Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

That is good news about your incision. I also hated that feeling from the spacer. Try not to let these delays get you down. You want to make sure that the leg is totally infection free before they put in the new replacement. Mine came back 10 days after I finished the antibiotics so sometimes these delays work out for the better. You get some more quality time with the wife :) Maybe another trip to the coast??

That is good news about your incision. I also hated that feeling from the spacer. Try not to let these delays get you down. You want to make sure that the leg is totally infection free before they put in the new replacement. Mine came back 10 days after I finished the antibiotics so sometimes these delays work out for the better. You get some more quality time with the wife :) Maybe another trip to the coast??
@PegGar16
When you say the infection came back was that before or after you had the replacement.

Last edited:
I had the original TKR June 2015. They found the infection December 2015. They tried to do just a cleanout in December and then the whole course of antibiotics with the PICC and then a few weeks of oral. 10 days after I finished the antibiotics the knee swelled up and I felt like I had the flu. That is when the took out the prosthetic and I started everything all over again.

I had the original TKR June 2015. They found the infection December 2015. They tried to do just a cleanout in December and then the whole course of antibiotics with the PICC and then a few weeks of oral. 10 days after I finished the antibiotics the knee swelled up and I felt like I had the flu. That is when the took out the prosthetic and I started everything all over again.
Your story seems very much like mine.
I am still getting a fair bit of aching with this temporary spacer and find I am not getting enough excercise because it just feels so horible also best bend I can get is around 45 degrees.
I am on a 8 week course of flucloxacillin through a picc line.
The picc line dressing is causing a skin rash.
The nurse comes in everyday to change the bottle and is trying all ways with creams etc to try to keep it under control.
I get very low at times and often wonder if I will get my life back.

Last edited:
I know it gets hard to stay upbeat while this is going on. I had Vancomycin through my PICC which sounds a little bit easier than what you are getting. It came in little insusion balls. I would hook up one twice a day. The nurse would come by once a week for lab work and check the PICC line. It was not so confining. I guess your skin isn't liking the adhesive. I sometimes have problems with that. Hopefully things will start to get better soon.

Our prayers are lifting you up, Defender.

Update.
Not so good news had my blood test Sunday got results back today C R P has gone up to 102.
I had to come off rifampacin due to side affects now I have to call G P in the morning to see if I can take anything alongside flucloxacillin.
I was looking at Amoxilciln will see what G P comes up with any thought's.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes these infections can be really stubborn. I'm glad to know they are testing and keeping on top of things.

Update.
Had blood test results back everything normal and C R P has gone down from 102 to 23.3.
I have my appointment this coming Monday with my consultant /surgeon.

This may seem a strange question but this infection which has caused so much trouble and led to me having to have the replacement removed and a temporary spacer fitted.
My right knee has a knee replacement how does it not affect that one.
Pray it never does but just wondering.

When I had a MRSA skin infection in my right leg, I spoke with an ID about the possibility of the infection traveling to my Left TKR. The information I was given, that unless I had some sort of blood infection it was highly unlikely to travel to my knee.

What good news with that CRP drop! Wow, that is wonderful! Prayer works!

Good news about the blood test. Pumpkln is correct that the infection is sourced at only one spot. In order to get to other body parts, it would need to travel there via the bloodstream. This is not likely, especially in a case like yours where your infection is actively being treated.

Got my latest test results back for this week
4 weeks ago 102
3 weeks ago 23.3
2 weeks ago 11.1
This week 11.5
These damn infections really are stubborn.
This temporary knee just doesent feel nice at all and still giving me pain.

It's good to see those numbers going down. Have they told you the level your test must be before the second stage of your revision can take place?

It's good to see those numbers going down. Have they told you the level your test must be before the second stage of your revision can take place?
They told me they would ideally like to see 10 or below.
Don't know what happens if they level out at what they are now but at least they are not shooting up as they once did.
Went to the coast yesterday as it was such a lovely day temperature in the 30s
Shame I couldn't have walked about very limited with a walking frame.
Today I have a dentist appointment not so good.

Sounds like you are almost there with the numbers @Defender ! Hang in there. We are all cheering you on!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom