Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

Coming home, I did the same back seat method as most. In on my butt, slide. After that, we stick to my car, unless grocery shopping at Costco. It seems counterintuitive but I drive a little black convertible. The rise from where the back of my thigh hits the seat to the floor is only 8". Not only is it a simple thing to just step in with my bionic leg and slide down. Because there is very little rise, my leg stretches nearly straight.

The only downside is if my husband is going with me, he is definitely not a 5'6", 115 lb woman. :heehee:

@Jamie
Still in hospital coming out Friday.
These temporary knees spaces whatever they call them take some getting use to feels so clonky and getting use to not fully weight bear.
What are they made of I am afraid of breaking it.
Infection name staphylococcus aureus

Last edited:
I know you'll be glad to get out of there. My knee braces had steel rods inclosed in sponge-like material. They were totally straight and had found velcro belts that I tightened up when putting the braces on. They were hot and I was glad to get out of them after 6-8 weeks!

These temporary knees spaces whatever they call them take some getting use to feels so clonky and getting use to not fully weight bear.
The temporary spacers are made of cement, impregnated with antibiotics. True, they're not very comfortable, but they do a good job.

Don't worry about ROM while you have an antibiotic spacer in - iyt will probably prevent ROm development.

Thank you for the full name of the bacterium that's affecting your knee. Your surgical team should now know what antibiotics are likely to be the most effective at fighting the infection.

The temporary spacers are made of cement, impregnated with antibiotics. True, they're not very comfortable, but they do a good job.

Don't worry about ROM while you have an antibiotic spacer in - iyt will probably prevent ROm development.

Thank you for the full name of the bacterium that's affecting your knee. Your surgical team should now know what antibiotics are likely to be the most effective at fighting the infection.
The antibiotics they are using now is the same one they have been using for sometime.
I looked it up and that is the best one.
Can't wait till Friday to get out of here and back home will have been here 12 days.
What do the antibiotic spacers look like.

Last edited:
What do the antibiotic spacers look like.
They tend to vary a bit and they aren't intended to be permanent, so there isn't a great variety in sizes. They are made by inserting antibiotic-loaded cement into a plastic mold. The cement hardens quite quickly and the completed spacer parts can then be inserted.

They are designed to cover the areas of bone that were exposed when your bones were shaped for the original surgery. They consist of a femoral part and a tibial part, but there is no plastic spacer between them, to help them articulate smoothly, so you tend to have a much more "clunky" joint while they are in place.

They may vary a bit, but they look like this:

1596052600440.png
All cement femoral component.

1596052624379.png
All cement tibial component

1596053099561.png
The two parts fit together, but have no plastic spacer between them.

I hope this helps.

Update.
Coming out in the morning and 12 days in hospital is quite enough.
Hostpital at home will then come out everyday to change antibiotic pump.
Can't wait to get in my own bed.
Couple of questions.

1 I have received a letter to say my surgeon has requested I see skin graft team in august is this to see if I will need skin graft because of the amount of surgery.

2 with the temporary in plant do I still have a knee cap.

3 will my hostpital stay be the same as having a knee replacement when it's done

4 And will it be harder to get mobile the next knee is done than it would for a regular knee replacement.
Thanks Clive.

1 I have received a letter to say my surgeon has requested I see skin graft team in august is this to see if I will need skin graft because of the amount of surgery.

2 with the temporary in plant do I still have a knee cap.

3 will my hospital stay be the same as having a knee replacement when it's done

4 And will it be harder to get mobile the next knee is done than it would for a regular knee replacement.
Thanks Clive.
1. Yes, probably. Not everyone needs a skin graft, but some do.

2. Yes, you still have a kneecap.

3. When it's re-done, your hospital stay will be about the same.

3. Maybe. But you'll get there in the end.

Hi! Did the doctor talk to you about why he is sending you? I had a skin graft (flap) to make sure there was enough flesh to cover all the work they were doing.

And everything else that Celle wrote :)

Hi! Did the doctor talk to you about why he is sending you? I had a skin graft (flap) to make sure there was enough flesh to cover all the work they were doing.

And everything else that Celle wrote :)
No I didn't know about it until my wife said I had a letter.
I did ask one of the nurses and she said possibly because I have had it opened up a few times they want to make sure further surgery doesn't leave an open wound.
Obviously when the appointment comes around I will have a few questions.

I have never had a skin graft so I know nothing about the procedure.

They took the graft from my right thigh to put over the right knee. I used to tease my surgeon that she could of taken plenty from my stomach...but she needed the lean stuff..LOL

There are pictures and details on my thread if you are interested :)

These knee spacers take some getting use to so clonky feels horrible.
My knee is so swollen and walking with a frame is making my wrists sore so i dont fully weight bear.
I have ordered a pair of wrist bands hope they we help.

You wouldn't think there would be such a big difference in the "feeling" but there is. I can remember the rubbing chalk or plaster feeling when I moved..and yes the clunky feeling. Remember to elevate and ice :)

Be sure your walker (frame) is properly adjusted for your height. Your wrists may hurt if it's too low because you tend to put more weight on them when you bend over. If you are bent forward when walking, try raising it up a bit and see if that is more comfortable.

Correct walker posture:
1596422108765.png

Incorrect walker posture:
1596422164507.png

I can hardly write this post
I had a reaction with rampicin which led to my joints swelling and being very painful.

While I was in hospital last week they said I should try it again as it works well with the other antibiotic I am on they said to monitor it to see how it goes.

All seem ok until yesterday when I woke up in the night with terible joint pains

Now I am unable to use my walker as my wrists are so painful it seems to creep up on me I should have gone with my gut feeling and refused.
I will never take rampicin again.

Last edited:
Oh my, your pain and suffering seems to know no bounds. I’m so sorry and it just isn’t fair.

Hugs and prayers that things will improve soon.

@Defender I am so sorry to hear you are still struggling! Please know you are in our thoughts. Hang in there!

I will continue to pray for you.

Defender,
My heart goes out to you, keeping you in my thoughts.

Defender, I'm so sorry to hear of this setback. Hopefully the drug will clear your system quickly and you'll be back on the road to recovery. Please take care of yourself and know that we're always here for you. You'll be in my prayers and I'll be looking for your next post.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom