THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I declare! A doctor who doesn't doctor!
Doesn't deal with soft tissue related issue my eye!
:DOH:

He's not a doctor, he's a technician!

I think you are doing well, overall Cardie. it really takes time and you are just at six months. I think you just need a little more time to get back to normal. Some of us are just that way, huh?

Thanks for posting that link on Rolf massage. Someone had suggested this type of massage to me two or three years ago and the only person offering it around here was in Bethesda. That was a little too far for me to go but I see there are now people offering this all over the place.

Hi Cardie,

Your visit apart from his quirky comments sounded like it went well...or am I too simple tonight maybe I read it wrong forgive me! What type of dr works on soft tissue problems? One thought though you mentioned the pain further down your femur and he said bone growth, you are way ahead of me in recovery time, however I do remember when I broke both my femurs I would get pain in the odest of places most of the time nowhere near the breaks itself. Even now with my hip my tingles and odd sensations are coming from further down the leg above my knee. I probably sound silly right now, sorry!

My visit tonight is to say THANK you for the tushcush I ordered this morning and hopefully will get it by Monday!

Stay strong, you really are early into the recovery my PT lady had said 4-6 months and i still think a full year is realistic with complete recovery. Josephine can correct me because I really have no clue :)

xxooxx

There are some others that work on soft tissue issues as well -- like a chiropractor, physiatrist, practitioners that provide various types of "massage" like the rolfer that I'm going to later this month. I even saw an MD that offers prolotherapy & PRP (platelet rich plasma injections) as a way of dealing with these types of issues. Of course physical therapy also addresses these types of issues as well -- under the prescription of an MD.

I tend to like the approaches that don't involve just the option of surgery and/or a shot of cortisone so I tend not to go to the orthopedists in my area. I had thought once I had the new hip installed that I'd be done seeking and paying for alternative medical procedures. My OS also mentioned that I could see an acupuncturist!

He really is a nice little man, my OS, and just wants me to settle down and let things heal. I'm the one that is like a dog with a bone on this hip issue, just won't give it a rest on why it's not being what I'd expected! I think I need to get a job and get a hobby...

Sarah, I do hope you like the tush cush! Thanks for the insight into the femur feelings as your fractures were healing. I sometimes feel like my leg is an alien to me now and can never seem to pinpoint why or what is feeling uncomfortable.

Karen, there are a few Rolfers listed in our area now. Let me know if you decide to try one -- I go to Kat Burnett, she's listed in there.

Maybe I should try some retail therapy -- no one suggested that yet! :loll:

Have a nice day,
Cardie

Cardie, when you start your Rolfing sessions would you please consider posting your thoughts and impressions? Rolfing is something I was interested in having done even before my surgery so it would be great to see the results on a fellow hippie.

Hi Cardie,
I will recommend retail therapy for you! It works pretty well for me, especially late at night when I can look at the sites on the computer. Hope you find some relief. I believe in massage therapy and have never done rolfing but understand it can give some good results. All the best to you.

Cardie, when you start your Rolfing sessions would you please consider posting your thoughts and impressions? Rolfing is something I was interested in having done even before my surgery so it would be great to see the results on a fellow hippie.

Hi Jen,

I found the first session to be very helpful. My knees were actually feeling as if they were moving better, and I could walk more normally for the rest of the evening! She went easy on me so I was not sore in an uncomfortable fashion that evening or for the next two days -- which was fantastic!! I am going back this Saturday and then about a month later. She usually sees people every 4-6 weeks but since she went a bit easier on me I get to come back early...

She starts the appointment by having you walk up and down a hallway to asses your gait & posture. Then you strip down to your underwear and she does the rolfing massage work with some lotion on your skin while you lay on the table. At a few points there is a sheet between you and she - this was the groin tendon zone for me (which she actually thinks is related to my adductors aka gracillus, etc). There was some work on my shoulders and neck/back and my scar tissue incision zone (anterior). At the end you stand there and she assesses how you seem to be standing after the work. Took about an hour and cost about $130.

I was most happy to see her complete skeleton display model -- no one I have gone to has a pelvis model for me to look at in real life and I needed to see the SI joint and other pelvic stuff in 3D realtime. She was also the first and only practitioner to touch and view my SI joint, everyone else just listens to the complaints...

I'll keep you posted on how this works out for me, so far I'm going to do this for a while and hope it gets my soft tissue issues resolved.

Take care,
Cardie

Thank you very much Cardie. It sounds like the session was well worth it. I know that there are no "cure-alls" but it seems like Rolfing does a great job of addressing those alignment and soft tissue issues that often result from having a joint(s) that is out-of-whack.

BTW, I love your avatar photo.

Hi Cardie,

This is an interesting approach, I was also looking at the website, never heard of before. Not sure I'm reading for massaging types of activities. I'm one of those odd ducks who doesn't care for a massage isn't that weird!

Did you go back To doing exercises you mentioned in another post you might wait until spring. Have you noticed the last few days there are a lot of posts with folks who have over done it with the exercises.....we know me by now I'm always looking for a reason NOT to exercise hahahahah! I did book my out patient therapy mid feb unless they have a cancellation, after reading a comment about taking that easy, I might only do 2 times a week instead of 3....maybe I'll meet the guy. First and see what I think. My last experience with PT was a few years back when my hip first acted up and I went to this place and I was so disappointed when they were working with me along with 3-4 other people at the same time, it seemed wrong especially when you see what they charge the insurance. It would be equivalent to a personal trainer session even more costlier.

Hope you are doing well :)

xxooxx

Hi Cardie,

The rolfing session sounds great and seems like the practitioner really knows her stuff. Glad she was gentle the first time and please keep us posted on how it helps you. I believe soft tissue manipulation can free up a lot of pain, tightness, etc. we encounter during our healing.

Sounds good Cardie, good to try other modalities... Anything at helps you is good for you. Being a Naturopath, I love all of the natural methods of helping us to heal.. Good for you, keep it up I would say.. xx

I am still having a break from exercising. I am trying to be linear in my focus so that I don't do a bunch of different things all at once and then I cannot identify what has helped and what has thrown me over the edge. :rolleyespink:

I was taking Celebrex (200mgs) for the past 10 days or so and that seemed to be remarkable in helping my leg and back both feel better -- so much so that I decided I was really having an issue with inflammation even though I hadn't thought that to be a problem. However, my stomach began to ache and I had heartburn so I had to stop. :sigh:

I am going to visit the OS on Friday for another series of x-rays and they did some blood work (sed. rate & CRP) which came back normal. Once I'm sure that my hardware bundle is still situated properly I'm going to try to formulate some sort of exercises/activity routine for the spring -- which according to yesterday's 60 degree weather, may have already begun here in the DC area! :flowerysmile:

Rolfing.:what:......I learn sooooooooooo many things from this forum

Here you go....

Rolfing in the UK

and I am loving your hair, @lisanewmc: If you need to borrow my "Resolve This" t- shirt I think it will go nicely :thumb:

Hoping the PT will go well for you and that the chair makes work more pleasant!!

Take care,
Cardie

How very interesting! I like the sound of Rolfing a lot, not many practitioners in the UK - Is it really popular across the pond?

And yes, your t shirt would match my hair very nicely thanks. I love purple......most of my house and a lot of my clothes are purple. I also love green. Purple and green together are the best.

Hey Cardie,

How are you doing? Thinking about you and hoping you are well. How about the rolfing, did you give it a go? Hope all is well.

Hi Diane,

I am hanging in there, still trying to find the instruction manual for this new hip...

My appointment with the PA last week went fine (she liked my Tshirt). Two docs and the PA viewed my x-rays and don't see any signs of infection or any other problems that could be related to the discomforts that I experience. My blood work, which was for inflammation (sed. rate & CRP) as a marker for possible infection, was normal.

The PA did a little leg length evaluation and speculated that my normal leg is now a bit shorter than the alien leg! Wondered if I'd tried a lift on the normal leg.... UGH! I'm hoping to see my PT person and have a true measurement done, just to see what I'm dealing with. I did query a bit about how they determined the angles for my new hip and it appears they use a template of my other hip. So, I think that it's official -- I have 2 left legs...:rolleyespink: I guess my soft tissue issues are all related to the new geometry of my leg and my body's rebellion to these changes. "Abnormal Anatomy" is the term that I've heard a few times now.

No real ideas or suggestions given on how to get to any level of activity. I did get a script for Mobic/Meloxicam so, now take that in the morning and extra strength tylenol in the evening... Never imagined I'd have to go on medication & certainly can't continue that forever!

Two rolfing appointments so far and those seem to be helpful in loosening up my knees and helping them work like hinge joints again. I go back in about 3 weeks. I'm hoping it will help with my SI issues, I think that when they hammered that cup into my acetabulum they shifted my posterior superior iliac spine out of alignment.

Thanks for asking about me, I'm still in my hibernation mode on exercise & gloomy because of it.
Take care,
Cardie

Hello Ardie,

I love the color of your tshirt too!

Is your OS or the PA giving you any ideas what it causing the pain...is the pain better with not doing the exercises? I would be frustrated not knowing, sorry!

I'm glad the Rolfing is going well that sounds good and love the idea your spring is around the corner, springtime is the best to get out and enjoy.

Hope hour weekend is going well.

xxooxx

Hi Cardie,

Thanks for your update. Sorry you are still having pain and hopefully they can figure it out soon and you can have some relief. Two left legs and abnormal anatomy...don't you just love being the special one? Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks