Knee Infection* My L T K R Diary 2020

:yes!: How fortunate that Your surgeon was there!! Got everything crossed you make steady progress now, and things will ease off.

I'm glad you have finally seen your surgeon and he was able to put your mind at rest. Hopefully things will start to improve for you soon.

Still very swollen and painfull to put full weight on it.
20200418_123159.jpg

Oh my, that looks so painful. And you did see your surgeon in person, right? Is the swelling getting worse?

Oh my, that looks so painful. And you did see your surgeon in person, right? Is the swelling getting worse?
Yes I have seen my surgeon he didn't think it unusual.?
I don't know what to think anymore but I do know I am not going to improve my R O M with this swelling which seems to be not improving getting into a car is as difficult as it was the day I came home from hospital.
Getting me down done all I can seen the surgeon I just feel so alone and down.

I would feel pretty down at this point, too. When do you finish the antibiotic?

Finished antibiotics about a week ago.
Surgeon said there was no sign of infection.

Good to hear there is no sign of infection.

From sitting around to much I had swelling in my ankles, surgical side was greater. I did the following sequence in bed, of 5 deep slow breaths (think relaxation breathing), 5 gluteal sets 5 second hold, 5-10 ankle pumps, 5 quad sets (5 second hold).
This simple sequence has helped get the swelling down in my ankles, and it helped with my knee swelling after my revision.

This sequence is easy and gentle, and may help start moving the fluids in your knee.

That looks so painful. Have you tried massage therapy to try and move that fluid out of there.

I have tried massages with baby oil.
Seems reluctant to move.
If I walk about too much it aggravates it so just can't win.

he was pleased to see no sign of infection then said he would send a urgent referal to the hostpital.
I'm curious since your surgeon feels there is "no sign of infection".......did he take a fluid sample at any time to check for infection? Did he do blood work to check to see if it gave any indication of infection?

I agree you should be taking things easy and icing/elevating a lot. But you say you've been doing that and there has been no improvement in several weeks. That would seem to indicate something else may be going on and it might be appropriate to do these tests to be sure you had no infection. Since you're off the antibiotics now (you need to not be on antibiotics to get accurate readings from the blood tests), I suggest that if you only do gentle bends and stretches a couple of times a day along with some walking about the house, ice and elevate as much as possible, and nothing changes, then you need to get back with your surgeon and ask for these tests.

No blood tests or samples taken.
I don't know what to do for the best.
And of course this isn't a good time.
My surgeon was quick to get me out of the hostpital and let me go out the side door rather than go through the waiting room.

And of course this isn't a good time.
No this isn’t a good time, but they do need to look into this further. Just because there’s a serious virus out there doesn’t mean you can let other medical issues slip. I agree with Jamie, I would request blood work and a fluid draw, if you don’t begin to improve soon.

Yes I will give this a few more days then get in touch with the G P and see what can be done.

I agree that you need to get tested as soon as you can. You should not be this swollen this far out.

@Defender .... I've been meaning to write you about this new product to help with post-op swelling. It was developed in the UK and has been in use there for some time. It's just now being introduced into the USA. It's a wearable device that stimulates the muscles in your leg to get more blood flowing and reduce swelling. Very high-tech and completely non-invasive.

I suggest if your swelling continues that you ask your surgeon or perhaps your GP to see about trying this on your knee. It has had great results. I don't know how the NHS handles it's use....hopefully it would not be too difficult to get a prescription. You might need to be a bit assertive with your medical personnel if they've not heard of it before. But it does work in many cases and it might help you as well. Do some reading on the site I gave you so you understand the product before talking to your doctors. If you ever get to see them in person, you might print off some of the pages and take them in with you.

Went to A&E this afternoon was there from 3 pm till 7 pm.
They took x rays blood pressure blood sample.
They are going to call me around 10 am to tell me what time to go over they as they want to take a fluid sample from my knee and that has to be done in a operating theatre I can't eat anything till after the test
I pray they don't find an infection in the implant I really can't go through that again.
This pain is now off the scales I don't know how this is going to end through no fault of mine I kept calling them with my concerns they did nothing now look where I am.

I am so glad that you are finally going to get something done to find out what is wrong with your knee. It's good that you went. My prayers are with you.

I’m glad that you went to A &E and I pray you get answers that will lead to the best way to treat this.

I am thankful you are getting the attention you should have with your knee. I know it's unsettling to think about the fact that someone should have paid more attention to you sooner, but try to just focus on what information you have today and what your options are going forward. The most important thing is to get you out of this terrible pain. Keep after the doctors to be sure they don't let anything slide. It's time you get some real answers to this pain and swelling.

You haven't said.....are you running any kind of fever? If not, that's a good sign. Your knee doesn't appear hot and red which would be another good sign. Infection is still possible even without those symptoms. But you will know for sure with a fluid draw and bloodword. I forgot that in the UK drawing fluid from your knee has to be scheduled in an operating theater. Here in the US the surgeon can do that in his office, making things go a little faster. Hang in there! You're on the right track now to getting to the bottom of this.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks