the wheels are on the inside.

Good to hear that you're progressing at 3 months!
Me too! I'm almost back to pre surgery activity level. Back among the living LOL
My to do list includes eye appt. I dread it because cataract surgery is looming, if not impending.
You can put that behind you now!

Good luck for the second cataract operation!

Played 18 holes of golf today. First time on the course after knee (and recently Cataract surgery) all in all was a good day. was not my best or worst score but had lots of fun. Knee was not swollen even after walking 4+ miles. A good day!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom