TKR My journey so far RTKR

Spartan68TKR

Country
United States United States
Hello everyone, I just turned 55 and had my RTKR on January 11, and I must say its been tough but not to tough. I stopped taking pain meds after week one, mainly because I hate taking pain meds due to the effects they have. I had my 1st appointment with surgeon and he was thrilled that I achieved 0 degrees straightening and 90 degrees bending and said I was ahead of schedule in my progress. I just finished my in home therapy and Monday was my 1st outpatient therapy. The problem I am having is taking it slow as doctors and therapy suggest. I just wanna push it till Im better, but Monday was an eye-opener for me. I went and walked 1mile before therapy (A first), and afterwards I felt quite sore. Well I went into therapy later that day and struggled mightily, as everything was just really sore, but I pushed through and had a decent therapy session. So, after 3 weeks, I feel better but its still hard to get into cars and sit in a chair for a long time. When does it get easier to get into cars and when does sleeping get better, as that also is still an issue?

Hi and Welcome!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision,
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

The problem I am having is taking it slow as doctors and therapy suggest. I just wanna push it till Im better, but Monday was an eye-opener for me.
You are lucky that you have a medical team that is encouraging you to go slowly with this recovery, many of us didn’t. The surgery causes a lot of trauma to the whole leg, which needs lots of time to heal. Pushing through pain to accomplish things can backfire, causing a setback, so try to be careful and patient. Don’t look at going slow as doing practically nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal. Remember, this recovery is long, but it is temporary. Give your knee the time it needs and you’ll be back to doing the things you love. Pushing more does not equal faster healing.

I just wanna push it till Im better
If you spend any time in the recovery threads you will know that trying to push through this recovery is totally counterproductive. Pushing only results in increased swelling, increased pain and more importantly increased frustration.

Our experience here with literally thousands of patients has shown that the slow and steady approach works every time. You have good ROM already. Focus on gentle stretches and slow building up your stamina. Plenty of time for strength training when that knee has healed.

You might want to check out Panammaniac’s Recovery Thread. Everyone's recovery timeline is different. The knee stiffness and getting in and out of the car was a challenge. I think around Dec it was getting better for me and now at almost 6-months it is a second thought. Nothing like it was. It takes time for the swelling inside and out to resolve and for your knee to heal. Plus, the cold weather seems to be a hindrance. You are doing very well but maybe pushing yourself too hard. I had trouble sleeping as many of us did. At 10 weeks my OS PA said it would get better. Everything seemed to ache as soon as I would try to lay down. I really didn't do much about it until I saw my PCP. She gave me something to sleep and educated me on how much ibuprofen to take. I found my OS was not helpful with this. Every day is a new day.

If you rush everything it will take you longer to fully recover. You will have setbacks each time you try to "push it". It happened (briefly) to me for my first tkr.

I think I agree with all of you. Monday seemed to have given me a setback as this weeks therapy has been overly difficult, and afterwards my knee just gives out. I think Im just going to rest and do minor stretches the rest of this weekend and through the weekend and try to slow it down a bit.

You don't even have to do stretches. Heel pumps maybe while icing and elevating. Your knee is begging for ice, elevation and rest. Our surgeries were the same day. I've done this before and learned the hard way how it feels to join the ODIC....over did it club. We still have a lot if healing ahead of us. Over working the knee causes so much swelling. And it's swelling we can't necessarily see....its inside. We feel it as the tight band vice grip.
I've just started PT. Very gentle PT 1x week. I feel better every day. You will, too!

Beachy, great advice about icing, elevation, and rest. I find sitting to be my worst enemy which makes swelling increase more than outpatient PT. I am lucky that my physical therapist is reasonable although still somewhat painful. I am done with my 6 week requirement but want my PT to request more on a report to my surgeon next week. This is because I need more strength overall around my new knee. I am 2.5 months post op.

My PT said sitting with the leg down is the worst.
You are further ahead of me in recovery, but if its uncomfortable try not to do it.
If you are taking walks everyday that will strengthen your muscles. You have 10 more months of recovery. Strength training can wait.
My bff got into the gym at 2 months post op because she thought she needed to strength train. Fast forward 1 1/2 yrs. her replacement is messed up.

lemonCheesecake, beachy is right. At 2.5 months I wouldn't worry about strengthening. I was told every month to increase my walking. Sometimes it was just around the top of my driveway. Are you already going up and down stairs? Give yourself some time to heal.

lemonCheesecake, beachy is right. At 2.5 months I wouldn't worry about strengthening. I was told every month to increase my walking. Sometimes it was just around the top of my driveway. Are you already going up and down stairs? Give yourself some time to heal.
Yes, I am doing stairs quite easily now, I began doing those early on so its no problem now. I have continued my walks and for once today I feel quite good after icing and taking my pain meds. Im looking forward to my PT today, I think it will be a little easier not feeling any pain. But, now I am starting to understand that going slow is not a bad thing its more necessary so I heal correctly.

A belated Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope your PT session went well on Friday.
I am starting to understand that going slow is not a bad thing its more necessary so I heal correctly.
So true! There is a saying that floats around the forum "Go slow now to go fast later"
Have a great week…hope to hear from you soon!

Well, with therapy in full swing and my taking walks each day Im doing pretty well considering Id say. Therapy has me using 1lb weights for some of my exercises now and Im walking about a mile every other day. Putting shoes on is getting slightly better but still a bit of a challenge, and sitting with my legs down still hurts a lot. If I could only get the sitting to not hurt Id be good I think. I also still use my cane because its still kind of hard to get around without it.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How is your recovery coming along almost one month after you last posted? Hopefully all you mentioned above is slowly becoming less of a challenge and you're feeling stronger and steadier on your feet.
We're still rooting for you. I hope you have a nice week!
@Spartan68TKR

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks