THR My Intro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianemarie

graduate
Country
United States United States
Cardie,

So glad to hear the rolfing is helping and so sorry to hear about your meniscus tear. Have they recommended surgery to fix it?

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
gold
I would expect it only has to do with the use of the Hana table in that it's made the tissues angry. Having the knee in unsupported suspension with tension and torque being applied to it could aggravate an already damaged knee. Sounds like it needs an arthroscopic trim.

OP
OP
C Mac

C Mac

post-grad
Country
Well, of course that's what the knee man recommends, arthroscopic removal of the torn bit. I'm sure the docs would view my knee as "already damaged" at my age -- even though I didn't have a knee complaint until I came home from the hospital...

Between my knee and my SI joint I don't think the hana table was the best choice for me -- but, the more traditional options may have had the same results I suppose.

I'm in no hurry for more surgery and am now researching prolotherapy as a way of trying to get my body to continue to resolve the cartilage injury on it's own. It has improved over the past 9 months -- of course the doc doesn't think it will resolve itself. It may not, at my age...

Prolotherapy means stopping any anti-inflammatory meds so that the inflammation can create healing of the meniscus -- but that's ok, I have been pulsing them anyway (1 week on, 3 weeks off).

I really have to get another hobby............................:rolleyes:

Josephine

NURSE DIRECTOR EMERITUS
Nurse Director
Country
gold
Don't write it off. As you can see, I had an arthroscopic meniscus trim seven months after my TKR. The knee has moderate arthritis so in keeping with that the cartilage was more shredded than torn, which I would suspect might be the same with you. At the follow-up, the surgeon said "See you next year for the replacement then"! but that was 2½ years ago and it's still holding good.
You really never can tell about these things - they defy prediction.

Jyoti

senior
Country
HI Cardie,
Thanks for the advice and help about Rolfing. Sorry about your knee. I still get knee and also foot pain. Must be alignment etc. I did talk to my Physio and he spoke of it taking time and saying I expected to be 'perfect' following on from the surgery. I agree, I had greater expectations but I did say if I could walk independently I would be happy and know that everything else still has a chance for improvement. It won't be the year but longer.

He said he'll put some exercises together for the gym. But also spoke to my Personal trainer and said I wanted to start up but this time I will take it alot easier. Will need to rest inbetween as before I overdid it which just aggravated the knee even more.

You're right about the lift. The physio said I need to have one as it levels my hips and he hopes will help to activate my glutes and hip abductors.
Fingers crossed.

Good luck and hope your pain improves and thanks for everything

Jyoti :friends:

dianemarie

graduate
Country
Hi Cardie,
Thinking of you. Good luck with the prolotherapy. I had arthroscopic surgery for menicus tearseveral years ago, could weight bear immediately after surgery, used crutch for a few days mostly for balance and have never had another problem with it. I do know what you mean, though, about not even wanting to hear about surgery...

Country
To add to what the others have said, keep in mind that arthroscopic surgery is a walk in the park compared to a replacement.

I need another hobby too. I'm going to run out of joints to replace pretty soon....but then I guess I can continue with revisions. Ugggg...:sigh:

Jen

senior
Cardie, thank you for that earlier update on your Rolfing sessions. I've read that sessions 4-6 are supposed to be the ones that really go deep so hopefully you'll feel even better results as we move into spring.

So sorry to hear about your knee. I can understand why you wouldn't be too keen on surgery just yet, especially if you've seen improvement over time. I actually did some research into prolotherapy way back when I thought my SI joint was the main cause of the pain around my PSIS. The results for the SI joint were mixed but I recall that the people who had it performed on their knees seemed very satisfied. If you do decide to go that route I really hope it's successful for you.

OP
OP
C Mac

C Mac

post-grad
Country
Well, on the knee surgery. As the eternal pessimist that I am by nature I am concerned that by removing my knee cartilage I'll be setting myself up for arthritis and the need for knee replacement surgery in the future.

Additionally, after my experience with the hip surgery I'm a little concerned that someone will torque my other knee and rip the cartilage in there and that the time on the operating table will exacerbate the SI problem that I came home from the hospital with and still haven't been able to get to abate....

Ahhhh, such a cheerful bouquet of happy thoughts.... :cry:

dianemarie

graduate
Country
Hey Cardie,

Just checking in now that the site is up and running again. How are you these days? Any rolfing sessions? Check in when you can.

OP
OP
C Mac

C Mac

post-grad
Country
Hi Diane,

My next rolfing appointment is in 2 weeks. It's a long break in between sessions, but at $130 per session I can't complain too much. I have been going to the chiropractor once a week to have him work on my lower back muscles and I must say that I do notice less protrusion of the PSIS bone in my back -- FINALLY, after 9 months!! I still have burning & tenderness in the muscle at the SI joint, but maybe it is gradually improving -- fingers crossed!!

I did have an ultrasound on my incision as I have this weird round pea sized lump that doesn't seem to be dissolving and is really very tender. I've had many a vision of it being a surgical staple that ended up where it wasn't supposed to be and have expected it to rise to the surface and pop out. The radiologist couldn't not make out any definitive objects like an earring, cuff link or other piece of debris. So, now I will pinch and kneed it more vigorously and hope that it goes away.

Have a good weekend,
Cardie

dianemarie

graduate
Country
Good luck with your "lump". We have all these little reminders of our surgeries...Wouldn't it be nice if in the future insurance companies would see the benefit of massage, rolfing, etc. and cover these services as they are so beneficial. Well, they did get on board with chiropractic so maybe some day...You reminded me that I need to get appt. for both...

Have a happy weekend yourself:friends:

lisanewmc

post-grad
Country
Hi Cardie

just catching up on your thread - pleased to hear that the chiropractic stuff is working for you, sorry about the other stuff:hairpulling:

Hang on in there my friend.Here's a virtual bunch of flowers to cheer you up:wubroses:

gizmo

Hi Cardie,
It certainly is a long haul this recovery buisness. You sound as if you have had lots of challenges. It was really useful reading through your thread. I also thought that I would be much further forward at this stage of the game. I keep telling myself I'll be better by .... as if I could somehow make it happen. I am noticing now I have started to increase the gaps by larger time intervals. Realistically I guess I have to admit I don't know how long and I just have to move forward as best as I can. I was really hoping to be out cycling and long walks with my kids by this summer- but at the moment that isn't feeling likely. A few minutes on a stationary bike is hard work!!
I was wondering about chiropractor for aches in my lower back and shoulders. How long have you been going? I did look up about Rolfing but there wasn't much info.- is it similiar to chiropractors or very different?
Hope your pain levels are improving. Thanks for always being so helpful and reassuring despite your own challenges. It does help a great deal.:friends:
All the best
Gizmo

OP
OP
C Mac

C Mac

post-grad
Country
Another Chris Carmichael quote that really inspired me:

"The only time I ever encouraged athletes to stop exercising was when their physicians said their sport or activity level might kill them."

Well, I am still operating within this framework -- just have to keep reminding myself....:heehee:

I hear from my GP that the ultrasound report includes that I have greater trochanter bursitis. She spoke to the OS about this before calling me and he told her that it was not unexpected after THR surgery. I had an inkling of this issue as when the radiologist announced my hip bursa while rolling the ultrasound gadget over my TFL area I felt a distinct tenderness... It's been bugging me for months, but it won't kill me...

@gizmo: I've been going to the chiropractor for over 16 years and thru 2 pregnancies. It's completely different from rolfing in that my chiropractor does gentle manipulation of my spine, sometimes little adjustments of my knees, shoulders, neck & long ago my hip (the real one, not the fake one). The chiropractor does some soft tissue massage, briefly, on occasion. I like having my spine manipulated and always feel immediate relief, increase in flexibility and ability to breathe more deeply again. Sometimes my adjustments are done lying face down on the table with gentle pressing on my upper and middle back areas and sometimes they are done when I lie on my back with my arms crossed over my body and sort of a bear-like squeeze while being pressed into the table (that sort of sounds uncomfortable, but it's really my favorite adjustment...).

The rolfer works on the fascia, muscle and connective tissue. She uses her forearms, elbows and strong hands/fingers to press/stretch & elongate all this soft tissue. I've never had a "massage" so don't really have a frame of comparison for that modality, but I think that rolfing is a bit more targeted and deeper. I sometimes have some muscle soreness a day or two after my rolfing appointment -- nothing that requires ice/heat/or meds but I feel I've been "worked over."

Thanks for all the pep talks from everyone on the arthroscopic procedure. I'm just a control freak and don't know how I'd control how much tissue the scope-man would take out. When I read those knee people's threads everyone always seems to start with having had meniscus issues and scope procedures -- it just feels like a slippery slope that will lead to another fake joint and it took me 6 years to acquiesce to this joint and that was with a congenital issue as it's base.

My time at the gym has it's high and low points. Sometimes it gets boring but the past two times I've increased my bike time and "bust my walnuts" found myself a little place on the rowing machine!!!!! :rotfl: Fantastic and it won't kill me..... My quadriceps have gotten stronger and that has decreased the aches that I'd been having in those muscles, I'm not sure if it has increased my flexibility but that's ok.

I'm still not satisfied with the way I walk, but an older gentleman at the chiropractor's office commented to me the other day that I didn't look like I had anything wrong with me!! HA, I basked in that comment & didn't mention the fake hip!!!

@lisanewmc: thank you for the cheerful flowers. I hope you are doing well!! I spent the weekend trying to help my daughter get a red streak into her hair -- first with koolaid and then with food coloring and conditioner. It worked and she's going to do this every week, now.... :snork:

Hope everyone has a good week,
Cardie

DallasSarah

post-grad
Country
Happy Friday Cardie,

See you got that great compliment that's good news! I always think of you as my healthy work out guru and know for sure you would run circles around me at Costcos hahahahah! Your last post on my thread just made me laugh, very funny!

Ive been naughty this week no gym no pt ewwwwwww! I say next week will work. I do my daily walks with master Miles, I can tell the difference not doing the exercises (darn)

For your daughters hair there are hair kits you can buy with the great colors, or the feather types or glitter ones where you either clip or light glue in, I forget the name of them. If I was going to our NY show I would grab you some when I go out to our LV show I'll make a mental note to go over and see, there not expensive. I'm laughing my coworker who is our age, conservative.....but she is the first to go and get her hair "Bling" it's soooooo cute and funny!

Have a good weekend too!

xxooxxx

Jen

senior
Cardie, it must have felt so great when that gentleman made that comment. Sometimes we are so hard on ourselves in terms of our recoveries. It is nice to have that external validation that says we're doing better than we think.

DallasSarah

post-grad
Country
Happy Easter Sunday Cardie!

Hope you and your family are having a lovely weekend.

xxooxx

VThereandnow

graduate
Country
Thanks for celebrating my post op with me. I need to go back and read your thread. I mostly see all the good advice you give to others. When you are newer, like me, it takes a while to catch up on people's stories. I think I have been over thinking the LLD issue. I think I will feel better when I get my chiropractors opinion AND an adjustment. With my funny back I usually go once a month for sure and after all my body has been through I need one now. To tell you the truth my hip has not been hurting that much, it is my back. Eventually it will all sort out. When I was using the walker I was so pleased my back did not hurt, then I switched to the cane and did not have the even support and UGH. Anyway, thanks again for sharing my good times and have a good wknd -Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JojoY
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom