TKR My Journey

I had a monovisc injection last Dec and it lasted about 2-3 weeks. I was hoping it would last longer but nope. My father in law was lucky, after having one TKR he was able to keep the other knee going with regular injections and he's now 90!! Some people are just lucky and it works for them.

I wish you continued healing on this long road of recovery! :prayer:

Update: was moving forward with replacement of left knee. Went to have lab work done and A1C was higher than my surgeon accepted. Visit with endocrinologist last week who doesn’t understand why the surgeon refuses to do the surgery as the only endocrinology guideline is that glucose level be under 200 on the day of surgery. He is now helping me find a surgeon who is willing to listen and learn that the reason my results are high is because of the debilitating pain I am experiencing.

My right knee is suffering because at less than 8 months, it is not yet strong or stable enough to compensate for the left knee. Nothing helps with the pain so I am just trying to be patient and accept what is.

My surgery was also jeopardized at my pre op consultation by an AIC OF 7.6 despite being on 1,000 mg of Metformin. My surgeon interpreted my numbers as being uncontrolled and said the risk of infection was too high for him. He changed the scheduled date of surgery and gave me 6 weeks to get it under control. That was the wake up call I needed to change my eating habits and I went from 7.6 to 6:7 in 5 weeks with the help of the 8 week Blood Sugar Plan. Plan is strict and first week was tough but then easy.
I’ve stuck to it pretty much and last AIC was 6.3. I Am now on 500 metformin and have healed well. Now I can walk more and generally more active I am hoping to get back to pre diabetic category in 2022. Good luck to you.

I’m a type 1 adult onset and am on an insulin pump and CGM. My A1C prior to my first replacement was 6.7. The trauma from the surgery and the increased pain in the other knee is what has me battling numbers. I continue with my nutrition plan but there are many things that affect blood glucose levels.

I’m glad to hear you’re on the road to recovery! I plan to be so next month.

And just so you know, once a diabetic, always a diabetic. There is no “return” to being pre-diabetic.

@FourCats My husband is a type 1diabetic and just got on the Dexcom less than a year ago. It has been a life saver for him. He is not on the pump.
it is possible for type 2’s to get back to normal or pre-diabetic levels on A1C just by controlling their diets and many can come off oral medication and insulin. The thinking used to be that type 2 could be reversed but now they say it is permanent even if you get your A1C to normal levels.

Last edited:
@Sks1997
@FourCats My husband is a type 1diabetic and just got on the Dexcom less than a year ago. It has been a life saver for him. He is not on the pump.
it is possible for type 2’s to get back to normal or pre-diabetic levels on A1C just by controlling their diets and many can come off oral medication and insulin. The thinking used to be that type 2 could be reversed but now they say it is permanent even if you get your A1C to normal levels.
I do agree with you regarding type 2s being able to get back to normal or pre-diabetic levels with diet control, there is also another factor to consider along with diet and that is whether your diabetes may actually be caused by medication treating another illness. In my case a medication called Xeljanx used in the treatment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis raised my A1C to diabetic range and also increased my blood pressure to dangerous levels- these are extremely rare side effects which subsided within 4-5 weeks of stopping the medication. It took over 6 months of being on the drug to trigger the side effects , it seemed to be the longer you took it the stronger the effect on your system.The only side effect left from the treatment is extremely dry , flaky skin but I can live with that. However it does leave me without any treatment for my Psoriatic Arthritis going forward, having already gone the route of Humira etc.

Greetings @FourCats. Like you, I am scheduled to get my second TKR in February (mine will be on the 16th). Also, like you, my left knee has been deteriorating more rapidly since being asked to “help out” my rehabbing right knee. I am definitely ready to replace this cranky diva!

Your initial recovery was impressive and seemed to move more quickly than mine. Hopefully your second knee will follow the same path!

I look forward to sharing our stories as we begin our February journeys.

Received some pre-op information yesterday… different surgeon, different hospital…whew!! Fortunately, I have positive things from my first knee to center on rather than trying to “plan” for how this will all work out. Starting to make to-do list of things to get done to ready my home including some meal prep and early spring cleaning. Keeping my fingers crossed that the skyrocketing number of COVID-19 cases doesn’t postpone my surgery.

That is good news!! It's always a relief to get a surgery date, that way you can plan ahead, plus being your 2nd knee you know what to expect and what is needed, still daunting nevertheless but at last you xan plan your recovery xx

Had my clearance visit with my PCP yesterday and sailed right through. Next will be pre-op with surgeon then hospital where I will talk with anesthesiologist about my insulin pump and CGM.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads