TKR My Journey as of 12/16/13 - Over 1 Year and Still Trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor brought me the ladder this afternoon, he is about 70, super nice guy, he wanted to take care of it, but I though if he falls it may hurt him more at 70 than me at 51. You two hang in there and enjoy life, it will get better. Take your time and do what is rigth for you.

Hi @DogLoverx3 - just woken up and read the post about your new home. Hurrah! I am so happy for you, it sounds perfect. The next couple of months will whizz by. What is it with people who live in hot climates and fireplaces? I have come across it before and don't understand ..... Perhaps its the same as us having palm trees in our wet and soggy climate?
Like NM27, although I have heard the term Escrow I wasn't sure what it meant. Like an idiot I did not scroll down for the next few messages which was my Big Mistake of the day! I asked my husband what Escrow was, and have just had a 30 minute thesis on Escrow and how it works. If I had not been dozing off into my breakfast cereal while he was talking I think I would be a world authority on it by now.
The wine went down a treat last night, I pedalled away on my exercise wheels with renewed vigour and once in bed, having got over my initial 'fidgety legs', slept in my usual 2 hours + 3 hours + 2 hours pattern. Don't know if it was the wine, but each time I woke it was just to reposition and straight back to sleep again. Yay!
Talk later
X

OMG @dogwheels , are you married to an engineer by any chance? I had an ex boyfriend that heaven forbid I asked anything and I would get an entire dissertation of the history and ridiculous side notes on it. Seriously, I could ask something simple like 'what kind of bird is that' (not that I'd ever ask 'what kind of bird is that') and I'd be in for an hour of nonsense. I love your sense of humour and how you described nodding off into your cereal. I think we'd get along just fine, you and me! :) I'm a big fan of making lists in my head when I'm being bored to tears. ;-) Sooo glad you were able to sleep last night! And enjoy wine!!

I know, I know, regarding the fireplace....I'll be able to use it one month out of the year but I just love them. I think they make a house feel more like a home and I still hold onto my apparent delusion that I may meet 'my one' one of these days and be able to have romantic evenings in front of the fireplace with him. The more likely scenario is that I'll be roasting marshmallows alone at age 60 in

@Billy , good decision on the step ladder. Dodgy knee vs 70 year old neighbor on that thing ..... tough call.

So I guess expecting 2 nights of decent sleep in a row was too much to ask. Finally nodded off around 4am only to wake up twice on my own and then have a friend text me at 7am. Awesome. Who on earth thinks I want to hear from them at 7am on a Sunday morning unless it's to inform me that I've won the lottery? :heehee:

@Nana moon 27 & @Ellejay & @yiayia3 , I hope you're all enjoying a nice day over the pond! For some reason, I am craving scones this morning. I think I blame you all. :umm:All that talk of pancakes the other day. OH! I had my feet up on the wall the other evening and took a pic, but as I'm blonde (with lots of grey 'highlights'), I couldn't remember how to post it on here. Couldn't figure out if it helped with my swelling or not, but it certainly confused the dogs to see. :puppysmooze:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @DogLoverx3 great news about your house so pleased for you a new start,yummy scones for tea with lots of jam and cream.Its a beautiful here today have been sitting in the garden enjoying the sun,have a great day Terri

@DogLoverx3 Great news about the house --we have a fireplace too! We had pancakes with with blueberry preserves and vanilla bean yoghurt for breakfast --yummy! Another few weeks and we will be able to have breakfast outdoors :)

Hi @DogLoverx3 I've had a lovely afternoon. I have sat with my leg elevated in the garden with my scar and knees exposed to the sun. Elder granddaughter went out with her friends in the end and husband took granddaughter to the country park next door but one to our house to play on the adventure equipment. It so nice to have the sun and warmth back. My chest feels ever so much better today. It's just every time even with food, I take the large antibiotic capsule and i end up with awful heart burn x x x x

I'm ever so excited about your new house and really laughed at dogwheels post. My dad does exactly the same. It's a full on lecture even if I kind of know the answer x x x x x

I understand the craving for scones yummy. I have to say the pancakes were a major success in my house. I was so proud to say I made them all myself with no packet mixes, or pre made, mass manufactured stuff. I definitely fel better today although the insomnia it was ridiculous til gone 5am this morning. I'd love to have seen your pics. All you have to do is press the black rectangle saying upload file-choose existing-click on photo and that is it xox xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo :puppysmooze:

Hi @DogLoverx3 - just caught your post as I have nipped upstairs to do the 'Ellejay's Elevation Up the Wall' during the halftime interval, as we are watching the rugby on TV. Husband thinks life is getting better as I offered to make him bacon sarnies (sandwiches) and a cup of tea, which is our usual menu while watching, so he didn't miss any of the action. Wish we were actually at the match as it is beeeautiful here today and we don't live very far from the stadium. You would probably find it cold - but for us it is lovely. Spring flowers and sunshine. Never mind - next year I will be there.

