THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am taking some time on this rainy day to read some posts. I now have read yours from the beginning. I now have a better understanding of your frustration AND your tenacity in trying to resolve your issues. I am so sorry for the ups and downs of your recovery.

A torn meniscus was the start of my journey actually. Yes, my hip was week, and I had a little limp that, of course, kicked up my SI joint sometimes, but with regular chiro care and periodic PT to work on muscle strengthening, I was ok. I could go to the gym, ride my bike etc. then I had a fall done the steps, torqued myself and all of a sudden knee, hip and back were a mess. Went to PT, worked on knee, to no avail, and all the limping was putting pressure on other hip, limp, SI bla bla bla. Finally had the MRI, found the torn meniscus and had it fixed. That surgery was really no big deal in the scheme of things. went back to PT to get range of motion in knee back, but the hip never would settle down, and consequently SI always screaming even with chiro care. Then did everything I could to avoid hip surgery and when I exausted all options, 2 yrs after fall, I had it done.

I am only 8 wks out so my frustration with recovery pales in comparison to your journey. I look forward to hearing what becomes of your step into the feldenkrais method. You truly are an inspiration to me as far as you have not given up on your body. I am sure emotionally it has been difficult, chronic pain is such a burden, but you always come back around to trying something else and I wonder if you realize how much credit you deserve for that. I see you posting on others pages, and I also see you have not had a post yourself in a long while. I wonder why that is. Sounds like you are not done needing support yourself so I hope you post soon and get that. You deserve it too. Hope I am not being too forward in saying that :) -Cathy

10 month update:

At this time last year I was hunkering down trying to be as brave as possible in the face of my dreaded, upcoming THR surgery. I was also trying to make sure that all the garden areas of my yard were in good shape so that they could be unattended thru the summer and yet still provide me with something pretty to look at while I gimped around inside…I certainly didn’t expect to be continuing to rehabilitate my body from the surgery at this point, but that is my job for a while longer.

I have had 5 rolfing sessions and they have been so helpful that I am ready to start something new – Feldenkrais, to enable me to move around and walk a little more normally. I tend to have a very strong left leg that lines up nicely and walks well and then I have my THR leg that is a smidge shorter, a bit less strong and lined up completely differently now. So, I still have a bunch of maladaptive habits that I engage in when I walk and now I’m ready to try and change them.

My work in the gym is going ok. (been 21 times now, not that I’m counting:heehee: . Still mostly focused on my limited leg routine, with the addition of the adductor and abductor machines. I had to take a little break a few weeks ago because my back (on the good side) decided to spasm – in part because I did a bunch of different activities and then tried to massage & fiddle with it and then do a bunch more activities on top of that… I try to envision that my spine is untwisting some and my pelvis is dropping some and maybe that was what that rebellion was all about.

My hip feels pretty good – no more pulsing with the anti-inflammatory meds or acetaminophen for quite a while now. I have learned that I must stretch and do a few key things every day in order to keep my leg feeling good. One is the foam roller stretch for my IT band and the other is the 4 way cable exercise to keep my adductors from being tight at the groin. Still got that trochanteric bursitis, but it seems to help if I stretch the IT band regularly.

My meniscus seems to be settled down, so no more research into prolotherapy or one legged exercises! My tear was horizontal (like the slice you make when you cut a bagel in half) on the internal loop of the lateral meniscus – so I’m hoping it’s sealed itself back together. My SI joint is doing better and I’ve come to the realization that it is related to my gluteus medias at the point of insertion on my illium & the change in angle/tension from the THR!!! The rolfer worked on it some last week & the chiropractor on it this week.

Oh, and still no lift in my shoe!!!! :thumb:

I’ll check in with the OS at my one year mark, what a relief to be done with those visits – he probably says the same about me! :wink:

Thanks for checking on me, :friends:
Cardie

Wow! Sounds like you really have a great handle on what you need to do to keep going and feeling better. I'm impressed!

You said something about it being a relief to be almost done with your OS visits and joking that he probably says the same about you, ha ha! I joke about that too (although maybe *my* OS would be serious about it <grin>). I am very detail oriented, tend to ask tons of questions and need to know a lot of info. Every visit is packed with "what about this, what about that, expain this/that ..." AND I also email him here and there when I have more questions--I think that is probably less disruptive than if I call or go to his office with questions--he can answer at his leisure. I'm just one of those "detail oriented, need to know" people and warned him about that early on. He's always very nice too me ... but, I bet he rolls his eyes sometimes when he sees "it's Dorothy again ..." ha ha!

Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

Well, your OS sounds like a nice guy with answers to give to most of your questions! You are lucky that you have forged such a relationship with him and that you have access to his knowledge even via email correspondence. I am very detail oriented as well and did get answers to my questions before surgery. Once I was off the textbook recovery path I was faced with few answers and mostly just "I don't knows." This included when I requested that he help support me by facilitating a connection with another younger CDH patient that was a year or further out from surgery that could help offer me a glimmer of hope in my recovery process -- refused... :cry:

So, now I just write him a letter periodically and let him know how I'm doing and the issues I am struggling with and I look to the other supportive professionals that can help me with the problems. He did his job, the big installation, now it's up to me to make it all work in my day-to-day life. I like to think that it's a good thing I don't have to see him as that would mean there was a problem that might require another surgery.

Take care,
Cardie

You truly are an inspiration to me as far as you have not given up on your body.

Hi Cathy,

Let me tell you there were a couple points in time where I threatened a big tantrum and wanted my crummy old hip back!! :hairpulling: But what's a girl to do, you can't really give up (or get a return of the old parts...)

My OS office has a research component tied to their practice, they study wear and tear of joint replacement appliances. At a point in recovery I was discreetly given the paperwork for the retrieval donation of my fake hip joint at death and fortunately didn't open the letter and read it until I was home... :heehee:

It surely has been more work than I'd bargained for but in the end has lead me here to the BS forum to provide support to other hippies that I was unable to get for myself. I'm glad if I've been of help or inspiration. :friends:

Take care,
Cardie

Hi Cardie,
Had my Feldengrais session and look forward to hearing about yours.

Glad everything is slowly improving. I've been reading your posts in other threads also and found we have similar issues in how you have described how your cdh effected you over the years. I know it will be different also but I can't remember in which thread you wrote about your condition pre-op and I could really relate to it.
Thanks for the support and good luck with your session
Jyoti :friends:

Hi Cardie, I've been looking at the Feldenkrais information. It seems really interesting but I don't know if we have it here. I would be interested in developing my awareness of movement as I think I may need it especially as my Hubby keep telling me to concentrate when I'm walking, he watches me like a hawk :biggrin:

I really hope it helps you :thumb:

Your tenacity is inspiring, it's a shame you haven't had the support you have needed in recovering to the best in your ability but I know you will get there in the end with your strength and determination. I don't as yet know what my outcome will be but I have to say it again, you have been a massive influence in my recovery and confidence throughout all this. You have no idea how many different words I have had to google after reading your posts.lol. You are a mind of information and what you have learnt along the way is also a huge benefit to all us other hippies. I thank you for that Cardie.

Wishing you a perfect outcome, you deserve it.

Ann

xxx

Alrighty... to Feldenkrais or not to Feldenkrais (as Jyoti said in her thread) this is the question and now I understand why she may have posed it...

I had my appointment this morning and tried to go in with an open mind, ready to do whatever the next step is in this process. As I prattled on about my "history" of the past 10 months and listed off more names of muscles than a girl should have to in a conversation my instructor informed me that she really did not care at all about the muscles and that I can continue to do what I'm doing with regard to them but she is really more concerned with the movement of the system as a whole.

This is a very subtle and much more intuitive type of therapeutic approach than either rolfing or physical therapy or much of anything that I've experienced before. She watched me walk, barefoot, some and then had me lay on the table (fully clothed) on my side and did some very subtle types of movements with my foot, ankle and leg. One side and then some on the other side as well.

I seem to have some issues that pertain to my knee and also to my pelvis as it relates to my back. I got a little movement to work on that involves laying on my back with knees bent and feet flat on the ground. I am to very subtly roll my pelvis (or tilt) so that my spine is elongating a bit and my breath is deep in my abdomen and tailbone elongating and tipping a bit. This is all supposed to be a teeny, tiny subtle movement -- not a pulling or pushing or tensing of anything and not really a movement that involves the brain.... That's it, just do this movement once a day -- but really only when I feel like it and not because I have to, or it's time or whatever more logical rationale I might have.

