BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. Your support makes a difference...BoneSmartie Member

Industry changes have drastically reduced orthopedic partner contributions, which for 13+ years supported the operation and development of BoneSmart.org.

Our patient-focused articles and world-class joint replacement community forum have helped millions of people. Your gift today provides the important funds necessary to keep this valuable resource online.

Donate Now
    Dismiss Notice

My Knee Guide - iPhone App To Help with Your Surgery Planning

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jamie, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Jamie

Jamie Administrator

United States United States
    We would like to introduce to you a new free iPhone app called My Knee Guide!

This app (which can be accessed on the iPhone, iPad or iPod) is designed to assist patients who are considering or currently undergoing knee replacement surgery. The app can be downloaded from iTunes from this link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-knee-guide/id614808450?mt=8

One of the key benefits of using My Knee Guide is that all of the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery are available in one place on your smartphone. It becomes your own personal support tool for the entire process.

We see My Knee Guide as a wonderful compliment to the information and support you'll find here on BoneSmart. We encourage you to download and take a good look at the app. We also welcome input on how it functions and helps you.

Here is a brief overview of the features of the My Knee Guide app:

Learning Center: This module provides extensive teaching about the most important aspects of knee replacement surgery that a patient would encounter. You can view four custom videos created for My Knee Guide. There is an x-ray vision center featuring interactive animations with x-rays (the before and after images are very cool). Additionally, you'll find an extensive and fully interactive checklist section to help you prepare for surgery. This checklist section is integrated to your personal surgery timeline (see the next section). Notes can be taken on every section of the learning center so you can record information that is important for you and have it easily available.

My Surgery Timeline: When you enter your day of surgery, a customized calendar timeline is created. This timeline will teach you about all the aspects of your surgery at the time that is most appropriate. It can inform you about each timeline item on the specific day with a push notification (alarm). The time line delivers safety notifications, links to the learning center and much more. The timeline can be customized with your pre-op and post-op visits to your surgeon. Custom events can be added. All of the events can be synced with your iPhone's internal calendar.

Contacts: You can easily search for a local surgeon, hospital, home health care agency, rehab facility, pharmacy and medical equipment supplier. The app uses GPS technology to target only those resources in close proximity to you, making it easy to get the specific help you need. Most of the sections have extensive ratings, safety information and surveys attached to them to help you make more informed decisions. If you've been on the BoneSmart forum for any length of time, you'll remember seeing a lot of posts from members trying to find a good home health care agency, home PT, etc... Now you have easy access to the most important Medicare ratings for these facilities (filtered to provide the most important data for knee replacement patients). You can add any of these facilities to your custom address book. All the entries in the address book can be imported or exported to your iPhone contacts.

Stories: Much like we have on the BoneSmart forum, there are two topics where My Knee Guide users can post their experiences: 1)“I decided to have my knee replaced when” and 2)“How my life changed after knee replacement”. This section is not designed or intended to function as a forum such as BoneSmart. Rather, the Stories section is more of an area to inspire and empower others going through this process.

There are many other details of the app you can explore. One example of a unique feature is found in the checklist section: “Pre-op questions to ask your OS”. If you tell the app that an assistant to the surgeon (resident, PA, ARNP) will be seeing you after surgery instead of your surgeon, the app automatically displays this name in the custom timeline to the user after the surgery instead of the surgeon.

My Knee Guide is in the process of creating a web site that will mimic all of the functionality of the app. Once completed, all information entered into the app or website (notes, timeline, contacts, etc..) will be live and accessible regardless of how you access My Knee Guide.

You can follow this link to an article that BoneSmart has coordinated with My Knee Guide titled: “Will my knee be straightened with surgery?”

Here is a list of some of the other contact pages for My Knee Guide (for your reference):

www.mykneeguide.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/KneeGuide

YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/MyKneeGuide

Twitter: @mykneeguide: twitter.com/mykneeguide

• Like Like x 4
      Last edited: May 19, 2014
    • Brownie51

Brownie51 Post-Grad

Jamie having trouble getting the new app my knee guide to open up on my iPad. Is it only for iPhones? I have a droid but macbook and ipad. That does it, I must get an iPhone. just recently switched to droid ugh.
      I did report my home health place to my doctor and the secretary but I am going to go over it when I go in. This office likes to use Universal, but that is one I used with my other knee and had the PT who only showed up for half of our appointments! I should call UCLA and let them know how strange the care has been. I reported it once and they notified the company but things only changed for the specific thing I complained about and then they went back to their normal business. Also like I said, it's so tiring complaining about things all the time! I wish I had a husband who would make those calls!

• Jamie

Jamie Administrator

If you're having problems getting MyKneeGuide to work on your iPad, the best thing to do is post the problem on their Facebook page. They have technical support available via that site and I frankly don't have the expertise to help you.

Here is a link to the Facebook page.

• renatelynne

renatelynne Member

Anything coming for droid?

• RunA42K

RunA42K Post-Grad

Last evening I explored through the entire app. I found it to be very insightful and full of knowledge. Even though I've already gone through TKR I still learned from it. Most importantly my pre surgery visit is November 20 and I will use the app guide for asking questions at that pre op visit. The first go around they always say, "do you have any questions?" Quite honesty people or me anyway just didn't know what to ask. Questions come afterwards when you are experiencing things that you did not realize would happen to you. I think this app does help to prepare well in a very easy to understand way. After the first TKR I wrote a list of questions as I thought of them until my post op visit arrived. Sadly my OS was backing out of the room, trying to move on to the next patient before I could ask all the questions on my list (I only had about 7 questions), but I am done with him now. Ironically I found that doctor and my new revisionist the app although a good 50 miles apart north and south!

• Dlekapj

Dlekapj Junior Member

This app was made by one of my surgeon's partners!!

• Like Like x 1
      • nancydear

nancydear New Member

I d o not have an IPhone, is there any way I can get this information?
        Thanks. I am planning TKR in May of this year.

• Jamie

Jamie Administrator

Sadly right now it's only available for iPhones...no android application yet. It's my understanding it's in the works, but don't know exactly how long it might be before implementation. Probably not soon enough for you. Let me tag @Orthodoc to see if he can provide an update.

• Like Like x 1
        • Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

Jamie,

Thanks for tagging me. The best way to access My Knee Guide for you would be through the website: www.mykneeguide.com. If you follow the menu in the header, it will bring you to all the same services that are provided on the iPhone app.

Orthodoc

• 3LITTLEMONKEYS

3LITTLEMONKEYS New Member

Thank you so much!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • LexiLou

LexiLou New Member

This app doesn't seem to be available anymore. I searched for it and no luck.

• Orthodoc

Orthodoc Forum Advisor

Its still there. If you are accessing the app store from an iPad then you may need to specify that you are looking for an iPhone app (although the app works on the iPad as well). We actually will have an update coming out to the app in the next week or two to fix some bugs including routine maintenance for iOS updates.

Let me know if you still have any issues finding the app.

Orthodoc

• DUTCH

DUTCH Member

The website has much more info than the app.

• Jamie

Jamie Administrator

@DUTCH ... the My Knee Guide app is not the same as the BoneSmart app. It has a different purpose entirely and is designed to be a good partner for BoneSmart. If a person is a heavy user of their phone or iPad, they may want to download both apps to use.

• DUTCH

DUTCH Member

Sorry Jamie. I guess my post was not clear enough. I was referring to the MyKneeGuide website. It contains far more information than the MyKneeGuide iPhone/iPad app. See here to see to what I was referring: https://www.mykneeguide.com/