No, OH is not an engineer. Good guess though - I wont bore you with details. Everybody laughs as we are literally like chalk and cheese - he is really clever, quiet and serious, while I am arty, very loud, and outgoing ..... there's a surprise, bet you didn't guess that!

As for cosy, romantic evenings in front of a fire. We do have a lovely fireplace but ............ err, no .... that would be me sitting there in the warmth and flickering firelight, and him snoring his head off!

I had to laugh about you making lists when you are bored and have 'switched off' - my usual one is to think of how I would spend my money if I had a lottery win!

Oh dear, I seem to have won today's prize for the most exclamation marks in a post!!!!!!!!! Also, I have been rambling on for so long, now NM27 has arrived. Hi @Nana moon 27 - glad your day has turned out better. I have not been able to sit out in the garden as husband has decided to woodstain all our garden furniture. Theres only the hammocks and I cant see me getting in one of those easily at the moment.:heehee:

Aaagghh a HUGE bumble bee has just flown in my window and sat on my laptop ...... spring must be on its way.

England has won the match. Hubbie is happy. All is right with the world.

Talk later all ......
X

Good girl @Nana moon 27 ! I bet the sun did wonders for you and I'm proud of you for taking it easy today! Unless you tell me you've been up and down the stairs a dozen times, you've done great today and I bet your knee and chest will thank you for it. Antibiotics can make you very nauseous - be sure to take them with food.

@dogwheels , I have tried, exactly once, to sit in a hammock. Let's suffice it to say that it didn't end well. My weather is lovely today - sunny and 75. I'm going to take my laptop out back and enjoy for a bit.

Wait a minute? YOU outgoing and boisterous? That's just plain crazy talk! Sounds as if you're both very quick witted though and everything else just evens out. I truly believe that opposites attract. Find one thing that you have in common and then find someone who brings things to the table that you don't. Of course, as I'm still single, I could be totally wrong about that theory, but whatever. ;-)

Mmmmm, @Chihuahuan , I love vanilla bean anything! Your breakfast sounds divine! Much better than my Luna Bar. No, dogwheels, not Mars Bar, Luna Bar :heehee:

Thanks for stopping by @yiayia3 ! I'm glad you're enjoying a nice day. I love to 'watch' all you ladies banter back and forth! :)

Well, my knee is quite stiff today (yes, again). As I am now through seasons 1 & 2 of House of Cards so no idea what to do with myself the rest of the day! ;-) xoxoxo

Hi @DogLoverx3, I have been upstairs exactly four times today I total and that's only because I reduced the amount of tea I've been drinking and hung on as long as I could. Ha ha ha! The sun has done wonders for my well being and mentally I was great until earlier this evening, I'll post this on my thread to save hijacking yours!!!!!:puppysmooze:

On stairs, I did them one day at a friends, not thinking. Whoa how did I get down here:yikes:, no railing!
Went back up 1/2 flight, and did it again :heehee:. Was not a fluke. Hmmm look at those stairs, they are not to code, they have a 5 inch rise, most have 8 inches. Well it was a start, I can do stairs with no problem now. It is these baby steps that keep us going.
PS the Lemon Ice at Culvers is wonderful! Not to sweet, not to tart.

How sweet @Nana moon 27 !! Thank you for the lovely flowers! Today has been a good day! Never left the house, but am very excited about my new house and just spent today relaxing, napping, and not doing much. My friend's son came over this morning to mow my lawn for me and to wash my car, so it was nice to catch up with him. I'm SO glad that you took it easy today and are feeling good this evening!!

Tomorrow I am meeting friends for happy hour at a very fun place with a huge outdoor patio. As it's supposed to be 80 here tomorrow, it will be great to be out and about (in capris, of course).