Very nice, it is a yoga type of peaceful session -- which is lovely. She'd like to see me every week and thinks it would be great to continue to have the rolfing appointments at the same time. She thinks I'm going to have to put forth more effort at being in my body vs. all the other distractions I tend to like to focus on that don't require me to be in my body in that same way. Cue the peaceful yoga music and the wind chimes whilst the pale colored silks wave in the breeze.

OK, I'll try it a couple times and see if I can get some benefits. I'd love to go every week and to continue with rolfing as well -- however, that's not an option financially. So, no real opinion yet to be rendered on this modality for me.

Take care,
Cardie

Sounds lovely and relaxing. Please let us know how it goes. If only insurance would see the benefit of these alternatives for people. Well maybe someday, chiropractic used to be viewed as so out there. Hope it helps.

Hi Cardie

Just had to search out your thread... I read your post on Diane's thread and just loved the thought about measuring the milestones (sorry, can't remember the exact wording)... But what caught my eye was the 'Ta Da' and suddenly we have achieved ... I know I haven't explained this very well, but it rang true for me, so had to come and say thank you :)

Ditto that for me too, Cardie. You are my voice of reason. Like, let's start living and check in, in maybe a month and assess then, rather than checking in and waiting to live! Thanks for always (at least trying) to make me be a little more reasonable. :th_heehee:

Hi Cardie,
It is interesting this Feldengrais and so difft to traditional methods. It sounds as if the assessment was very similar. The exercise you said is similar to one of mine, butt I bend one knee up and have the other leg straight and rotate my pelvis and bent leg over the straight leg.

You posed the question in my thread of my QL muscle being tight. And yes it is. I do use my back more on my right side when rotating my pelvis.

I was told to do 2 exercises but on each leg and to do certain reps and to do it daily rather then as and when. That's different. I have been bad and haven't done it for the past 3 days. Need to get back at it. It isn't hard but it is slow and you need to take your time and 'think'.

One of my exercises really makes my butt ache. It is in the region of the glute medius so hoping that will help with my walking sometime soon
Look forward to hear how you progress.
Jyoti

Thanks for posting about this. In a "past life" (meaning many moons ago haha) I used to be a massage therapist and had always wanted to try this method of treatment. Keep posting about it, I am quite interested. If anything, it is nice, in the midst of all this recovery stuff, to have a modality that is peaceful. -Cathy

Thanks cardie, for your thoughts on my thread. It is nice to feel validated. Things can sure get confusing and you are right, i don't think I was fully prepared. I figured at 3 months, which is only 2 wks away, that I would be so much further along. Oh well, it is what it is as they say. Keep that feldenkrais
info coming. -cathy

i don't think I was fully prepared. I figured at 3 months, which is only 2 wks away, that I would be so much further along.

So many fall into this trap Cathy. I blame the surgeons. To them the op is over and done and they move on to the next "victim". That leaves all of us healing and wondering why we can't do it faster!

Don't forget this is major surgery. Lots of healing to do - and yes it takes patience and determination. Hang in there - life gets better from here on out!

Hiya Cathy great photo...you look very cool.

Jaycey has it spot on about the surgeons methinks. I remember discussing with mine about recovery and he said he had done a very similar op to mine with another patient and the only problem he had afterwards was with balance!!!! So here's me thinking I would be feeling tickety boo after except for feeling a bit wobbly in my head....if only eh! I'm sure all hippies would be over the moon if that's all they had to contend with.

Keep up the resting

Take care

Ann

Sorry for hijacking your thread Cardie:rolleyespink:

Hi Cardie,

Been catching up on peoples' threads and I must say, your wisdom is so helpful. I use much of it, especially the non exercise stuff like napping, taking a break from exercise, etc. I must be careful not to over do it with those ideas:hysterical: All kidding aside though, I appreciate your experience and willingness to share it because it hits home all the time. Thank you.

Hey there, sorry I have not recreated my pm that got blown away, but wanted to check in on you. How are things? How the feldenkrais! And Rolfing going? I am hoping it is being helpful for you and you are feeling a bit better. Fill us in when you get a chance, cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie