TKR My Journey

She, good for you! Glad you didn’t have to use the push mower! Even after all these weeks,I doubt I would have the endurance for that!

Sound fantastic - I’m just at 4 week mark and starting to get bone aches which are more annoying than the post op pain !!!
I too am sit to stand - we call PT puppy training as he is rehab in sit stand and walk .
I realised my limitation today after a trip to the super market - knee was not happy at all.
Did you get boney metal knee pain at all ?

I had my PT discharge and ROM in right knee is 120. The left “good” knee is 125.

I didn't get the farewell graduation because my insurance cut me off but it sounds like you are doing really well. I know that comes with a lot of hard work so keep it up!

Sound fantastic - I’m just at 4 week mark and starting to get bone aches which are more annoying than the post op pain !!!
I too am sit to stand - we call PT puppy training as he is rehab in sit stand and walk .
I realised my limitation today after a trip to the super market - knee was not happy at all.

For the first 8 weeks or so I would swear I could feel metal on my bone. It's an odd feeling but I didn't pay it any attention and it has since gone away.

As others have commented here, when doing the exercises things seem to be okay but when we go to the store or do some other normal task it seems to bother us more than you would think it should.

My theory on that is that when we are doing exercises we are focused on the knees but when we go to the store, we are focused on everything but our knees. So we tend to forget to work on the way we walk, turn, etc.

I've taken to incorporating some of the exercises that they taught me whenever I move around the house. For example: When I go up the stairs, I be sure to bend each leg as much as I can before placing it on the step to push myself up. When coming down the stairs I focus on straightening my leg as much as I can before stepping down. It all looks quite awkward but it has seemed to help me take better steps.

The other day I was in a large store and I was doing knee lifts as I walked. People must have thought I as nuts but I don't care. I really try to consciously focus on taking good steps and walking with turns properly.

My wife had an amputation over a year ago, right during COVID. She had ZERO PT. Her prosthetist told her that your brain locks in the new gait in the first 10,000 steps and that it was very important to take proper steps with proper posture. If she is wearing a long dress or slacks, you can't tell she has a fake leg. We worked really hard with that in mind and I carried that philosophy over to my recovery and it seems to be working.

For the first 8 weeks or so I would swear I could feel metal on my bone. It's an odd feeling but I didn't pay it any attention and it has since gone away.

As others have commented here, when doing the exercises things seem to be okay but when we go to the store or do some other normal task it seems to bother us more than you would think it should.

My theory on that is that when we are doing exercises we are focused on the knees but when we go to the store, we are focused on everything but our knees. So we tend to forget to work on the way we walk, turn, etc.

I've taken to incorporating some of the exercises that they taught me whenever I move around the house. For example: When I go up the stairs, I be sure to bend each leg as much as I can before placing it on the step to push myself up. When coming down the stairs I focus on straightening my leg as much as I can before stepping down. It all looks quite awkward but it has seemed to help me take better steps.

The other day I was in a large store and I was doing knee lifts as I walked. People must have thought I as nuts but I don't care. I really try to consciously focus on taking good steps and walking with turns properly.

My wife had an amputation over a year ago, right during COVID. She had ZERO PT. Her prosthetist told her that your brain locks in the new gait in the first 10,000 steps and that it was very important to take proper steps with proper posture. If she is wearing a long dress or slacks, you can't tell she has a fake leg. We worked really hard with that in mind and I carried that philosophy over to my recovery and it seems to be working.
That sounds brilliant - I am imagining a very funny walk through the store .
i make sure I wear shorts when I’m outso everyone sees the scar and gives me space.
min the garden and round the house I exaggerate every step too.
themetallic feeling is wierd but I’m sure it will go like you say / just need to sort the toothache pain in joint.
keep intouch x

@MerlinWizard i haven’t had the metal knee pain but I sure have a few “zingers” as my nerves wake up!

Feeling the blues … now that I’m ready and able to go to a local park for some walking the weather has become so oppressive that it makes me nauseous to be out of doors. At 6:00 this morning it was 78 degrees with humidity at 98 percent. :sad::sad::sad:

Hot and humid here, as well. But cooler weather on the way for me and hopefully for you! Cheers!

I am not sure it's "metal pain" but it's an odd feeling. It was like I could feel it healing but not like other broken bones I have had. Someone said like a "toothache" and I don't have a lot of experience with that but I can imagine that has to be pretty close based on my wife's description of those.

It's been mid to high 90's here and we finally got a reprieve yesterday, it was only 91 =). We are having August like weather with the high humidity but this week is supposed to be more "normal" for June.

What we really need here is rain. I live in the country and I enjoy seeing the crops come in. They look good right now but if we don't get some rain soon in a few weeks they will dry up and they aren't calling for rain this week at all. It also puts a damper in camp fires. We usually have one a week but it's too dry to do that right now.

Marking eight weeks with an unhappy knee and shin on the “good” leg. No, I haven’t done anything new or different. I think it’s angry because it’s not having to work as hard as it had been and is trying to adjust itself to having a partner that carries its share of the load. Not sure whether to use hot or cold so will probably try both off and on today.

Maybe it’s jealous of your new knee :tantrum2: .Feel better!

Really discouraged with the pain in my left knee and shin. The leg is so crooked and there are a couple of spots that are “sunken” for lack of a better descriptor. Ice definitely is better than heat but the pain is constant. The knee occasionally weakens when I’m walking to the point that I worry about it giving out.

Good news is that the right knee feels stronger every day. I’m concerned that the issues with the left leg might cause problems with my new knee.

And are you considering replacement for the left knee?

I’m not sure it is just a knee issue. I’m going to pamper it this weekend and see what Monday brings. If it has not improved or has gotten worse, I’ll call to schedule an appointment with my OS. I did injure this knee in 2012 when I slipped from a ladder, no fractures or tears, just trauma. I wore an immobilizer for three weeks and it was fine … well, maybe not. I’m beginning to wonder if the right leg has been compensating all this time which caused it’s demise and now the left is being retraumatized trying to adjust. All I know is it hurts.

Took a pain pill last night so I could get some sleep. ☹️

I’ll be praying for you :prayer: . Did you get any sleep with the pain?

Not much and this morning my back hurts … I guess I should have known the smooth ride for the first eight weeks was too good to be true.

Nah! You’re just hitting a little bump in the road! You’ve made great progress! Hang in there.

Not a bump … a sinkhole.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back