Mmmmmm @Pumpkln , I love all things lemon! That custard sounds delicious! There is a Culvers not far from me, but I've never eaten there. Now I may have to try. I'll take tart over sweet any day, so good to know that their lemon custard isn't too sweet!

xoxoxoxo

Hey @DogLoverx3 I am over the moon your friends son came over and did that for you. You must have done some real positive thinking. You were only saying that you thought he'd abandoned you x x x x I'm proper happy for you x x x x x any thing to tell? Xxxx I B me if necessary x x x

Hahaha, although it was wonderful to see him @Nana moon 27 , I think he was just broke. :wink: I do pay him to help me out, but I think I get the better end of the deal. He told me he's saving up for a new car so that he'll need a raise. I said I'd consider a raise if he stopped blowing me off and showed up when he said he would. :whistle: Nothing much to report, did ask him something I shouldn't have and got a startled response. I don't think he realizes that his dad and I don't talk anymore. :scratch: He did run a bunch of stuff by me about things going on in his life that he wanted some input on, so that's sweet that he still trusts my opinion.......

Well DogLoverx3, I read a lot of your pages, and wow, you have had a time of it!! Unlike you (on your first post) I probably would NOT have had this surgery if I had read this forum first..lol. In fact, have had the kind of day (you know it well) where I have cursed the minute I decided to have a knee replacement. However, your thread has been pretty inspiring and funny and I love that you love your dogs as much as I love mine. (12 yr old Norwegian Elkhound...got him at the shelter, slightly neurotic, a big furry bundle of love). Trying to tell myself that this is just a day, it will pass and tomorrow I most likely will NOT be a lump of pain and grouchiness. Will be testing the 'waters' with my OS early this week since I am almost out of pain meds (10.325 hydrocodone) and am fully prepared to throw a tantrum if I do not get a refill. Thanks for the support!

@mtnchyld , I would absolutely suggest getting your pain meds refilled from your OS. If he gives you a hard time (which he shouldn't), many people have had better luck with their GP. You are so early on, barely 3 weeks, since your surgery. I do not envy you where you are in recovery right now. Weeks 3-4 were my toughest. I was exhausted, in large amounts of pain, feeling hugely sorry for myself, totally confused and totally regretting what I had done to myself. I won't lie and say that I don't still regret doing this, I just regret it less than I did to begin with and hopefully, one day soon, I won't regret it at all. It's just a LONG and SLOW and sadly painful process.

I'm glad that you have been able to find a bit of inspiration in my thread. That makes me feel good. If I can help just one person to not make the same mistakes that I have and to avoid just a fraction of the pain that I've gone through, then I'm happy.

A 12 year old Norwegian Elkhound?!?! That's an amazing age. You must be an awesome doggie mom!!

BTW, you are totally allowed to have bad days. Down days. Pity party days. It's all part of the process, but I promise you that it will get better!

Hi Ellen, I just read about your new house. Big Big Congrats. I just asked you about that on my thread. glad all is well. bill

@mtnchyld as Ellen says at three weeks you are just at the very beginning and it is a really tough time. At three weeks when someone would ask me would you do this again I would tell them no flippin way would I ever ever do the other knee. Well today I am doing great at 12 weeks and have zero pain. I am a lucky one I think. Would I ever do the other knee. Now I would say maybe. The recovery process is very trying, and tiring, and is very difficult. Just hang in there my friend and you will come out the other end much better, and with a new shiny knee to brag about. Thank Goodness you have found this wonderful site with all its very supportive and caring people. bill

Thank you @fiftydollarbill ~ my inspection is tomorrow, so fingers crossed :) Glad you are doing so well! I still can't imagine ever saying 'sure, let's do this again!' :shocked:

Well, today was an interesting one. Heard from someone I haven't heard from during this entire process and wasn't quite sure how to deal with it. I opted to go to happy hour with friends. :angel:

I start back at physical therapy tomorrow. I've taken the past 10 days off. I don't think I've lost any ROM, but I can never tell about my flexion, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I would like to work on quad strengthening exercises but am not a fan of squats or anything with a band, so not sure if that's possible. Also need to work on my balance and walking better. I fear this recovery is never going to end sometimes. I did decide that vodka worked better than pain meds this evening though, so that's something at least :martini::heehee:

I hope everyone had a great day! I'll have to catch up tomorrow! xoxoxxo

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads