TKR My Journey

The left knee is feeling better, not nearly as painful as the past week was. I've been taking it easy, not able to do any work outside because of all the rain. I figure since I'm the only one here except for my cats, the dust and hairballs can just accumulate!!!

Too bad we can't train our kitties to clean out their litter boxes and vacuum up their hair! I ended up buying a Roomba to help me during my recovery. That was a huge help I still use it daily to get up the surface hair and dirt.

I found that the vibration of the riding mower really hurt my knee in its young days. Also, pushing down the accelerator was uncomfortable. You are doing fantastic to be doing all you are doing so early in your recovery!

Fortunately my mower has controls that are on the left But I’m no where near ready for yard work.

The left knee is feeling better, not nearly as painful as the past week was. I've been taking it easy, not able to do any work outside because of all the rain. I figure since I'm the only one here except for my cats, the dust and hairballs can just accumulate!!!
I'm glad your left knee is feeling a bit better. It's not unusual for the "good" knee to react by being painful when it's had to do extra work. It deserves a rest now, as you are doing.

As for the dust bunnies:
dust bunny.png

Dust bunnies are your friends. They show you've been resting properly.

I just checked the EOBs related to my surgery. The hospital was over $108,000 and the OS was over $4800. There are also the claims for anesthesia, radiology, and home health services as well as the pre-op visits with my PCP, dentist, and lab work. This is a really expensive knee!!!

I had my RTKR on Thursday, April 22. The original plan was that I would be discharged home that day but because of severe nausea and vomiting due to the pain, I spent the night. I passed PT and OT on Friday and arrived home early afternoon. My sister :) has been with me and will be here until noon on Monday. Home health PT and nurse will be coming each day to work with me.

The first two days were terrible. This morning, however, I feel much better and stronger. I am able to get my leg up into the bed or on the ottoman without using the strap and have a much smoother gait with the walker.

I did make the tough decision to board my four kitties for a couple of weeks for safety reasons plus I don’t have to worry about them as I continue to build up my strength.

My follow up appointment with my surgeon is May 4.
Hi FourCats- I am 2 weeks post-op for a RTKR on 6/9/2021. I'm a first time cat mama and made the choice to board my girl too. I miss her so much but I'm reluctant (scared?) to bring her home just yet. She unexpectedly pounces and latches onto my calf, most times with her nails. Ten days prior to surgery she pounced with her teeth which scared the be-jesus out of me. I know this is not a cat forum, but there seems to be a good number of fur baby parents on Bone Smart. Any insight or personal experience with a cat that sees their owner as prey are appreciated
My biggest concern is she pounces, breaks the skin increasing risk of infection. Thank you!

Hi @Jewlz1. How old is your cat? It sounds like she’s young and full of energy and mischief. I brought mine home after my first post-op visit with my OS and had the wound vac (which had a long tube I’m sure my girls would have enjoyed playing with) and my staples removed. My first rule was that they would be banned from my bedroom which is still the case. They love to chase my moving feet under the covers and often play with their claws out so no more in the bed for a while. The second rule was I always had something protective covering my legs so when they were in my lap the incision would be protected. I used a thick towel for the first month then switched to a lap quilt. You may need to have someone help you keep her nails trimmed so they’re not so sharp. If you don’t have a laser light, get one! You can keep her playing while pooping her out while you rest in your chair.

66 days have passed and I continue to have stiffness and swelling (especially if I have been on my feet for any length of time). The worst swelling is in the foot not the knee. I tend to elevate and ice the foot. Should I be Icing the knee?

And there’s definitely a change in the weather coming on! Ugh!!!

FourCats
I know how you feel. I was hoping to have an enjoyable summer, but, my other knee has gotten so bad, that I will have to have it replaced sooner than I hoped!
I’m beginning to wonder if the right leg has been compensating all this time which caused it’s demise .
Anyway, best of luck to you! Will you get your R knee done?

Last edited by a moderator:
My Sister’s leg and foot stayed swollen for a full year. I would continue to ice.

Hi @Jewlz1. How old is your cat? It sounds like she’s young and full of energy and mischief. I brought mine home after my first post-op visit with my OS and had the wound vac (which had a long tube I’m sure my girls would have enjoyed playing with) and my staples removed. My first rule was that they would be banned from my bedroom which is still the case. They love to chase my moving feet under the covers and often play with their claws out so no more in the bed for a while. The second rule was I always had something protective covering my legs so when they were in my lap the incision would be protected. I used a thick towel for the first month then switched to a lap quilt. You may need to have someone help you keep her nails trimmed so they’re not so sharp. If you don’t have a laser light, get one! You can keep her playing while pooping her out while you rest in your chair.
Hi Four Cats. Just now reading this and I so appreciate your response. Bama will be 5 the end of August. I adopted her at the start of Covid lockdown and no back story other than she was relinquished to the shelter from her 2nd family. All of your ideas are great and easy to follow. I try to trim my cats nails every 4-6 weeks; Bama's grow really fast! All I need to do is get the laser! I'm feeling better about bringing her home.

How is your healing coming along?

@MARYCOOL I am not sure yet about having the other knee done. It doesn’t grind as bad as the other one did but I have been having more pain in it than my surgical knee. I think it is trying to adapt to having a partner that can carry its share of the load! I see my OS at the end of July so will discuss it with him.

I iced regularly for 12 weeks 24/7 then still iced at night for a month or two more. It really helped @FourCats .

I just checked the EOBs related to my surgery. The hospital was over $108,000 and the OS was over $4800. There are also the claims for anesthesia, radiology, and home health services as well as the pre-op visits with my PCP, dentist, and lab work. This is a really expensive knee!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My BKTR all in was around $100K including 25 sessions with PT. I also was in the hospital for 3 nights.

The insurance negotiated price is much lower than that and my portion was pretty small in comparison.

My wife has gone through something similar like you with her amputation. Her other leg and back got really really mad when she was able to walk properly on the prosthetic again. She is 17 months removed from that and there isn't anything she doesn't do. I won't let her climb ladders but she does everything else!

I haven't noticed parts of my body getting angry as much as I have noticed mild aches and pains from walking upright for the first time in decades. They aren't "bad" pains, just waking up things that haven't been used in awhile. I thought for sure my hips and back would go into shock but I've been fortunate that hasn't happened yet.

Sounds like to me that you are doing really well despite some pain elsewhere.

I wish I could comment on the cats. I grew up with one but I am highly allergic to them. Not that I don't like them, I play with the neighbors cat all of the time then pound the antihistamines =).

Merlin

Dust bunnies are your friends. They show you've been resting properly.

We have hardwood floors and the moment I could get on the floor I cleaned out from under the beds. Either that or my wife will do it.

Do you know what are in "dust bunnies"? EWWWWWWW!!!!

Do you know what are in "dust bunnies"? EWWWWWWW!!!!
Of course I know what is in dust bunnies. Dust, hair, dead skin cells, sometimes parts of old spider webs - nothing that doesn't ordinarily collect on the floor of any house.

My post was a light-hearted way of saying that you can - and should - ignore the dust bunnies for a few weeks, while you are supposed to be resting as part of your recuperation. At that stage, resting is more important than cleaning.
I wasn't suggesting you leave them there for ever.

FourCats, I'm chuckling, too, as I'm wondering if any of your cats like to lick your ice packs!? I gave back my ice machine borrowed from a friend, and use these heavy, dark blue 11" x 18" ice packs now. My cat likes to jump up between my knees and lick the ice pack when there is still condensation on it!

I used my herbal/CBD salve after a busy day trying to be "normal" today, and am about to go get my ice pack now!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back