THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardie, as I said, I can't view the video, so I don't know what creases you're talking about.

Giraffe44 Cardie is more than two years post-THR. I am sure she realizes that recovery takes time. However, at this point it is reasonable for her to be somewhat proactive in pursuing her goals.
Sorry, just trying to be encouraging.

For goodness' sake, Giraffe, there is no need to apologise.

I am no doubt very simplistic in my thought process, but I did have the idea that we were all trying to encourage each other though a difficult time.

Not in a competition for who gives the best "advice".

Hi Cardie,
I also have uneven creases on my back. One of the Physio's made a point about it but I can't remember what. I do think it is due to my gait or something that is not 'normal'. There is some meaning to it. Since my surgery, my Massage therapist had said the creases are still uneven but had improved which I think is due to things getting better. If I find out what it actually means I'll let you know :)

I've always worked with either the PT clinic owner or the Clinic director at the last place. In my first round of PT with the owner, who was a lovely man, I used the biodex machine:
at0_gstatic_com_images_ab2719d0d75957b4fae0634e2a19662c._.jpg

It measures the strength of your quads vs. your hamstrings and shows when they are in balance properly and some scientific arches and stuff. All you do is lift and lower your leg against some resistance as fast and best you can for a short period of time -- no biggie, well at least in a past life!!! My SI joint and QL muscles in my back were just about paralyzed from this test for a few days afterwards. I told my PT man no more biodex, it's off the list that I couldn't do it using the appropriate muscles and was compensating in a way that was detrimental. He was shocked that I'd actually hurt my *back* doing the movement but respected my saying it was a no go. I will admit that as I got closer to discharge and had gotten stronger I did ask to try it again and braced myself differently so that I wasn't using my back to lift -- I thought it was a fascinating machine, but just really inappropriate for me in my weakened state.

sharonslp and zauberflöte the only person that needs to be pleased when it comes to PT is YOU and if something is out of sorts stop and speak up -- if something seems like it might be dubious in terms of causing a problem stop or ask for the PT person to model the form and question which area you think might be problematic for you. In the end it does you no good to go home hurt after a session. If an exercise doesn't work for you at home tell them, in fact I used to bring my exercise sheets in once a month to review/add/eliminate what was useful and what I wanted replaced.

Hey Jyoti I think my back creases are caused because of the rotoscoliosis in my spine and the tilt of my pelvis neither of which have improved since surgery. Is that something like what you might have been told???

Giraffe44 thank you for your encouragement, I need all that I can get!!:) Hope you are doing well.

Hi glynis thanks for popping in and how exciting about the new royal baby, I hope they are all adjusting well!!

Speaking of the foam roller, I should probably go and roll for a bit -- tomorrow I may make a venture into the swimming pool if only to soak we've had a bit of normalization to the outdoor temperature finally!!!

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Cardie,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having pain. Your discipline with PT is amazing to me. At my one year checkup my Dr. suggested a PT visit for hamstring pain, but I put it off, and has mostly gone away, except when I sit too long.

I am at 16 months now and if anyone asked me to do a one-legged squat I would just laugh.

My best to you and admiration for your determination.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hi Cardie,
I also have Lordosis and a pelvic tilt so I'm sure it's the same thing. Your machine sounds interesting. I have also compensated with my back and the Feldenkrais guy has given me exercises to do without using the back. I have noticed I have improved over the year with my strength and walking. My short walks are better but still need the crutch for longer walks. However, what I will say is I think by going to the gym, pool seeing my Personal Trainer and Feldenkrais is all helping me. Good luck with everything.
Jyoti

Hi Jyoti

It sounds like you are getting a bit more time off of the cane?? If so that is great progress!!!

Glad that you are still finding Feldenkrais helpful and that you have a good trainer. I just did another couple months of PT and it was somewhat helpful. I think that I have hypermobility issues and have some trouble using the correct muscles for some exercises e.g. when working on core (planks) I was contracting a lot of other things before getting to my abdominal muscles.

Nice to hear from you and good luck as we continue on our work :)
Cardie

I guess it is always one foot in front of the other in life Cardie... Gets tiresome though doesn't it?

Hi Cardie,
Yes I am able to not use the cane/crutch for the generally short walks. So things are getting better. That's the thing, we learn to compensate so much pre-op that it's still hard post-op. Keep at it and take care.
Jyoti xx

the only person that needs to be pleased when it comes to PT is YOU
You are so right C Mac Cardie! I looked at that machine you posted up there and my S-I joint hurt, so whatever you did I would do too. I have to position myself very carefully in a "perfect chair" to do leg lifts.
I don't have a generous PT clause in my heath insurance, so I have to make 10-11 visits last the whole year, saving some for unforeseen circumstances. You are so very dedicated, I'm really inspired!

Wow, it's been a while since I've visited my thread...

I am still doing my adaptive yoga class weekly and find there are fewer times that I think I'll dislocate my hip in certain poses and stretches. I do have a neurofibroma in my incision and meralgia paresthetica so have been trying some medications to help with that issue. Someone suggested that I could have a nerve block done for it, but I'd rather just wait a while longer and see if anything resolves more with time.

Still plugging away with the lyme treatment… didn't realize that you can also get this and the corresponding co-infections from blood transfusions as well as tick bites!

I've gone thru the rounds with the lift in my shoe again and just never get anything that really seems to work -- even the lift on the normal side as suggested by the OS! I can't seem to affect the rotoscoliosis in my spine and get it straightened out with anything.

Still chugging along,
Cardie

Hi Cardie, lovely to I hear from you even if life is still just chugging along.

You have been so patient whilst trying to work through so many issues, one day honey, one day..

Hi @C Mac ,
Good to hear a fellow dysplasia hippie with a very similar back story is still chugging along. I am back at Pilates and Lyengar yoga....but modified...and doing well. Lots of exercise physiology sessions have also helped to work on my other knee and get the biomechanics corrected. Isometimes worry about dislocations too but my Exercise Physiologist assures me the muscle capsule is very strong! Have a check up on Feb 7... Almost a year. Glutes need more filling out and metal prosthesis is quite prominent but guess that's just the way it needed to be positioned!?
So all's pretty good. I can walk forever and people tell me my gait is good.
Cheers
Fran

anew years party.jpg
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.

I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.

Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.

SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
anew years party 1.jpg
bottomshollow

Happy New Year Cardie, haven't heard from you for a while, I'm hoping thats because you are too busy having a fun life.:)

All the best for 2014

Ann.xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Forum statistics