MUA My LTKR journey continues to RTKR<

Hoping that today was a much better day and that all went well at the dentist.:flwrysmile:

those stools are great ideas. i'm looking for something like that or even one that is attached to one of those stadium chairs to take to the beach in september. i'm going to need to elevate my leg for sure and i can spend a whole afternoon at the beach reading, along with a beach umbrella. we have to carry these on a 7 minute walk through the forest to the beach. one of those would be perfect for @becticu on her travels.

You forgot about lefty at 5 months? Yaaayyyy! :loveshwr: Thst's wonderful! Shows there is life after knee surgery :yes:

Thanks all of you for the different stool ideas. I'm going to have to decide on one. I'm not sure about toting one in the hospital to use while I am teaching. I haven't quite figured out how I'm truly going to do my job when I'm back to full time. Thankfully for now my first week back full time I am only in one hospital for one day and it's in Chattanooga so no travel or hotel. We are trying to come up with a plan but hopefully can do a lot of management from home.

I was concerned my ODIC would last for days but it didn't!!! I was so tired and so when I got back Tuesday night and again did not sleep much on Tuesday evening. How many days can I go without sleep before I crash? It's not terrible pain, but just all that discomfort and what I think is nerve pain. Wednesday went well even with no sleep. I got my braces off and had a long day between orthodontist and dentist appointments going back and forth. I had to get fitted for retainers and then have pre work done for some old crowns that need to be replaced. The amazing thing was I kept forgetting to take pain meds and I didn't hurt. :yes!:

Last night I decided to take Gabapentin that my back doc had prescribed a couple of years ago. I know that a lot of you have been prescribed this by your OS so I decided it probably wouldn't hurt to try. I slept all night and didn't wake for a potty call till 6:30.:sleep: I was aware of my tossing and turning but didn't really wake up or stay awake. I guess I will try taking that at night for a while to see if it continues to help. It sure made me feel better with some sleep!

Ta da...on the the best part.:dancy:I had PT this morning and we measured. She hasn't measure this week at all. So Beatrice did 124 easily on her own and 128 after Monika did her massage and warm up on it. Lefty continued to measure 130. I was thrilled. For anyone new reading my thread, I did have a MUA done August 9 as I was stuck at 90 for weeks. I feel like I have had wonderful success after the adhesions were broken up but I don't want anyone to be discouraged if that hasn't happened to them. I went from 90 to 124 in two weeks, that's not expected. Recovery is such a long process and each knee is so different! Each day is also so different and there are many up and downs. Monika is working with me on strength, gait and many other things I need help with since doing this since March. She is also building an exercise program for my back I can continue to do as my knee recovery has not been kind to the back!

Love the comic Becky - so true!!! Great report on your recovery as well as the PT visit - a stellar MUA success story. You are on your way! I would really encourage you to try to have some sort of stool or desk or chair for your teaching stints, particularly if you have to stand in one place for any length of time. Last week I had to give 14 short talks over three days - I was on my feet for just 15-20 minutes at a time and then about 45 minutes sitting and even some elevating. These were 3 hour sessions 2 x day and my knee was really swollen by the end of the 2nd day from standing in one place just for 15-20 minutes at a time (at 15 weeks post op). While I recovered each night it was uncomfortable by the end of each day.

Hi Becky! Great report! So happy that you recovered from your trip!
I was prescribed Gambapentin by my OS. Started off with 300 mg then was supposed to increase up to 900 mg /day. I did not increase as I have read side effects of larger doses and was unsure. The 300 mg has worked for me and I have slept almost every night since surgery! I've not had any of the shooting nerve twinges. Next week, I plan to step back to 100mg/day and see if I can come off of it. It will be interesting to see if I continue to sleep!

what a fantastic update becky. i think you'll be able to do all you need to do in your job and life as long as you take good care and listen to your body. i'm very happy for you as we all are.:flwrysmile:

Becky, what a great report, from the dental stuff, the recovery from the ODIC, to the PT; whoohoo! You're on a roll in the right direction! Now, the works stuff....well....I dunno. From what you've described, that does sound very challenging, especially for the first few weeks and until your muscles get stronger. Those folding camp stools are really lightweight, so shouldn't be too much hassle to carry around. Maybe one would even fit in whatever rolling suitcase type of equipment you bring on trips? I think I recall you stating you have to lug a lot of stuff with you. When we were boat owner's, we had a great wheelie cart bought at a marine store. Maybe you could find something like that and the camping stool would fit inside? Just for kicks, you could wear a Sailor Hat, lol! :heehee:

P.S. : I was prescribed Gabapentin over a year ago for my back. I take 900mg a day and I *think* it may have spared me from some of the worst knee zingers. I've had some, but really, not too many, all things considered. I also regained my ability to sleep more quickly than many here seem to do. I've been crediting super-sleepy Nemo with sprinkling his Pug Dust all over me, but perhaps I'm wrong about that and it's really due to Gabapentin. Hmmm, :scratch: could be!

Thanks Sandi, how are you doing?? Kathleen, thanks for the tips. Fortunately I don't have to teach or speak behind a podium. I have staff in a classroom but everyone has a monitor to work with while I am teaching so they are not sitting in rows. I generally can rove the classroom to make sure we are all in sync. I would normally teach two hours with a 30-60 minute break and then another two hr class. i still need to figure out elevating for sure. It's good to hear how other people handled their back to work.

Helen and Pheebs, it's interesting you both take Gabapentin and have generally slept okay. I only took two hundred mg and just before bedtime. Pheebs I think you said you take it during the day but when do you take yours Helen?

Hoping for another good night of sleep!

Yes, thanks Merry. I think Bea has decided to get herself in line.

So much for sleep last night....:shrug: I should have known two good nights in a row wasn't in the stars for me.... I think some of the strengthening exercises yesterday at PT did my back in. Beatrice, the knee, swelled up quite a bit but she didn't hurt. The back on the other hand screamed and shot excruciating pain down the right leg all night. Monika did say the focus at PT today would be the back. Thank heavens for that... Will all parts of my body ever cooperate with each other? Geez :bawl:

Aw, Becky. Sorry you had such a hard night. It sure would be nice if all of our body parts would cooperate. I hope that pt is able to give you some relief today and will pray for a good night for you tonight.

Aw Becky, that just stinks! I certainly know the feeling; aargggh! Is it too soon for you to have another epidural injection in the spine? If not, I think I'd go for it. Also, have you ever considered Radio-Frequency Ablation? I'm sure you have but thought it might be worth mentioning. One note of interest that may only pertain to me, my gait peculiarities with the knee and my back; any sort of backless foot wear will set off my back pain. Sad, but true. Like most here, I like sandals and flip-flops and clogs, but...the knee and the back seem to conspire against that idea. If it try, they'll both let me know in no uncertain terms; pffft.

I know you've tried just about everything under the sun to get a decent night's sleep, but have you tried Melatonin or SleepyTime tea? I found it helpful many years ago when I had shoulder surgery and just couldn't get comfortable in bed. It wasn't foolproof, but it did help on most nights.

Sending some very strong, special brew "Sleeping Pixie Dust," your way tonight. Nemo had a hand in making this batch and he can fall asleep while standing!

Your recovery report is so great but I'm sorry about your tough night. I hope Monika can help you with your back too!

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Thanks Sandi, Pheebs and Shelley. I've pretty much tried the gamut of everything for sleep except sleep medication like Ambien etc. I really don't want to go that route if possible. Unlike you @Pheebs52 i have historically slept poorly. But usually essential oils have helped. Not much of anything does now. I've tried all the over the counter stuff.

Monika did work on my back today and it's not shooting down to my toes tonight if I am careful how I lay. I've also been thinking about footwear and wondering if there may be a correlation...:sigh::boohoo:

When DH and I were in separate rooms after surgery I could turn on all the meditation Utubes. Since we've moved back in together I hate to have that going all night. I try ear plugs but find I stay awake adjusting them....I think I'll try reading a bit and see if I fall asleep....sorry @SusieShoes im sure your books wouldn't make me sleepy!:eyebrows:

I can't fall asleep with earbuds, but I can with the more old-fashioned style ear-muffs. Do you have a pair? If not, they can be found cheaply at Walgreens; worth a try?

I'm glad Monika made your back a bit better, but I do know that sense of fragility that comes with back pain. It often seems like just moving a bit *wrong* by a half-inch will set things off. Perhaps Hubby should wrap you up in Bubble Wrap? Just a thought.:heehee:

Becky Just getting caught up on your thread. Seems you have been riding the roller coaster this week.
I am happy your dental work went well and going back to work is not easy no matter how you slice it. I hope you can work something out that doesn't leave you in the ODIC every night!
As far as sleep, the ever elusive sleep, we are all still searching for the magical answer. The best solution I have at this point may only be available in Canada but maybe there is something similar in the USA. It is called Gravol and is actually an anti nauseant that is a muscle relaxer to stop heaving. It is an OTC drug and I expect that the relaxer properties is what allows me some much needed sleep. I use it on occasion when I am having a bad night.

Aw, Becky, sleepless nights are so nasty. I'm sorry. And I ditto your hesitation to go for the heavy sleep drugs. According to Consumer Reports, they don't work any better than non-medication solutions, and they have bad side effects to boot. I've been having back issues as well, so I wanted to pass along something that seems to be helping. My PT diagnosed that my back problem is coming from the way I'm bending to pick up things off the floor (like my little 15 pound dogs!). I'm contorting myself to avoid bending my knee as much as it should bend in order to avoid torquing my back. So I'm now trying to swing my operated leg back straight behind me and bending at the waist (especially when there is a wall or a countertop to grab) or slowly squatting so my knee bends enough to keep my back straight. The third solution is to quit picking up stuff off the ground, like little crumbs on the floor for example. Duh! I've been paying attention to this since Thursday and my back already feels better. Take care and use @Pheebs52's Sleeping Pixie Dust. This too shall pass.:bored:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts